Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
D'OH Member

Default CA Opens 33rd Prison, Kern Valley State Prison

Congratulations CA

We now have 33 prisons and it only cost us $379 Million. That was approx $11,000 per CA Resident and an annual operation budget of $136 Million.

Delano II now Called Kern Valley State Prison will house level I PWC's and Level IV, Ad Seg, SHU and PHU inmates.

With the opening of KVSP, the CDC can now house 176,500 of our loved ones and it only cost the state taxpayers Approx 5.9 Billion a year for the pleasure.

Richard

DELANO –- The California Department of Corrections (CDC) will formally activate California’s 33rd prison, Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP), on Wednesday, June 15, with the arrival of the first Level I (Minimum Security) inmates. Designed as a Level IV (Maximum-Security) institution, it will house about 5,000 inmates when it is fully activated in January 2006. The institution is also designed to be the first fully programmed Level IV institution in California with a variety of academic and vocational education programs, thereby increasing an offender’s chances of reentering society successfully.

“While California’s prison population has remained relatively stable over the last two years, there has been a significant increase in the number of maximum security inmates and in the average time served,” said Roderick Q. Hickman, Secretary of the Youth and Adult Correctional Agency (YACA). “This led to an increase in inmate violence and threats to staff and public safety.

“Prisons are designed to serve the public safety by keeping inmates in custody and preparing them for their eventual release. This new facility will ease the pressure and lower the risk to staff at the state’s other 10 maximum-security prisons,” Hickman added.

The number of maximum-security male inmates in California prisons has increased—in numbers and in percentage of total population—from about 28,230 inmates (18.8 percent of total population) in 2000 to about 31,730 (21 percent of total). In addition, the number of second- and third-strike inmates has increased from approximately 38,400 in 2001 to more than 40,200 in 2004. Coupled with these numbers is a gradual increase in average time served, from a relatively low 16 months in 1994 to 19 months in 2004.

The prison is composed of four facilities, including about 500 Substance Abuse Treatment beds and two Administrative Segregation Units (ASU). These four facilities are located inside the secure perimeter, which is composed of a combination of double fences topped with barbed wire, perimeter towers, a sophisticated communications system, and a lethal electrified fence. Located outside the secure perimeter are the Minimum Support Facility (MSF) and a number of prison-wide support services, including administration, warehousing and maintenance.

Inmates will participate in a number of academic and vocational education programs. There will be special programs that include general and a law libraries, religious programs, Arts-in-Corrections, recreation, and substance abuse treatment.

The prison construction began in June 2002. Design and construction costs were $379 million, with an annual operating budget of approximately $136 million. The prison is located on 480 acres, with an additional 200 acres on an adjacent site for wastewater disposal. When fully activated, the prison will have about 780 custody and 365 support staff..

Last edited by RPinSD; 06-13-2005 at 01:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
missing you

Do u know if they will start moving Pelican Bay SHU people over there? How far is Delano from the sacramento area?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:11 PM

Exclamation How CDC sees your family

RPinSD,
Remember us that work in CDC did not put your loved ones behind bars. In most cases I don't even get to meet your loved on until they have been convicted of a felony. Every one of the guys that parole from my unit, I tell them I hope to never see them again. Yes, it seems like a strange thing to say. But they get the point. Unfortunatly, I continue to see the same guys come back. I don't go out and get them to come back in because I miss them, they come back by their own choices.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Back 4 Round 2??

I dont think we ever blamed CDC for placing our loved ones behind bard I just think they make it so easy once you are a convicted felon to make a minor mistake and be placed back in prison!

With that being said I think it was more ment to be said this is a WASTE of my money!!! And I tell my fiancee all the time I am tired of paying for your free housing!! And you live better than some people I know!! Three hots and a COT!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Waste of Money?

Austinsgirl,
I really don't think it is a waste of money. By opening up another prison it makes more room for your loved one(s) to move around the units, more room to walk around the yard, and not sleep on triple bunks. With the overcrowding we have in the prisons today it causes stress just being around so many people. Unfortunatly, we have enough guys in our overcrowded prisons to fill up Kern Valley already. Like most of the OGs or Old Timers tell me now...."Prisons not like it used to be. I'm gettin' to old for this sh**."
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Donation Award 

Are they actually going to have a drug treatment facility or is this just a way to get the "OK" from the state to build the prison?

KellyA.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:58 PM

There is no such thing as a fully programming level IV yard. It will never happen. If the inmates were programming inmates they wouldn't be level IVs very long.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Sgt. what does that mean? That suprised me too. I never quite got what 'programming' means exactly...

Also, does anyone know if there will be a level 4 SNY there?

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

Old 06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

I wonder is any of our CDC employee members know what the ratio will be of experienced staff transferring to D2 -v- green COs as new as the facility itself? For that matter, are any efforts to be made to organize the transferred population as a mix of those experienced in the system and new/first time inmates?
I feel it in my bones that a big flock of new COs, in a new facility, with a population of new inmates is a recipe for disaster....
Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Disaster....

LeBeau,

Your right.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Qwerty, Programing is just a word for behaving. Means they have a job/school, follow the rules, etc. A programing yard would mean the majority of the inmates are like that and the yard would be relatively free of major problems/lockdowns.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBite
LeBeau,

Your right.
Thank you, I love being right, ask anyone , but are measures being taken to see that this does not happen?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:22 PM

Has anyone heard of transferring inmates from Salinas Valley to Delano 2? And does it have an SNY yard?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Closed

I realize that nobody but himself got him in there, but it kinda seems like its becoming a prison state which is kinda of scary......
Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 PM
~Hubby's Home~

Default delano 2

hey sgt, doyou know if this has a SNY yard for drop outs?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:03 PM

No I don't. I only know they will have 1 level I yard the rest is level IV. Not sure what programs will be ran.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Substance Abuse Programs

Here is a little information on why some of the programs in Prison are not working right. It's not CDC..It's your Governor's office and his friends.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (GA$) has promised to reform state government starting with the wicked prison and parole services. Given that, it is reasonable to look at how GA$ and his appointees have worked to control wasteful spending as they turn the reformed DORC into a mean, lean rehabilitation machine.
Your hoosegow chronicler has learned that a company providing in-prison substance abuse programs (SAPs) to inmates at several institutions under contract for the Office of Substance Abuse Programs (OSAP) was allowed to divert a cool $500,000 from those programs for the purpose of buying a recording studio.

That's right bunkie, a recording studio!

The company now produces films --- some of them about prisoners and drug treatment --- that are sold for hefty sums at its website.

This didn't occur on the watch of the spendthrift Gray Davis. This didn't occur in the evil antebellum CDC. This state sanctioned flimflam took place while the OSAP was under the watchful eye of Arnold's prison and parole Messiah, Sir Spud Hickman.

A governmental accounting course at Fresno State's MPA program not withstanding, OSAPian admits he is not wise in the ways of public financing and budgets. However, your occasionally fearless blogger does know enough about Jim L'Etoile-era contract shenanigans to understand that the diversion of half a million dollars to buy a recording studio meant that half a million bucks in treatment services was not provided to Driftwood's customers in the SAPs last year.

We know the management team that verbally approved the scam is long gone and no one left at OSAP wants their name associated with [now overdue] payments the company was promised when it was told purchasing the studio with treatment contract money was OK.

We don't know (yet) if it was legal for OSAP management to allow the company to redirect tax money that the legislature had allocated for in-prison drug treatment programs.

We do know that the entire affair appears to be highly inappropriate.

And we wonder if anyone in the legislature or mass media cares ...

Note: While OSAPian questions the judgment and motives of a company that claims to be dedicated to providing quality treatment programs instead spending half a million bucks on a recording studio, he knows the company did not make the big ticket purchase until OSAP management had approved it and promised reimbursement. Your blogger also remembers a conference call during which a manager proudly announced that OSAP was "in partnership" with the company's purchase of the studio.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Donation Award 

Here is another article on the new prison..

Delano II eases state's tense prison system
Newly opened facility may be California's last, officials say.
By Denny Boyles / The Fresno Bee
(Updated Wednesday, June 15, 2005, 5:19 AM)
DELANO — California's newest, and maybe last, prison was opened to the media for the first time Tuesday, providing an inside look at the latest way corrections officials hope to manage a prison population growing at an explosive rate.
Kern Valley State Prison is a 480-acre facility designed to hold 4,500 maximum-security inmates and another 500 in minimum-security inmates. The first minimum-security inmates will arrive early today, while maximum-security inmates aren't due until July.
Kern Valley will be used to ease overcrowding at other maximum-security prisons across the state.
Still, not everyone was happy about the opening of Delano's second prison. As cuts occurred in other state departments, the new prison cost $379 million to build and will take $136 million annually to operate.
Supporters point to the increase in the state's maximum-security population: from about 28,230 inmates in 2000 to about 31,730 last year. The system currently operates at 194% of capacity. Even so, prison reform advocates hoped Delano II never would materialize.
"People now are more interested in real public safety, and there's recognition that locking people up and throwing away the key is not the answer," said Rose Braz of the group Critical Resistance and Californians United for A Responsible Budget.
Kern Valley is the 33rd prison to be built in California and the 10th in the Central Valley between Tehachapi and Chowchilla. The prison, authorized in 1999 by Gov. Gray Davis, was initially estimated at $335 million.
Once maximum-security inmates arrive in this northern Kern County community, they will be held in four housing facilities, all of which are surrounded by high chain-linked fences topped with circular strands of razor wire.
Lower-security inmates will be housed in a separate facility and will perform landscape maintenance and other functions around the site.
The entire secure area of the prison is surrounded by a triple-layered fence, with two high chain-link and razor-wire fences separated by an electrified fence labeled with signs warning of lethal voltage. Perimeter towers are spaced evenly around the entire area as well.
Inside the fences, each facility has four separate buildings, which are further divided into small wedge-shaped sections called 180-degree housing units. That 180-degree design allows a small number of correctional officers to oversee three separate sections from a central control room.
Each wedge-shaped section features two tiers of cells with a shower in the middle of each tier. A small desk for correctional officers sits in the narrow portion of the wedge, under the control room.
Barred windows on the wall and in the floor are teamed with mirrors to allow the officers in the control room to monitor the inmates and also watch over the officers on duty in the cellblocks.
Cells in the prison are stark, with a few conveniences. Each 8- by 10-foot cell has two solid metal bunks welded to metal strips embedded in the thick concrete walls. Two 4-inch-wide windows and a single fluorescent fixture light each of the cells. A stainless steel toilet and sink, two storage spaces with four cubbyholes each and a small desk also welded to the wall are the only other furnishings.
The cells have two electrical outlets, and inmates are allowed two appliances per cell, including televisions, radios and even coffee makers. Those items are perks that must be earned by the inmates, some of whom will likely spend the rest of their lives in prison, said George Galaza, the new prison manager overseeing Kern Valley until a warden is appointed.
"These inmates will be level-four, high-security inmates. They are not the cream of the crop. Many have had multiple violent offenses, and they all have long rap sheets. But nevertheless, many will eventually parole back into the community, so we want to do everything we can to help them change their focus," Galaza said.
Galaza, who could be appointed warden at Kern Valley, said the prison was designed to offer the inmates as many vocational training opportunities as possible.
"When you're working, you are under a structure and performing a task. That leaves less time for trouble. We truly recognize that idleness with inmates leads to problems," Galaza said.
Each of the four facilities has numerous vocational training classrooms for programs, such as landscape design, silk screening, masonry and dry cleaning. Each vocational area is within the secure facility, and inmates will be subjected to multiple searches before and after each program.
When fully populated by inmates, the facility will employ 780 correctional officers and 365 support staffers, and will have an annual operating budget of $136 million.
Margot Bach, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections, said another new prison may not be built anytime soon.
"This is likely the last standalone facility that will be built in California. From now on we will probably just see additional work done at existing facilities," Bach said.
Meanwhile, here in Delano, the dusty Central Valley town where Cesar Chavez founded the United Farm Workers union, residents wonder if the prison will indeed create jobs for them, as prison officials contend.
Local residents are mostly Hispanic, a quarter of the population is unemployed, and half of the 42,801 people lack high school diplomas.
The town is already home to the 5,028-inmate North Kern State Prison, and City Manager Abdel Salem said few residents will qualify for the 1,145 new prison jobs, which require at least a high school degree.
"We're working hard, building new subdivisions and trying to attract more businesses," Salem said. "We hope this will be good, but only time will tell."
The Associated Press contributed to this story. The reporter can be reached at dboyles@fresnobee.com or (559) 622-2411.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBite
Austinsgirl,
I really don't think it is a waste of money. By opening up another prison it makes more room for your loved one(s) to move around the units, more room to walk around the yard, and not sleep on triple bunks. With the overcrowding we have in the prisons today it causes stress just being around so many people. Unfortunatly, we have enough guys in our overcrowded prisons to fill up Kern Valley already. Like most of the OGs or Old Timers tell me now...."Prisons not like it used to be. I'm gettin' to old for this sh**."

I agree with you on this one Not to mention the more guys you have in a over crowded prison the more chances you have for riots ond other things.. Now we just need to get a buget so we can have the correct amount of staffing in theses prisons just my

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***