Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,829 Times in 1,600 Posts
Thumbs up How to upgrade (boot) Hard Drives to newer (larger) drives - Acronis True Image

I thought I was pretty well versed in most things (basic) computers but I see there is always something new to learn, especially since new software and hardware is coming out at a high pace still.

FORTUNATELY, Christmas was good to me this year and I now have a new home computer to replace my aging (4 years old this January) Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that my grandmother gave me back when PTO was just getting off the ground. Do I really need to go and and say that using this old laptop is an exercise in patience?

So, I got a new Dell XPS 400 CPU which uses new SATA (Serial ATA) hard drives, has a dual core processor, a Gig of RAM and some other goodies.. It was smoking fast (especially compared to what I have been using) but since I do a lot of photo & video editing, another family member hooked me up with a Western Digital "Raptor" 74 GIG 10,000 RPM hard drive.. I know, most of you are like, "what!", "who!?"... The bottom line is it is a really fast hard drive which speeds up load times for programs, etc.. PROBLEM is that I needed to swap this new high-speed hard drive with the one that came with my new computer - the one with the Window XP Media Center Operating System and other software I had already loaded onto the computer... Simple as copying the hard drive? Haha.. yeah right..

Copying Date from one hard drive to another isn't a big deal unless it is a boot-drive (C: drive with your Operating System). This is where programs can help... But, the one that most people had been telling me about, Norton Ghost 10, had me spending a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong... It simply didn't work for me and after hours I started looking elsewhere...

I found a piece of software that did in 20 minutes what I had been spending hours trying to get to work with Norton Ghost, not to mention reading docs and surfing tech forums.. It is called Acronis True Image and it worked perfect! Link: http://www.acronis.com/

Best part is I used the free trial version to do it BUT as soon as I can afford it I may just buy the paying version so I can use it as a full time backup solution and on any future projects. The free trial did it all for me so if you just need to do this once you don't need to pay!

It has a Wizard that basically walks you through the steps as long as you have the new hard drive that you want to copy everything from your boot drive (usually 'C' drive) over to.

Ok, some of you may be asking why you would ever need to do this at all? First, and most importantly, if you have a hard drive going bad and don't want to start over, this program is for you! You don't have to re-install Windows or anything else!
The second reason is if you have the same old computer for a number of years the 20 Gig hard drive you once had is probably pushing maximum space. While you can move files and even most programs over to a secondary hard drive, my email accounts which are located on my boot (C) drive are over 13 Gigs alone.. You probably could relocate these someplace else but for me the need to have a larger (and especially faster) main drive is important. In this situation I simply wanted to put the super high speed hard drive as my boot drive but others may want to look into upgrading that old hard drive that is lacking space..

Alright... My little contribution to the Computer Tech - Help forum.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Satisfied

Well, I followed the info, but I don't think I'll ever need that sorta stuff. I'm too low maintence.

GOOD TO Know... and thanks for sharing!!!

Jenn
Old 12-27-2005, 12:29 AM

I just downloaded this. Sounds like a great program.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:50 AM

If you would've posted about what program to use, I would've told you Acronis!!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,829 Times in 1,600 Posts

In that case, I wish I had! I'm going to try and remove Ghost from my system.. Piece of crap in my opinion..