Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 11-30-2003, 02:44 AM

Exclamation long prison terms for drug crimes

[color=darkblue][size=3][b][color=skyblue]I'm just your average woman who's seen her father grow old in prison. I'd like to hear from inmates who have adult children on the outside looking in.. What do you want us to think & how are we supposed to feel? We miss you & can't change that! How do we keep a perspective that grows with time & the dynamic relationship that we as children have with our fathers and/or mothers who are sent to prison for over 20 years for drug crime(s) that has a punishment more severe than the average serial rapists and murderers???????

sending love to all those out there who relate!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2003, 11:20 PM

Well, I'm not exactly sure what it is you are looking for! However, I unfortunately have both my mother and father in prison for drugs. My step-father (not a first timer) got 11 yrs will be out in 2008, my mother (first timer) got 6 is coming in August. At first I was hurt, let down, etc...I tried to be tough, I had the attitude "you did the crime, you pay the time". Because I was young, I was very hurt and disappointed and had all these emotions running through my head I was not sure what I was supposed to feel. I had no contact with them in the beginning. I was disappointed. But as I got older and wiser I was able to forgive and forget. My mother and I are closer now than we have ever been before. I still to this day get teary eyed when I read a letter from either of my parents, or hear thier voice on the other end of the phone. I can't wait for them to come home and I can have my family back.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:45 AM

I believe our prisons are full of many of our loved ones that just plain and simple, don't belong there! The mothers and fathers, sons and daughters,husbands and wifes, ect aren't anywhere near a threat to society that many violent crime offenders are that are on our streets today! The victims in most of these cases are the families and the offender themselve!! Yes, drugs destroy lives but the system tears the family apart even more so. If a violent crime is commited while under the influence of ANY mind altering substance(alcohol included) then a harsh sentence is deserved. However many of our loved ones are not violent evil human beings. They are loving and very loved fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, husbands and wifes. This war on drugs has put so much shame around this issue that many of us don't speak out of the injustice we feel. To say this is wrong is not to say drugs are OK! I know this isn't what mzzzzred was asking for and I got alittle long winded, however I saw an opportunity to vent and I had to go for it!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:34 PM

I am a person who was doing the right thing going to school 2 classes from having my criminal justice degree. Raising 3 kids and was in the process of joining the army during the time of the Sept. 11 attack but all of that changed because of a confidential informant who was a prior drug offender who had caught 2 class A felonys for sales in a school zone. She was my friend and I thought she had beat the drug problem however she was given the chance to beat her cases by getting my boyfriend and father of my youngest child. A man she had a resentment against because of me. Anyway the only way to get him was to get me caught up in a case thinking I would turn on my man to get out of trouble. Not he isnt guilty and neither am I at best I was naive. Anyway the justice system is unfair and full of hypocrisy because the CI is still out doing drugs and living life any way she chooses, while I am fighting an appeals case and waitng to go to trial on another. The whole justice system is made to suck you under with no hope for help or even the chance to prove that maybe they made a mistake. I am a first time non violent offender and do not have a drug problem and yet someone who has been in and out of treatment and prison numerous times is a more beleivable person than me who works everyday and spends all my time with my kids.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Angie loves Shawn 4-Ever

Welcome to pto.