Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Default Has anyone been in Alderson & Marianna?

Trying to find someone whom has been to both to compare the atmosphere, educational programs, activities and rooms and is it better being at the larger or smaller facility. 1 is Medium Security FCI & 1 is Minimum Security FPC?
The Following User Says Thank You to newtolife For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,161 Times in 13,317 Posts

Inmates in medium FCIs spend a lot of time locked in their cells, with razor wire fences and armed perimeter guards, a real prison.

Minimum security fpc's have no locked doors, and most don't even have fences. That's all the information I would need.

The bop will decide where the sentence is served, mostly based on the prisoner's custody score.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5100_008.pdf
Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 AM

I just found out your lawyer can ask the judge to send you to a specific facility per women correctional facilities.....not sure about men. I would like people to know this information.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:43 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

If the judge specifies a certain prison, the bop says it is a "recommendation" not an order they must honor. Even so, it will usually increase your chances to be sent there, male or female.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Yes it was a recommendation but someone told me it wouldn't matter but it really does. You can also request for your restitution to begin after you are released...this will only happen if you have good judge.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Yes the bop will honor a judge's wishes about delaying restitution and fines until you are on supervised release. But you may have to show them proof to avoid having to pay through automatic withdrawals from your inmate account under the inmate financial responsibility program, IFRP. If your counselor's computer program says you are required to "volunteer" for IFRP, and you say no, you will be placed on commissary restriction as a "refuser". The same is true for folks who prepay their restitution. Unless the bop has proof, it didn't happen.

If your judge specifies a prison, you will have a better chance of being designated there, but the bop will decide. I was sent to a prison about 2000 miles from my "recommended" prison (which is what my lawyer was told the bop considers it to be).

Since there are far fewer women's prisons anyway, I hope you do get sent where you want.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,001 Posts

Over the past several months a PTO member from n/w SC was sent to Bryan, TX one from Charleston, SC went to Aliceville, AL, a member from south of Atlanta, went to Lexington, KY and one from Miami was sent to AZ.

You just cannot bank on a specific place and in addition to that there are pros and cons to each place. Aliceville has a/c, Mariana, Lexington and Alderson do not. To some that is a big deal.

The only education up can count on is GED if you don't already have that. Anything above that is sporadic and usually aimed towards women with longer sentences.
fbopnomore (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 AM

I was sent to where I asked. I am so glad about that...but we wasn't able to get the restitution deferred because the judge said he has never been asked that & he hasn't did it before so he wasn't going to do it....with that being said, is there any other way to get restitution deferred before self surrendering?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

No, that's the only way to stay off of the IFRP. For me, I had zero payments for 6 months, followed by the IFRP minimum for the next 6 months, $25.00 every 3 months. After that, the amount collected was determined by the total amount of money I had available for the past year. My payment jumped to $75.00 a month based on my inmate account deposits of approximately $400.00 a month for commissary & phones.

Here's the IFRP program statement.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5380_008.pdf
Old 12-20-2017, 08:32 PM

How much should I keep in my account a month or is it better to let a family member just purchase everything I want weekly or monthly from the commissary instead of keeping too much money on my books?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Nobody on the outside can purchase anything except books for a federal inmate, so anything you need will have to be purchased from the commissary.