Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Liz

Default Name change for Hualapai

Hualapai is now called Huachuca. It could change again.

The Hualapai Indians did not want a prison with sex offenders carrying their name. Also, the prior inmates at Hualapai did not want to be confused with having been in a sex offender prison as Hualapai was simply a GP 3 yard. So the name was changed.

Arizona has a military installation called Fort Huachuca. I have to wonder if they might object to the name being assigned to a SO prison unit.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,524 Times in 777 Posts

OMG this is ridiculous! Cook, Meadows and Rynning have switched back and forth between SO and GP so many times in the past it's not even funny. Several of the yards on Lewis were GP and are now PC and they never changed the name for the prior inmates. Furthermore, Rynning is switching again right now from SO to GP and they have NEVER changed the names. Hell half the time it takes them MONTHS to change it online from SO to GP which has caused some issues for some of the GP inmates there. Just common sense that prisons are used for different inmates over the years. Let's just go through and rename them all Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta....etc so nobody gets upset....SMH

Sorry for the rant Liz...just so....ugh!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
OMG this is ridiculous! Cook, Meadows and Rynning have switched back and forth between SO and GP so many times in the past it's not even funny. Several of the yards on Lewis were GP and are now PC and they never changed the name for the prior inmates. Furthermore, Rynning is switching again right now from SO to GP and they have NEVER changed the names. Hell half the time it takes them MONTHS to change it online from SO to GP which has caused some issues for some of the GP inmates there. Just common sense that prisons are used for different inmates over the years. Let's just go through and rename them all Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta....etc so nobody gets upset....SMH

Sorry for the rant Liz...just so....ugh!
No apology necessary. I see your point. I think it was partially done to try and settle Cerbat down, although the Cerbat inmates didn't know the name was changed until visitation and their family members told them. I do know that there were big issues because Cerbat inmates' jobs included doing Hualapai laundry and some other things. The inmates refused to do those jobs. They had a big meeting and asked if anyone would do them and they all said no. I have no idea what they did to address those jobs. I do know that Cerbat was on the verge of another riot and a big part of it was that the residents of Kingman were throwing stuff and saying things to Cerbat inmates working outside the prison because the public thought they were sex offenders. Cerbat inmates wanted the public, the media, and the prison to recognize that they were separate from Hualapai and they were not sex offenders.

The Indians being upset over it was news to me. I would expect that we have named many things after Indians that they are not happy about so what the government chooses to change and how they decide that is not something I have ever concerned myself with.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (03-09-2016)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlizzie2 View Post
Hualapai is now called Huachuca. It could change again.

The Hualapai Indians did not want a prison with sex offenders carrying their name. Also, the prior inmates at Hualapai did not want to be confused with having been in a sex offender prison as Hualapai was simply a GP 3 yard. So the name was changed.

Arizona has a military installation called Fort Huachuca. I have to wonder if they might object to the name being assigned to a SO prison unit.
Huachuca was the name of a village at the foot of some mountains south of Tucson, near where the Fort is now. The tribe was Sobaipuri, which were Piman.
http://southernarizonaguide.com/soba...ndents-oodham/