Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Default CRAF Overview

Hello Everyone today my fiancé left CRAF.

So I just wanted to post an overview of how the process went when, for the people who go through this in the future.

So about 3 weeks after sentencing he was picked up from the County on a Thursday morning, they made a stop at a neighboring county to pick up other people going to CRAF.

After about three days he was assigned a PIN number and was able to call me, you should setup an offenderconnect.com account with your house phone number if you are worried that your house may not be able to receive collect calls.

It's two man cell's at first you are what my fiancé called 'downstairs' here they do medical testing, give you a psych evaluation. In this area he had 1 hour of free time each day to shower, use the phone etc.

Then after a few days he moved to what he called 'upstairs'. Upstairs is again two man cells. There are TV's at either sides of the hallways so if you close to one end or the other you are able to watch TV. They have a fan in the cells, (his broke within the first couple of days and they never repaired it. They don't let you bring anything from county but he was lucky enough that they let him slide through with a bible and some pictures inside it. But I wouldn't bank on it.

When you are upstairs the schedule rotates like this Day 1 & Day 2.

Day 1 he will get two breaks one from 12:30-1:30 and a second from 7:30 to 8:30. During this time you shower, use the phone etc. If your phone is all setup you won't have a ton of trouble to communicate, most people don't so there's not a ton of competition for the phones. Shower's on the other hand, there are only two and they let out 20 guys at that time so it's a little more difficult.

Day 2 he will have yard time in the morning, to go outside it varies what time. Sometimes super early sometimes a bit later. During that time it is strictly yard, no phones, no showers etc. Then he will have a break at 5:30-6:30 like normal to call, shower etc.

They eat in the cells, and he said overall the food wasn't bad. The day he goes, you may want to send $20 or something to CRAF for his commissary. So he can order stamps and a notepad to write you, they are very very bored so this also provide some entertainment:

Inmate name, SBI NUMBER
CRAF
PO Box 7450
Trenton, NJ 08628-7450

Mail moves stupid slow going in, very quickly coming out. They can ask to send mail without a stamp to deduct from their commissary later when you work at Prison.

So after a few days you will find out your score for classification, the best being Negative one, and then they go up. And you will find out what prison you are going to. And then wait........ and wait, and wait.

Some people are lucky and go in a few days, and some people are unlucky and are there for a few weeks, there doesn't seem to be too much rhyme or reason, and they get very frustrated but eventually you get moved. My fiancé wasn't there long enough to get his list approved but upstairs you can submit a visiting list, it takes very long to approve so unless you are there an extraordinary amount of time. But why not tell them to try and submit it just in case.

So last night they told him he was moving, and this morning when I checked the DOC website the new place was listed there. He was there 18 days start to finish, which seemed to be longer than most people.

I wish you all good luck with this process, this too shall pass. Then on to the next step.

Alex
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alexxxy101 For This Useful Post:
gabsterz (08-15-2017), jaystarr1 (11-12-2013), ParentsLove (08-30-2013), SErubio (01-04-2017), SusanWayward (08-23-2013), ToyToya31383 (10-01-2013), werewolfsgirl (01-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks a lot.. Very helpful info. My love is in CRAF. He is waiting to go to Jones Farm. They are taking forever to transfer him. Your right the mail is very slow going out, but goin in is quick.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM
TC7555

Default Thank you....

thank you for you information, my son was taken from Bergen Cty jail early Monday morning (I guess since I haven't heard from him since Sunday afternoon). We tried to prepare each other for the blackout at being at Craf, but it is so hard to not hear from him and not know what is truly going on. He is no longer listed in Bergen Cty and he doesn't come up at Craf but I did speak to someone at Craf and they confirmed he was there. Your overview helps me at least feel like he's ok and I'm counting the days when I will hear from him. I put money in GTL last week and overnighted a money order to him yesterday for commissary. I do have one question, if I forward my home phone number to my cell when I'm not home will I be able to answer the call on my cell phone? Have you gotten to see your fiance yet?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:53 PM

I wouldn't recommend forwarding phone calls. I've heard if they find out you're doing it, they take away phone priveleges. I was on the phone with my LO the other night and a voice came on and said "Third party alert" and I was disconnected. I wasn't trying to make a 3rd party call and I was using a cordless house phone. I called GTL and they are researching it. It actually happened twice, and I have NO clue why.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM
TC7555

do you know what time their phone privileges are at Craf?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM
TC7555

Default The Phone Finally Rang

I was just typing Day 4 the phone still hasn't rung......and it rang!!!!!! Day 4, 7:15 pm. He is okay. It's not as bad as we imagined and he is going to be transferred to Bayside. He said he is sharing a cell with a really nice guy. He said this is his cellmate's 4th time at Craf, and he is patiently answering all my son's questions about Craf and after. He is really ok, thank God......there is hope that this experience won't break him but make him a better person.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:05 PM

You just have to take everything with a grain of salt it's only temporary. I remember my boyfriend was so anxious to go to CRAF and then he was so anxious to leave CRAF. The time will pass just relax and try and keep them grounded and not freaking out.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM

Hi, I am new here and have a question. My man is waiting to go to CRAF any day now, does anyone know how long it takes the money on his books at county to get to him at CRAF??
Old 01-08-2016, 07:33 PM

For me, when I went to CRAF my money followed me asap. People that I was there with told me that there money didn't get to them right away or that it did. I think it all depends on what county jail he cAme from and how fast they are with things..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kdwright85 For This Useful Post:
TakodasLady (01-08-2016)