Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Default California Inmate Transfers?

Hi, my husband is still in county, but is looking at prison time. does anyone know what kind of qualifications are used when they transfer inmates out of california to private prisons in other states? i know its due to the overcrowding but I'm hoping he stays in california, so that i can visit him and we can have family visits... he's a level 4 inmate..will this keep him in california most likely? if anyone has any info please let me know! thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,484 Times in 15,704 Posts

hey I moved your post to the CA forums.
(and I might have moved your other post as well.......but in case I messed that up, check this link http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520889 )

If he goes to a prison (anything over one yr, I think) he would go to the nearest *reception* prison. Those facilities are the main ones that handle people first arriving in state prison. In my area....its SQ (san quentin)
After they figure out where he *fits*
they will send him to another facility, or mainline him at the reception place he's at.
Its a bit difficult to know for sure.
Look thru the CA forums and see what is up.If he goes to prison, he will eventually see a *counselor* who will endorse him to someplace. Remains to be seen if he will actually GO to that facility. But eventually he will end up at his *home* prison.
(mainlined)

Reception is the hardest part. make sure he knows...if he does not hear from you its just the mail being very delayed. Phone calls in reception are sparse.
First thing he should do is to send you a visit application. make sure he signs it first.

Go from there.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-06-2019, 10:20 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,484 Times in 15,704 Posts

oops, forgot to say
Welcome to pto
Sorry you have a need, but glad you found us.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,119 Times in 8,167 Posts

Welcome to PTO.

I believe all Level 4s are in-state now. The only out of state prison is La Palma in AZ and last I heard it's a Level 3.

When it comes to in-state placement, they will ask him his top two choices, but the guarantees are slim to none. I would prepare for him to be put at just about any Level 4 in the state to begin with.

The only other thing I can add is if he's in county still, he hasn't been classified yet. Are you sure he's a 4? Is this based on previous stays? Things have changed a little and I would wait until he's through reception (4-6 months) before making plans.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-22-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Default thank you

thank you guys for all your help. yes unfortunately this is not his first time. Just my first time going through it with him, and now with our 8 month old son.. thank you guys for the support and help, i appreciate it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dstxxx For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-06-2019), sidewalker (06-07-2019)