Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Default Best USP For Mental Health Issues

My boyfriend is facing federal time and because of his past (violence, affiliation) he might be sent to a USP instead of a FCI or FDC. As far as I can tell there are 21 United States Penitentiaries.

If anyone has any suggestions as to which ones are better for people with serious mental health issues (Paranoid Schizophrenia) and which ones to AVOID AT ALL COSTS... I would be so thankful.

Thank you so much,
Elizabeth Lode
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,117 Times in 11,746 Posts

He will probably receive more appropriate mental health care in one of the federal medical centers FMCs, which hold every custody level. A key to being designated there (if he is convicted or pleads guilty) is to have his MH problems documented with the sentencing judge, and also in his presentence investigation report which will be prepared by a federal probation officer. Documented means providing medical records prepared by physicians, going as far back as they exist. If his judge recommends placement in a FMC, it will increase his chances of being sent there, but it will not guarantee it either.

Every bop prison has a "psychology department" which are usually staffed by one PHD Psychologist and some MH counselors. A few have TV or on-site consultations with MD Psychiatrists, others don't. The quality of the services received by the prisoners anywhere in the bop (medical, mental, whatever) depends on the people who actually work there, so it can be anywhere from terrible, to professional.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM

There is no way to "avoid" a prison the the BOP assigns. If your boyfriend is a Paranoid Schizophrenia then do as fbopnomore suggested. If he doesn't have the medical backup then it will be up to the BOP medical to make that diagnosis. There are enough stories here about health care or lack of it that should send him running to get his medical records. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to hindsight For This Useful Post:
indyroxx (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 03:17 PM

I have tried over and over to convince his Public Defender (both State and Federal) to request a formal psych evaluation. The court is aware that he is a Paranoid Schizophrenic, but I can't force his Defender to do anything. My Mom (a licensed therapist) just recently started acting as his Mental Health Advocate and spoke with Joel's Federal Defender and supposedly his FD is going to try to get the funds for a psych eval.

I realize I can't avoid any particular USP of Federal Center but, knowing which ones are notably horrible for those with severe mental illnesses at least helps me know more about Joel might end up.

So if anyone has any info - insight into which Fed facilities are better or worse as far as coping with prisoners with severe mental illnesses - it would really help me.

Thank you so much,
Elizabeth Lode
Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Abolitionist
Donation Award 

My daughter is diagnosed with anxiety PTSD and depression. She has had one previous suicide attempt prior to her arrest. She is 20 years old serving a 20 year federal sentence for arson that resulted in a death and is classified as a violent offender. She was a codefendant (she bought a gas can, gas and drove an arsonist (codefendant) from point A to point B).

Her attorney coordinated a forensic psychiatric evaluation for her. The evaluation was included in her pre-sentencing report and mental health treatment was included as part of her sentence.

She is in a women's FCI now. She is receiving pharmacotherapy, and both group and individual psychotherapy. She is compliant with her psychiatric treatment plan. The mental health care received at the FCI is much better than what she received prior to making it to federal prison (GEO and CCA for profit prisons). She did not like having to wait in pill line for her meds so her psychiatrist switched her to different medications for self medication. Even with being able to self medicate, she receives a very limited supply of medication, which is good, given her previous suicide attempt. She takes every opportunity for fresh air, sunshine and exercise.

I wish you and your loved one well and I hope this information is helpful.

ab·o·li·tion·ist
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abolitionist For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-19-2014), indyroxx (02-21-2014)