Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Kentucky prison and criminal justice system.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:18 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,186 Times in 16,675 Posts
Default Kentucky Governor-Elect Poised to Expand Voting Rights

Kentucky Governor-Elect Poised to Expand Voting Rights

November 22, 2019
Democratic Governor-elect Andy Beshear is expected to sign an executive order that restores voting rights to people with non-violent felony convictions who have completed their prison, probation and parole sentence.

Incoming Kentucky Governor Poised to Expand Voting Rights

After beating Gov. Matt Bevin in the recent election, Democratic Governor-elect Andy Beshear is expected to sign an executive order that restores voting rights to people with non-violent felony convictions who have completed their prison, probation and parole sentence. This move follows in the footsteps of his father, former Gov. Steve Beshear, who restored the voting rights of more than 100,000 people by executive order in 2015. Less than a month later, his executive order was reversed when Gov. Bevin took office.

Democratic lawmakers have also announced a package of bills aimed at increasing voter turnout, including a constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to some people who have completed their felony sentence. The amendment would also have to be passed by voters next fall.

Read entire article below:
https://www.sentencingproject.org/news/7756/

If Beshear restores your voting rights: VOTE!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2019, 04:06 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,893 Times in 1,559 Posts

I didn't realize Kentucky had banned the voting rights of anyone off of paper. I didn't know it was like that. More surprising is the fact that only non violent offenses are the ones being allowed to vote. Prison is prison. Time is time. It's good to see something done on our behalf, but the technical difficulties of this group can have this and that group can't do that and so on and so forth...........it's getting old.
patchouli (11-29-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:03 AM
The perfect bad example

I've exercised my restored right to vote in every election since being released. Now if I could only get all my rights back.

Does anyone spiral into control?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:36 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,186 Times in 16,675 Posts

I'm a felon in Kentucky. I too have had my rights restored and vote in every election. Per Statute, I had to wait 5 years after completing parole to apply. Once I applied, seems like it took approx. 4 months to get the certificate. TI believe the wait time for applying and the need to even apply is what would be eliminated. Restoration would be automatic if signed / passed.

patchouli, PTO Admin