Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in law.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:01 AM

Default ""He got life without parole for pot. And was just denied for clemency" """

"""Ferrell Scott was sentenced to life in prison for possession and conspiracy to distribute marijuana, a drug that’s now legal in many states and turning a handsome profit for the (primarily white) pot industry. Scott, like many nonviolent drug offenders serving long sentences, is black. Without any chance at parole, despite an exemplary behavior record, he appealed to President Obama for clemency. He found out that his bid for clemency had been denied when he got an email about “bad news” from a friend. Thinking something bad had happened to his 93-year-old mother, he called home. His daughter answered, crying, and told him the news.

Read the entire article HERE.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 12-03-2016 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 AM

Thanked 7,770 Times in 4,619 Posts

I hate how all of these touchy-feely stories leave out important elements of WHY clemency or parole denials likely occurred, such as the fact that Scott was NOT a first-time drug offender but instead actually has history related to drugs dating back to the 80's.

He had a State sentence for multiple counts of cocaine-related conduct out of Dallas County (possession with intent to deliver). He got fifteen years on each count, which back then meant less than two calendar years would be served prior to release.

In 1995, he gets picked up in Dallas on a weapons charge (you know, that pesky little law that says felons shouldn't have firearms that Scott chose to ignore, especially while still on a supervised status). The court actually gave him the gift of a deferred disposition that he would later screw up.

In 2000, he decides to jump bond in Lamar County. It appears that might have been associated with a misdemeanor pot charge that stemmed from a routine traffic stop by DPS.

He had a federal case in 2000 when he entered VA premises under the influence of alcohol. He got the gift of a conditional dismissal, with the condition being that he commit no similar offenses.

During 2002, he got charged with a federal theft offense and received a 30 month federal sentence.

In 2007, he AGAIN gets popped with a weapon and did so in a County that actually uses enhancement paragraphs...he got 50 years out of Williamson County when he stupidly went to the jury on punishment.

Count I of the federal indictment related to the present sentence discusses an amount in excess of 1000 kg of pot...more than a ton. LET THAT SINK IN FOR A MOMENT! This is not a simple non-violent offense nor is it even remotely consistent or analogous to those who are licensed in States where it has been legalized. Oh, and about that life sentence...again it came from a jury. He CHOSE to reject a plea offer.

I could have sympathy for someone in this situation if it was 1) a first-time offense and 2) a quantity that did not openly display a disdain for the rule of law. But this is not a case of someone with no criminal history trying to take the product of one or two plants to a medical patient. Instead it is a career felon who has a lengthy history of drug and weapons charges and who will still owe the State of Texas supervision for many more years as a result of his Williamson County weapons charge.

But I guess facts don't make for a good story...
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
coachy1 (12-12-2016), Dobbie_Elf (12-03-2016), hamsa (12-03-2016), kathyradellvn (12-17-2016), kevscousin (12-12-2016), MizzyMuffling (12-12-2016), NewTexGal (12-03-2016), nimuay (12-12-2016), priceam (12-12-2016), Revenwyn (12-13-2016), safran (12-04-2016), Sarianna (12-04-2016), WG406 (12-04-2016), yourself (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM
attorney

Thanked 17,065 Times in 6,313 Posts

Here's the other thing, especially when it comes to the fact that many states are legalizing, if not for medical uses, then for recreational uses - it was still illegal at the time. He knew it was illegal at the time, and he chose to do it.

Elliot Ness, the DEA dude responsible for bringing down a lot of Chicago alcohol during prohibition was once asked what he'd do if Prohibition was overturned. He said that he'd probably go out and get a drink. The law is pretty black and white, especially back then when there was a significant war on drugs. He knew he was moving massive amounts of pot. To handle a ton of pot is a huge industry. We're not talking about what fits in your pocket, or your glove compartment, or even your trunk (that's around 55 lbs of pot). We are talking about a warehouse.

Now, if the guy were an advocate for the legalization of marijuana the same way that Dr. Kevorkian was an advocate for physician assisted suicide, and he was growing and harvesting that massive amount and moving it to lower level distributors (he was not the on the street salesman), then he knew he was going to get hit with a ton of charges and do a ton of time. Then there's some validity to his argument. But he was a mid to high level distributor who was living the high life off the proceeds of his distributions. He was doing the whole thing for the money, not the political statement which, back then, was never persuasive as there was no traction for the issue. We are talking the "war on drugs" in the 90s and 00s, and he was playing hard through those years.

If he wanted to be involved in marijuana distribution back then, he could have gone and lived in Amsterdam and sent money to his favorite PAC dealing with pot legalization. But that wouldn't have paid near as much. He could have moved after his first bust. He could have rolled over when he was busted with an amount he knew would be a life sentence. Instead, he had a trial, rolled the dice, and came up with craps (easy to do when that's all you have to begin with).

Now he wants us to buy the politics card. Yeah. Right. Let him out, and let's see how long it is before he is caught with a gun or pot, in a jurisdiction where pot still isn't legal. While the amount of violence associated with pot isn't as much as it used to be, it's still there. So are his contacts, his drug routes, and everything else necessary to bring him back to the life he obviously prefers.

If he wants a joint, he should have moved to Amsterdam. Or waited two decades or more until it was legal.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:41 AM
attorney

And if you can't get clemency for pot from Obama, there's something really messed up in your background
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (12-03-2016), MizzyMuffling (12-12-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
And if you can't get clemency for pot from Obama, there's something really messed up in your background
I've read that the clemency bureaucracy isn't working smoothly enough for everyone to get decisions on the merits. I don't actually know. It's plausible.

BTW it's not just Federal. Dale Wayne Green is set to grow old and die in Angola. There is something messed up in his background. He has priors for simple robbery and attempted possession of cocaine. So he was vulnerable to Lousisana's habitual criminal law.

He was arrested, prosecuted as a career criminal, and given a pine box sentence for introducing an undercover cop to a weed dealer. He got a $10 cut from the transaction. The dealer walked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-03-2016), marie8899 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I've read that the clemency bureaucracy isn't working smoothly enough for everyone to get decisions on the merits. I don't actually know. It's plausible.
There are no merits to clemency for Scott here. Multiple incarcerations for drugs, weapons and interstate theft dating to the 80's plus the balance of a 50-year sentence on the State-level weapons charge and even the most staunch liberal is unable to find a rational basis to commute the federal sentence.

Let's face reality...if the POTUS *DID* commute the sentence, he wasn't going to be breathing fresh air. He would be going to Huntsville to be processed back into TDCJ where he would likely be in custody for AT LEAST another decade before the Board seriously considered a release. And then he remains on supervision until close to 2060 (although a revocation would undoubtedly occur long before then if the past is a predictor of his future). Some people simply cannot stand life in the real world.

I did find it ironic that he had a Minutes entry showing on PACER from prior to the federal trial that he was going to commit suicide if he got life. Yet he is still amongst the breathing...

Perhaps the time for him to have thought about the things he is missing with his kid was BEFORE he got wrapped up in a major drug smuggling operation...

As to the Louisiana example, I again have little sympathy. Once you have gone to prison and yet STILL choose to commit more felony offenses, especially of a different nature of offense, then you were begging for consequence to attach. Amount of potential profit on the drug transaction is a moot point...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Dobbie_Elf (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:58 PM
2%Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ib1/2 View Post
"""Ferrell Scott was sentenced to life in prison for possession and conspiracy to distribute marijuana, a drug that’s now legal in many states and turning a handsome profit for the (primarily white) pot industry. Scott, like many nonviolent drug offenders serving long sentences, is black. Without any chance at parole, despite an exemplary behavior record, he appealed to President Obama for clemency. He found out that his bid for clemency had been denied when he got an email about “bad news” from a friend. Thinking something bad had happened to his 93-year-old mother, he called home. His daughter answered, crying, and told him the news.

Read the entire article HERE.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules
I'm sorry..but, why is it *by certain people* ok to always point out that a crime was committed by a black person just to satisfy a white. So,therefore the black person who is somehow IMO BTW always purportedly an angel unless selling those "darn drugs" to the white people?. I'm sorry that is because that excuse is old and a quite frankly? Its wrong,morally,ethically and most of all LEGALLY.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:46 PM

And to think

If instead of dealing in a large amount of Pot he instead shot someone he probably would have gotten a lighter sentence.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick57 View Post
And to think

If instead of dealing in a large amount of Pot he instead shot someone he probably would have gotten a lighter sentence.
And to think...

If he was not a career criminal and had taken the plea offer, he probably, nay WOULD have gotten a lighter sentence.

Pro-Tip: when you CONTINUE to commit felony offenses, then you are, at some point in time, likely going to get the invitation to spend the rest of your life in a custodial status.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
coachy1 (12-12-2016), MizzyMuffling (12-12-2016), nimuay (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 PM

If only the world was that black and white we wouldn't need lawyers.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
If only the world was that black and white we wouldn't need lawyers.
Don't be an idiot with multiple arrests for large quantities of narcotics and weapons and you won't need one either...

In case you missed it, his criminal history is summarized above...he had MULTIPLE occasions to have had something other than a life sentence.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
coachy1 (12-12-2016), kathyradellvn (12-17-2016), MizzyMuffling (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:28 PM

From what I am reading from your posts you are taking a narrow perspective on my comments. I am only pointing out the disproportionate sentencing on drug charges relative to violent crimes, many individuals are serving a life sentence on similar drug charges without the criminal background that Mr. Scott has. And contrary to what you may believe you absolutely have to have a lawyer to defend you in a criminal trial it would be nonsensical to believe otherwise.
If this has confused you I am sorry. But I am not on here to to back and forth with anonymous poster that seems to have a need to drive a point home even to the level of being negative. So you take care of yourself and have a nice evening.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post

There's been an ABA associated project dealing with these types of cases since 2014, when Obama indicated he was interested in reviewing the most egregious variation on the over sentencing for drugs thing. While getting volunteer lawyers to commit to a case or two hasn't always been easy, the project has managed to get thousands of petitions before the president for review and clemency.

It's the smoothest system we've had ever.

(oh, and I've posted links before for the attorneys you know - all it takes is a couple more attorneys to take a case or two and that's a couple more lives lived outside the walls of federal prisons. The cases aren't complex, the time required is minimal, you get continuing ed for the training, so win win)

As a result thousands of clemency petitions have been heard and granted by Obama. He may hit 10,000 before he leaves the white house.

It's just too bad the apparatus for this will go the way of the dodo when Obama does leave and the few Clemencies granted by Trump will be to big business guys who got caught, or he may sell clemency. The Obama type of review and clemency - nope. Not from a guy who thinks the Central Park 5 are guilty despite DNA. Not when his goal will be to lock as many people up as possible to increase the use of private prisons
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (12-23-2016), MizzyMuffling (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 AM
attorney

Quote:
From what I am reading from your posts you are taking a narrow perspective on my comments. I am only pointing out the disproportionate sentencing on drug charges relative to violent crimes, many individuals are serving a life sentence on similar drug charges without the criminal background that Mr. Scott has. And contrary to what you may believe you absolutely have to have a lawyer to defend you in a criminal trial it would be nonsensical to believe otherwise.
If this has confused you I am sorry. But I am not on here to to back and forth with anonymous poster that seems to have a need to drive a point home even to the level of being negative. So you take care of yourself and have a nice evening.
I love it when defendants decide they can do a better job defending themselves.

I also love it when a defendant, despite all the advice and evidence you give him, decides to roll the dice, take it to trial, and then find himself at the bad end of a stacked sentence for every single charge the State threw at him.

Look, the guy didn't get caught with a small amount of pot. He didn't get caught with a small amount of pot once or twice. He didn't do what a lot of guys do when they get caught with life sentence quantities and beyond of drugs.

Yes, sentencing isn't fair. At the time the guy was sentenced, it was pretty mandatory pursuant to the sentencing guidelines what he was going to get. It has only been subsequent to that that judges have been given the discretion to depart from the sentencing guidelines, taking into account mitigating factors. But back then, pot was considered a gateway drug, and marketed that way to the average citizen to get those extreme penalties.

Look, we're talking the Obama administration. We're talking Obama's clemency policy in the federal system. We're talking a ton of lawyers working on clemency packets for those who meet the basic requirements for the clemency program - long term sentenced people serving an much longer (ridiculously longer) sentence for drugs with no write-ups for years who want to give clemency a shot. There are investigators and paralegals going through decades of court records and prison records finding these cases. There are volunteer attorneys dealing with these cases, getting them in front of Obama. This effort has been unprecedented. Pot cases, crack cases (especially when the disparity between crack cociane and powder cocaine was huge in sentencing, and mostly race based), and a variety of other drug cases are going before Obama, and he's actually looking. He's looking to grant clemency, not deny it. Again, if it was denied by Obama, there was good reason.