Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,659 Times in 7,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
I'm going by what the medical assessment said, not what the prisoner "decided".

Exactly how does the prisoner's alleged or actual misdeeds affect the situation?

I'm at a loss here. Of course most of those in prison are not nice people. Of course any attempt at enforcing the 8th amendment for Trans people - not just others - will usually have really unsympathetic plaintiffs. It's in the nature of things.
The question centex raises is whether the person is really trans, or seeking to be moved to a women's prison for other reasons.

The medical assessments here are not that good - it would be much harder to spot a malingerer purporting to be trans than it would be to spot a malingerer claiming a back injury or a mental illness, neither of which would get them a change in scenery, or a new group of inmates to victimize. Trans would. In some instances, and by popular/political support here, trans is a label slapped on anybody claiming to be trans. In that way, centex is right, and that's where the ire comes from- women having to deal with "trans" women in uncomfortable situations. Actual trans women should be just as outraged by this, but we don't have a good rubric for determining who is trans and who is just a very violent offender looking for a change of scenery.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM

Thanked 1,052 Times in 584 Posts

Something overdue I want to get off my chest. Since yourself has private messages turned off I'll do this in public at the cost of some awkwardness.

Dang, you've earned my highest respect! Repeatedly.

Back on topic, I would have guessed (without the direct knowledge others here have) that real trans people would have incurred more grief and outright injury (beatings and rape) than is consistent with running a scam. Someone's going to come along and tell me I have no clue how far a scamming inmate will go. That person will be right.

On another topic entirely, here's another reason I sympathize with every confused person sliding down the mountain. Here's someone who is set to Female upstairs but who is just fine without hormones or women's clothes. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...9f938?section=

After years of reading book after book and one neurobiology paper after another, things still come along that make me confused.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:57 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,659 Times in 7,084 Posts

Here's another question to ponder - does a single sex environment which makes it an offense to engage in any sexual behavior with other inmates a rape producing environment? I know it creates a ton of misunderstandings of sex and sexuality, not to mention gender identification (e.g. That a guy who is on the receiving end of sex is homosexual, but the guy engaged in penetrative activities is not engaged in homosexual activities, sex without coercion is gay sex, etc - bet we've all heard some dooseys). When sex, gender, and sexuality isn't addressed and is specifically denied to inmates, many of whom are in their sexual prime, is it creating a rape environment? Is it also creating an artificial environment wherein some men, confused about the issue of sex and sexuality. Would rather believe themselves women? Take for comparison Iran where homosexuality and homosexual sexual encounters are punishable by death, yet the head of religion in Iran endorses transsexualism as being something not forbidden by the Koran. As a result, men, many of whom are probably gay (based on statistics of homosexuality in a population v. Transsexualism in a culture), are seeding gender reassigning surgeries. The real irony is that the top surgeon in Iran prefers to use elements of the rectum to construct the new vagina, meaning that the argument could be made (but has yet to be made) that a person receiving that sort of surgery could be engaging in anal sex with her vagina. Weirdness.

Anyway, the issue is rape culture in prison as prison is artificial, produces some myths of sexuality and gender that are flat out wrong, stigmatizes some who are the victims of rape or forced sexual conduct (to the tune sometimes of referring to them as women and bitches), and makes the whole mess even more problematic by forbidding all sexual contact (and therefor sex education, sexuality education, and gender identification education). Further, by making such contact against the rules, the ability of researchers to engage in meaningful long term research into gender identity and sexuality in prisoners with long sentences impossible.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:21 PM

Thanked 1,052 Times in 584 Posts

Trans men ("FtM" if you prefer) also get an unnecessarily raw deal.

http://www.projectq.us/atlanta/trans...georgia_prison

As a practical matter I wonder whether a men's or women's prison would be safer for him.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanked 9,748 Times in 5,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Trans men ("FtM" if you prefer) also get an unnecessarily raw deal.

http://www.projectq.us/atlanta/trans...georgia_prison

As a practical matter I wonder whether a men's or women's prison would be safer for him.
The obvious answer is that a female prison is the safest of the two potential places...if placed in a male facility, the ONLY safe place is in single-cell segregation. If you don't think male offenders would rape an FTT in general population, then you are sadly mistaken.

I had a client who actually had the choice to have gone to the male TDCJ facilities but with the caveat that they assumed all risk if they insisted on general population. They chose to go to the female facilities where they were also able to continue on their testosterone treatments (since discontinued when they realized that they were, in fact and despite all of the legal fictions and the surgeries) that they were simply a butch female.