Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Default How does he change his release plan/probation to where I live?

My boyfriend was just sent back to a federal institution after getting in trouble at the HWH his release date didn't change he has 3 more months until he is released when he went to the HWH his case manager put he was homeless because I didn't have my own place yet now I do what would need to be done to change his probation to where I live which is a different city same state?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,964 Times in 10,243 Posts

His unit team case manager will have to request a change of release location from US Probation where you live. The CM will also submit his new "home plan" for approval. It will be up to his case manager to send the application, or not. If the transfer is granted, the new PO will do an in-person home inspection of your residence.

It usually is submitted earlier than the amount of time he has until his end of sentence date so, if approved, he can go to the HWH for your area and then be released to supervised release in your house. Even though it may be late, I'm pretty sure that other inmates & loved ones have encountered the same issues before you. If it is too late for that approval, he will be released to the federal judicial district where he was sentenced. He will either go a HWH there, or be released "to the street" on his end of sentence date, homeless or not. If that happens, he can file a change of supervised release request with that US Probation office.

In either case, the more legitimate reasons he has for the move, the better his chances of acceptance.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-06-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 09:21 PM
Donation Award 

Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Thanked 1,211 Times in 730 Posts

To further the op. We were sentenced in a state where we never resided. He was issued a bop number for where we reside. He applied to have it moved to our home state. House approved. On the court orders from the judge it shows his residence as his home state. He is in a halfway right now. The halfway gave him permissions granted by his original court order. They were pushing to send him home to home confinement. Probation found out that he had been at the legal library...Told halfway house that he can not access that and had his flip phone taken and told he will never have a phone or internet and because the case is messy..with him suing the bop...they want to dump him back where he was sentenced. He is I'll and would be homeless. The court granted us time during the crimminal case to find a home that was compliant.
Question..can they revoke their approval since it's messy and no violations? I don't want to live with this cloud over our head that when probation gets a bee in their bonnet they just ship him across the country at whim.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 PM

UPDATE :my boyfriend counselor still hasn't put him in for HWH he has a month left than he'll be done with fbop than probation starts his counselor said last month he sent in the probation packet with a change of address which is my address now wondering why I haven't heard anything from them so they can check my house with only being a month left? ??
Old 03-28-2017, 05:04 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

He will have to report to his US Probation Officer as soon as he is released, from prison or from a HWH. I hope everything is accomplished in time for him to be released to the new (your) location. If not, he may be released to the old judicial district and will need to submit a change of supervision location to his PO.

As long as the request his unit team submitted is still active, USPO will probably be contacting you before his end of sentence date.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Is their anybody I can reach out to at the USPO office to see what's going on as far as did the receive the probation packet and so forth? ??
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If it was me, I would call the local US Probation Office to verify that they received the change of release location request from his bop case manager. With about one month to go before he is released to SR, it is a very logical concern.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM

i called my local u.s. probation office which they referred me to his pre prison jurisdiction probation office which they inform me they don't see any paperwork for him so obviously the ball has been dropped I'm going to reach out to his unit team and see what's going on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunn1016 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-28-2017), rks1170 (05-24-2017)