Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Default Social Security Restitution Garnishment

I recently began collecting social security retirement benefits and the day of my first payment I received a letter from the DOJ stating they were garnishing my monthly social security for the restitution I owe. I couldn't believe it. Apparently the federal government is the ONLY entity that has the power to garnish social security benefits. My social security benefit is small to begin with and the garnishment is killing me. They don't care. They told me they only need to leave a person with $750 a month to live on.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,980 Times in 11,182 Posts

I'm sorry for what is happening, but it doesn't surprise me. The government makes its own rules.

It can't hurt to file a written appeal about the amount they are taking, somebody else will decide your case, and it sounds like they are already taking the maximum allowed amount.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 PM

This is one reason why my husband’s lawyer told him to do whatever he can to pay his restitution. He said the FLU has a farther reach than any other authority and they can take and go after anything! Best advice we ever got and best action we ever took was to pay the restitution. Retirement money is not safe from that, inheritances, nothing. We weren’t taking that chance. Huge monkey off our backs. He comes out and we are free and clear of them. I’m sorry this is happening to you. Read what you can about the arm of the FLU and how much they can and will take. It’ll suck if you have to go get another job to pay them because they will take a cut of that too unless it’s somethibg like a babysitting job where you can get paid in cash. Or tutoring if you’re qualified.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
This is one reason why my husbandís lawyer told him to do whatever he can to pay his restitution. He said the FLU has a farther reach than any other authority and they can take and go after anything! Best advice we ever got and best action we ever took was to pay the restitution. Retirement money is not safe from that, inheritances, nothing. We werenít taking that chance. Huge monkey off our backs. He comes out and we are free and clear of them. Iím sorry this is happening to you. Read what you can about the arm of the FLU and how much they can and will take. Itíll suck if you have to go get another job to pay them because they will take a cut of that too unless itís somethibg like a babysitting job where you can get paid in cash. Or tutoring if youíre qualified.
Thank you for replying. I won't live long enough to pay the restitution. I have been unable to find a job since my conviction - no one will hire me.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 PM

Maybe .....if you can prove that you have faithfully been paying and making the effort...you could try to have the garnished lowered ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:27 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,980 Times in 11,182 Posts

One FLU employee and/or a computer program determined the amount the US Dept. of Justice Financial Litigation Unit is seizing every month. They have discretion to change the amount. Will they? Who knows, but it's definitely worth a try.