Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Default Questions about FCI Englewood in Littleton, CO

Hey guys,

My husband will be self-surrendering to FCI Englewood at the end of this month. I really can't find any information that's current about this prison...my husband and I have a lot of questions.

What is the housing like? Are there cells or is it in a dormatory setting? What can he expect for showers/hygene? What is the mail system like? How is the food? Can he expect to get decent nutrition? Can we hold hands during visits? Will he be able to get haircuts? What kind of programs do they have there? Musical instruments? Decent library? What sort of job will he be able to get? He's a chef so he's hoping for kitchen work. Is it safe? Does it go on lockdown often or is it relatively calm?

We're both so new to this...really I know nothing about this life. Thanks in advance for any help with our questions. Nervous about being a prison wife, but this site helps so much.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Is he going to the camp or FCI?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:55 PM

He is going to the FCI Low Security Federal Prison. Not eligible for the camp unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTrose For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-03-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 PM

My husband just self surrendered here on Friday the 5th of January. I haven't been able to get much information from him about his housing situation. He was able to call me Saturday night (we were told first contact would be 5-7 days, so I'm thankful I didn't have to wait), and I've talked to him every night since then (3 times total). He hasn't been able to get set up with e-mail yet, and doesn't know when that will happen. He did say his first shower was Sunday. He said that the job situation isn't good - everyone else has taken them, even though we were told before going in that he would be required to work, there isn't anything for him to do. He's mostly board and trying to keep his head down and get through the time. There is a library, and he's read three large books in the three days he's been there.

Sorry that's not very much information. I'd love to know more as well from anyone who has more experience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions - I'd be happy to share any more information I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrose View Post
Hey guys,

My husband will be self-surrendering to FCI Englewood at the end of this month. I really can't find any information that's current about this prison...my husband and I have a lot of questions.

What is the housing like? Are there cells or is it in a dormatory setting? What can he expect for showers/hygene? What is the mail system like? How is the food? Can he expect to get decent nutrition? Can we hold hands during visits? Will he be able to get haircuts? What kind of programs do they have there? Musical instruments? Decent library? What sort of job will he be able to get? He's a chef so he's hoping for kitchen work. Is it safe? Does it go on lockdown often or is it relatively calm?

We're both so new to this...really I know nothing about this life. Thanks in advance for any help with our questions. Nervous about being a prison wife, but this site helps so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KittyMamma For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2018), MTrose (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM

I'm happy to have someone in the same situation as me to talk to, and I'm so happy you got to talk to your husband so soon! I'm nervous about not hearing from mine for a whole week. That sucks about the job situation though...you'd think they'd have enough work for everyone.

My husband was able to speak to a few people who had previously been to Englewood and they said it's a really decent place to go and rarely went on lockdown while they were there. From what I understand the intake process was generally straightforward and they got 4 sets of clothes, commissary was decent, dorm-style accommodations right away, but you can get a cell later on. They all said my husband got lucky with Englewood, they've apparently seen much worse.

Everything about this situation sucks...but I'm thankful he will be somewhere safe and I'm thankful to have this support system.
fbopnomore (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,980 Times in 11,182 Posts

Many prison jobs assigned by the counselors are very limited, like picking up trash once a day, or even one day a week. If the counselor requires everyone to have a lob, they will assign him to one. To get one of the few decent jobs (AKA one he actually wants to do) usually requires in-person contact with the CO supervisor for that work detail, and/or a recommendation from a current worker or a counselor.

Kitchen, laundry, and lawn maintenance have the most inmate worksrs,
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Glad to hear some good information about the facility. I haven't been able to get much of that kind of info from my husband in the short phone calls. He did tell me last night that he was able to get outside and walk on the track - he wants to start running as soon as he can get some shoes. He had to buy boots because the ones he was issued gave him a bunch of blisters in the first day.

He also found the arts and crafts room yesterday and was able to talk with some very talented artists there. I can see him spending as much time as he's able there.

He's now keeping himself busy and sounded in much better spirits that the first couple of times I talked to him.

Quote:
I'm happy to have someone in the same situation as me to talk to, and I'm so happy you got to talk to your husband so soon! I'm nervous about not hearing from mine for a whole week. That sucks about the job situation though...you'd think they'd have enough work for everyone.

My husband was able to speak to a few people who had previously been to Englewood and they said it's a really decent place to go and rarely went on lockdown while they were there. From what I understand the intake process was generally straightforward and they got 4 sets of clothes, commissary was decent, dorm-style accommodations right away, but you can get a cell later on. They all said my husband got lucky with Englewood, they've apparently seen much worse.

Everything about this situation sucks...but I'm thankful he will be somewhere safe and I'm thankful to have this support system.
The Following User Says Thank You to KittyMamma For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM

That's awesome your husband sounds better...I'm sure it takes a few days to comprehend the change. I'm glad they have an arts/crafts room! One of my husband's fiends said they had an airbrush kit and he might give that a shot. He pretty much just wants to do whatever he can to keep himself busy.

Thanks for the tip on the boots. We looked at the commissary list but it was from 2009 and didn't say anything about shoes. My husband plans to run as well. We both want to use this time apart to get as healthy as possible.

Has your husband said anything about the food there? Hopefully he's getting decent nutrition.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:13 PM

I can't imagine the initial shock of going in - I'm sure that's why he sounded so bad on Saturday night.

It sounds like the current commissary list is quite a bit different. The boots were around $80. He warned me that the first month would be kind of expensive. He has to get a watch and alarm clock because you can't be late anywhere, and he got himself an MP3 player and headphones (songs cost .99 each). Both of us can do almost anything if we have good music to listen to

He said some of the meals are OK and some aren't and most of the protein has been turkey (probably ground - he mentioned that the lasagna was good). He bought a bunch of hot chocolate to have in the mornings, and is extremely happy to have it. Hot water is always available.

Good goal for you both to get healthy during this time. I'm going to try to do the same. I just need to get off my butt and start now!

Quote:
That's awesome your husband sounds better...I'm sure it takes a few days to comprehend the change. I'm glad they have an arts/crafts room! One of my husband's fiends said they had an airbrush kit and he might give that a shot. He pretty much just wants to do whatever he can to keep himself busy.

Thanks for the tip on the boots. We looked at the commissary list but it was from 2009 and didn't say anything about shoes. My husband plans to run as well. We both want to use this time apart to get as healthy as possible.

Has your husband said anything about the food there? Hopefully he's getting decent nutrition.
The Following User Says Thank You to KittyMamma For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 PM

That's fantastic they have access to an MP3 player! The list we looked at only had a portable radio. My husband loves to listen to music too so he'll be glad to hear that. Also good to hear about the hot water availability. My husband usually needs a caffeine kick to get him going in the morning.

I downloaded this app on my phone called 'TimeTune'. It's basically a day planner. I like it a lot, I can schedule everything from recreational reading to workout time and art projects. They have cute little icons to go with everything too. It's helped me figure out how to split up my day or else I'm afraid I'll just sit around and miss him 24/7 (not like I won't miss him when I'm busy...but you know what I mean). ❤️
Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 PM

The MP3 player was around $80 and the headphones were another $20 or so, but I know how very important music can be.

I'll have to look for that app - thanks for the info. Keeping busy won't make you miss him less, but it does help keep your mind occupied, especially if you do something you enjoy.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM

I thought I would share some information about Englewood for those who might be interested...

My husband says it's pretty laid-back there. The counselors seem to be helpful and he's been able to settle in nicely. He's already been to the gym and the library and is getting into a semi-regular routine.

He said the bathrooms are decent, there's some privacy and the showers have swinging doors. He's been able to call me every day, and sometimes he calls twice if he has something he wants to tell me right away...we're still getting used to the short conversations though. We sent letters to each other on the same day this week so we'll have to see how long it takes to get mail from each other.

He's been able to go out into the yard and seems to like it. He's been able to buy vitamins and ibuprofen, paper, pens, coloring pencils, and he plans to buy some shoes next week. He says the commissary is decent and seems to have everything he needs.

At Englewood they have a "coffee house" hour on weekends which is like a late breakfast, and he enjoyed being able to sleep in. I'm happy he's safe. He's only on day 4 but sometimes it seems like he's doing better than me. I'm sure we will both have good days and bad days...but I'm glad he sounds okay.
fbopnomore (01-28-2018)