Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Sierra Conservation Center (SCC), located in Jamestown, California.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
I donít blame you for getting a little confused! Weíve only been to 2 prisons (not including reception) and they are completely different from each other. Youíve been to way more than that and I can only imagine how difficult it would be to keep them all straight.

Weíve only been to visit at SCC twice. Before we went, we looked at Google maps so we were familiar with the layout and the location. One of the ladies on here also answered my questions. The first time we went, we drove into the parking lot on the right, parked our car and walked right up to the processing bldg. The second time we went, that parking lot was blocked off and we had to drive straight ahead where a CO stopped us, checked our ID and visiting confirmation (which we had printed out), and we then drove right to the parking lot and bldg. we had been to the first time. They say to arrive 15 minutes before your appt. time. We waited in the covered area next to the bldg. They call in each name one by one. When you enter the small room, you walk to the desk and take off your shoes and jewelry and give the CO your car keys. You then go back to the metal detector and walk through it. I donít wear an underwire bra, but the clasps on the back set it off so they allowed me to bunch the back of the bra together with one hand and walk through. That worked. You then walk through the door on the left, go down a ramp to the bottom where you wait for the tower to open 2 gates, walk to your left to the first bldg. and ring a bell by the door. You are let in (this is also where the photo ducat machine is), you hand the CO your ID, he lets you in another door and you check with the table to the right where they tell you which table youíll sit at. We havenít had to wait long for our son to come out.

We didnít know that SCC is in the middle of nowhere so we decided to stay in Merced at the Courtyard Marriott. Itís an hour away from the prison. It takes us 5 hours to get to Merced so with the extra hour weíre also 6 hours away. Visiting hours are 8 to 3 so we try to get appts. for 8:30 or 9:00. That way we get full visits for both days without being terminated. And, yes, an early appt. would give you a better selection of food which isnít all that great to begin with. I think they refilled one time we were there, but didnít refill the machines with much. The visiting room is pretty boring. You canít talk to any of the other inmates or their families, the inmates can only go to 2 vending machines, and you canít walk around unless youíre going to the vending machines. There is no patio area which we really miss from Folsom. They do have some games and cards, but thatís about it. It doesnít really matter that much Ė we just love spending the time with our son!

Anyway, that's about all I can think of. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I don't mind at all. Have a great visit with your son!
You have been wonderful. I can't think of any other questions. thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanked 3,897 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAdreaming View Post
You have been wonderful. I can't think of any other questions. thank you again.
You're welcome. I hope you get to visit soon!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Question Newbie need info on SCC PLEASE.

Hubby just got transferred to Sierra Conservation Center in Jamestown, Ca yesterday. Can anyone give me a rundown on visits, dress code, or any general info please. When can he start getting visits.? Calls.? Thank you 😊
Old 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrnclozano View Post
Hubby just got transferred to Sierra Conservation Center in Jamestown, Ca yesterday. Can anyone give me a rundown on visits, dress code, or any general info please. When can he start getting visits.? Calls.? Thank you ��
I will give you as much info as I can..
Sandles without a back on them is not allowed.. (Flipflops) Wearing black is always a good choice. If you have already received a visitor form, and have been approved, go to Vpass and schedule an appointment. It's not necessary, but it helps. They have started giving visitors a drug test, so be prepared for that. They are very strict on "Extra" affection. My husband almost got our visit canceled, because he kissed me on my forehead.. SMH! Nothing to tight and reveling. No orange, camouflage, tan. NO BLUE JEANS ALLOWED! As far as phone calls are concerned, you would call GTL and set up an account to receive calls from you LO. Just tell them where he is located. From prior experience, my husband had to attempt to call me, before I could set up an account. If your local, the charge for a 15 minute call, is around, $1.65. Not bad huh? My husband use to call alot, but I guess it depends on the yard. Right now, he calls me about every 3 days, sometimes longer, it just depends. Well, that's all I can think of right now.. If you need any further info, feel free to contact me. Good luck....

Last edited by HisSoul; 04-14-2016 at 02:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to HisSoul For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-15-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 PM

Default my husband is being transferred to SCC

No idea what to expect. Wondering how long till he will leave where hes at for jamestown...whats the current situation there with visits. Does everyone go to do fire training? Any info would be so appreciated.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 PM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDawgsWife View Post
No idea what to expect. Wondering how long till he will leave where hes at for jamestown...whats the current situation there with visits. Does everyone go to do fire training? Any info would be so appreciated.
Hi and
So your husband is being transferred to SCC. Not all inmates that are housed at SCC make it through Firecamp Training. There are alot of factors to consider. My husband is also housed at SCC, and tried out for fire training, but wasn't accepted. As far as the visits, they're pretty strict at SCC, and they do have the ION Scanner.
If your husband is accepted into the firecamp training, he will be transferred to one of the CDCR Firecamps. During Firecamp training, you may not hear from him alot, because training will take up most of his time. As for visiting, you can schedule visits through VPass.

Welcome to the SCC Forum.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 AM

So, my husband said that they made him pack on Friday for transfer today (Monday) to scc for fire camp. The website still says that he is at wasco. How long before it gets updated? How long before they will let him call me? What happens if he doesn't make it through fire camp? Because it's 6 hours away I can only make one trip up there for thanksgiving... how do I schedule a visit for that?

Sorry about all the questions... thank you for any and all help.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommybeaulac View Post
So, my husband said that they made him pack on Friday for transfer today (Monday) to scc for fire camp. The website still says that he is at wasco. How long before it gets updated? How long before they will let him call me? What happens if he doesn't make it through fire camp? Because it's 6 hours away I can only make one trip up there for thanksgiving... how do I schedule a visit for that?

Sorry about all the questions... thank you for any and all help.
Hi Mommybeaulac, I know that this process can be very anxiety provoking and overwhelming but be certain that things will get better slowly. My husband has been at SCC for a while, I can answer some of your questions based on what i remember.

How long before it gets updated?
I don't remember exactly how long it takes for the update but my memory tells me it is probably between 3 to 5 days.

How long before they will let him call me?
My husband took close to a week to make his first phone call but we communicated a lot through mail. I heard from him first through mail before i was able to hear his voice. Call SCC inmate records so you can get his housing information so you can write to him. #209-984-5291

What happens if he doesn't make it through fire camp?
My understanding is that there are 2 phases for fire camp. He needs to passed phase one before the moves to the next. I believe they can try again if they failed in the first attempt but i might be wrong.

how do I schedule a visit for that?
Go to Vpass to sign up for an account. Make sure you call inmate records first to find out if your husband is in Main site or C yard. You will need to make this choice when you create your account with Vpass.
https://visitorreservations.cdcr.ca.gov/

Good luck and stay strong! :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Staystrong For This Useful Post:
Mommybeaulac (11-08-2016), Sarianna (11-10-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 07:23 AM

Hubby was just sent to Scc and he is going to see about firecamp while he is there but if that doesn't work out can he be moved closer to home ?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 PM

Default New To SCC - Lots of Questions

I did try to look around the forum for answers to my questions, but most of these issues were addressed quite some time ago, so I believe the answers might have changed by now. I apologize for the probable duplication of others' questions (I promise to be brief and to-the-point):

1) My son just transpacked today to Jamestown (per a prisoner he left behind with my phone number). That place looks to be really out in the boonies. Is it at all practical to think you can visit there? (I'm not one to sleep in my car.)

2) I read that they receive training there "which includes a week of classroom instruction and a second week of field exercises" per CDCR website. Does that mean after 3 weeks they're shipped off to somewhere a little more permanent?

3) This has been asked a lot, but I can find no recent answer: Will my son be able to call me any time within those 3 weeks?

4) Lastly, will he be allowed to have any say (or request) to which more permanent camp he is assigned?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated because I'm at a total loss right now.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM

Hi! When you ask about the classroom instruction and then the field exercises I’m guessing you’re referring to him getting trained for fire camp and wondering when he’ll get sent to a permanent camp. From my SO experience currently, it hasn’t been a fast three week one. He’s been there since the beginning of August ‘17. The wait there to get into classes for fire camp stuff has been a long one. Mine finished the first part of classes in December, then because of the holidays has pretty much been kept on pause to continue the rest.

As for the phone call, I think I got one about a month in. They do it by a lottery system, so it’s a lot harder to get a call.I got a letter before I got a call. I live in California too so it takes about two days for his letters to get to me, and about two weeks for him to get my letters.

I hope this somewhat helps ����
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maybeoneday2019 For This Useful Post:
Angela_Christie (02-17-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Help for Newbie Appreciated

I do thank you for your answers. My son has been there for 3 days (I think) and he tried to call me this morning but either had to hang up or got cut off before I could actually talk to him.

I was looking at the facility on Google Maps. It's kind of confusing. There is a label "Corrections Department" hovering over what looks like typical cell buildings, then there's a separate "Sierra Conservation Center" with a baseball diamond, basketball courts, possibly some other kind of housing, etc. I'm wondering what the difference between the two is exactly.

That's rather disturbing what you said about your SO being there for so long without either being sent to an actual fire camp or denied and sent back to a regular prison (God forbid!). I'm guessing this means that he's not getting the amazing 50% discount on his sentence while he's lingering in this CDCR limbo?

I'm such an anal person; this not knowing what's going on is going to kill me.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM
True Love Waits

Hi there!

Just a reminder that everyone that goes to SCC is not going to fight fires. They also have Level 2 inmates, who don't have a release date and are in the dorms. My husband has been there for over a year and will not be trained for fire fighting, instead he works in the hospital. Having never been there, I don't know how they are separated.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM

Hi ladies,

My friends husband just got transferred to Jamestown. Can you please tell me the best hotels to stay at? And any information she needs to know in regards to visiting?

Thank you in advance -

Old 05-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Wondering is someone can help?
MY son saw committee last week and was told he is minimum custody know and that he is going to fire camp and they told him his new release date at 33% but it does not make sense. His prior date was 04/2021 and now his consular told him his new date is 02/2020.He asked his friend and the way he calculated is for every month he gets 10 day credit but i thought is like this (36 months/33%=11 months 8 days.)
Very confused, please help out ?????