Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Sierra Conservation Center (SCC), located in Jamestown, California.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Thanked 3,897 Times in 1,226 Posts
Default ION scanning

Has anyone visited since they started the ION scanning? It was supposed to start beginning March 30, but I haven't heard anything more about it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 03:37 PM

When you get called to put your things through x-ray they will have you press a button to see if you are the random person they will test. If the button turns red, you are it. My understanding is that they take you to a room and swab your hands and your license and maybe something else with a cloth and test the cloth. If it picks up something they will offer you a strip search if you still want your contact visit.
I was lucky, I pressed green both days last weekend, so I cannot tell you any more than that. When I went through, I did not see anyone that swabbed positive. I heard some of the women talking about it, and one was saying that it will detect drugs if you have been in contact with them in the past 24 - 48 hours. That is about all I can tell you. I have heard nightmare stories from the Federal BOP though. Maybe someone else has more information that I?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaseeta View Post
When you get called to put your things through x-ray they will have you press a button to see if you are the random person they will test. If the button turns red, you are it. My understanding is that they take you to a room and swab your hands and your license and maybe something else with a cloth and test the cloth. If it picks up something they will offer you a strip search if you still want your contact visit.
I was lucky, I pressed green both days last weekend, so I cannot tell you any more than that. When I went through, I did not see anyone that swabbed positive. I heard some of the women talking about it, and one was saying that it will detect drugs if you have been in contact with them in the past 24 - 48 hours. That is about all I can tell you. I have heard nightmare stories from the Federal BOP though. Maybe someone else has more information that I?
Thank you for responding. VPASS sent an email in Feb. saying when the testing would begin. There was a link for more info and, according to that, if you test positive the first time, they give you the option of washing your hands and a second test will be performed. If this tests positive, you are required to have a strip search. If you refuse, you do not get a contact visit. Also, if you take prescription meds you are required to have a note from the doctor because they may test positive. Here's the link:

www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/Adult_Operations/docs/DOM/NCDOM/2014NCDOM/14-19/EDDE_Final_Text.pdf.?

I'm not sure I'd submit to a strip search if I tested positive a second time, but we travel over 300 miles to visit so we might not have a choice if we want to see our son. Makes me sick to even think about it.

I've also heard the nightmare stories about the Feds. They say even handling money can give a positive result. I hope things here won't go that far.
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
Staystrong (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
They say even handling money can give a positive result.
That is true. Cocaine is the number one drug found on money.

If there’s anything that I HATE about the prison system, it’s those ION scanners. Almost all of the prisons over here use them—maximum’s and medium’s anyway—and from my own personal experience, I’ve learnt that they are extremely sensitive. Sometimes I feel like going to a visit in a bubble ball just to be safe.
And I believe in miracles.”
Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 PM

These ION tests aren't always random. Out here in NY, if your man has drug charges, sold drugs on a previous bid , have or had gang affiliation, they will test you. They got me on Rikers and up top. I smoke so Im always careful.

Last edited by pinksourpatch; 04-15-2015 at 11:53 PM..
Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksourpatch View Post
These ION tests aren't always random. Out here in NY, if your man has drug charges, sold drugs on a previous bid , have or had gang affiliation, they will test you. They got me on Rikers and up top. I smoke so Im always careful.
So someone can basically be singled out and punished for what their loved one did? Oh how lovely.
And I believe in miracles.”
Old 04-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaseeta View Post
I really appreciate the info, but I hope you don't mind my asking, do you visit at SCC? Just wondering because it seems each prison in CA handles visiting processing a little differently and I'm curious to know how the ION scanning is going at SCC. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,592 Times in 6,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
I really appreciate the info, but I hope you don't mind my asking, do you visit at SCC? Just wondering because it seems each prison in CA handles visiting processing a little differently and I'm curious to know how the ION scanning is going at SCC. Thank you!
It's good to get info specific to SCC, however bear in mind that the policies that dictate how scanning subjects are chosen, test results are used and any punitive action based on those results is blanketed for the state. So while the button pressing may happen a little differently the process after should be nearly the same.

Caveat: this is CDCr.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyGoLightly View Post

That is true. Cocaine is the number one drug found on money.

If there’s anything that I HATE about the prison system, it’s those ION scanners. Almost all of the prisons over here use them—maximum’s and medium’s anyway—and from my own personal experience, I’ve learnt that they are extremely sensitive. Sometimes I feel like going to a visit in a bubble ball just to be safe.
It's not enough that we have to worry about wearing the proper clothing and getting through the metal detector without it going off. Now we have to worry about this ION scanner and everything we touch before a visit. It's already nerve wracking getting through without a problem. Now it's going to be even more stressful. Maybe a bubble ball is the answer!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Thanked 5,727 Times in 2,994 Posts

I heard that with money wash it in a washing machine, like in a lingerie bag. It cleans it.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
It's good to get info specific to SCC, however bear in mind that the policies that dictate how scanning subjects are chosen, test results are used and any punitive action based on those results is blanketed for the state. So while the button pressing may happen a little differently the process after should be nearly the same.

Caveat: this is CDCr.
Then it sounds like all prisons have to push a button to determine who is selected. I didn't know that so that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you. And I agree - we ARE dealing with CDCr which pretty much says it all.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I heard that with money wash it in a washing machine, like in a lingerie bag. It cleans it.
That's another thing I'm wondering about. In the link I posted above, it says:

EDDE swabs may be wiped along the following areas prior to testing, e.g., hands and fingers and
commonly touched or held articles such as pocket exteriors or openings, shoelaces, eyeglass handles, belt
buckles, watch bands, bracelets, etc. At no time shall a swab be used on breast or groin areas. The swab
will then be scanned by the EDDE.

It sounds like they swab a lot more than hands or a license which means we'll have to be extra careful about what we touch beforehand.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 PM
It's Not Funny Anymore

When I used to go to the feds to visit, I was scanned 2x but there depending on who is working, it could be everyone or random, it was always what ever CO was working. There they would run the scanner wand on your hands, shoes and pockets. 1 time they lightly ran it over my clothes. I kept all my clothes that I went to visit in, in air tight sealed bags and never washed them with my others, at that time I was the Director of a Substance Abuse Clinic and at times I had to confiscate drugs from clients. I also washed my quarters then placed them in sealed baggies. At the FBOP I visited cash was not allowed. I always put my gas in the night before and did not wear lotion, perfume or anything like that. Their scanners picked it up. Can't say much about CDCR's scanners. I just know I never took chances because of my job mostly. Hope that helps a lil.

~ Enough is Enough~

Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Caligurl209

I was reading that someone went thru the scanner bs. I wanted to know what side is that main side meaning lower yard or facility c meaning level 3? I don't got nothing to hide but I do have to say it's a lot more stress to deal with besides what to wear.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 691 Posts

The scanner has been on trial at Solano since last November. It isn't big deal. When you go into the area where you process you touch a button if it is green you process as usual. If it turns red you proceed to the scanner. The officer doing the scanning decides what he or she wants to scan. They can swab your hand or clothing or other body area. If the scanner tests positive you are allowed to wash your hands and test again. To my knowledge there has not been any positive scanner tests at Solano. This testing just takes a few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to krc1abc1 For This Useful Post:
tglsmom (04-23-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl20985 View Post
I was reading that someone went thru the scanner bs. I wanted to know what side is that main side meaning lower yard or facility c meaning level 3? I don't got nothing to hide but I do have to say it's a lot more stress to deal with besides what to wear.

It's not too bad. After you get your shoes searched and walk through the detector they let you through the barred door that leads to the visiting room. Before they let you in the visiting room they bring this panel out with a button on it. You press the button and the light will turn either green or red. Green means go and red means you get swabbed. I've gone twice since this system and I've pushed green both times. The other people who were in my group going in pushed green as well. Not sure how the swabbing goes if you push red, but I think they just swab the hands.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM143 View Post
It's not too bad. After you get your shoes searched and walk through the detector they let you through the barred door that leads to the visiting room. Before they let you in the visiting room they bring this panel out with a button on it. You press the button and the light will turn either green or red. Green means go and red means you get swabbed. I've gone twice since this system and I've pushed green both times. The other people who were in my group going in pushed green as well. Not sure how the swabbing goes if you push red, but I think they just swab the hands.
We visit Facility C and visited a couple of weeks ago. The scanner wasn't there on Saturday, but it was on Sunday. When we first walked in, we pushed the button and it was green for both of us. We then followed the usual routine. A couple of CO's told us that, if the light turns red, they are swabbing mostly for some type of drugs that I'm not familiar with. It doesn't seem like it's going to be a problem for most people.