Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

View Poll Results: Can money buy happiness?
Yes- money definitely would make me happier! 24 23.53%
No- it would not help with my current problems 4 3.92%
Would only make my life easier not happier 70 68.63%
Would end up creating more problems 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
grá mo chroí

Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,527 Posts

I think money would make my life easier.........not happier. Happiness is from the inside not material things. Although a new Nissan Rogue would make me extremely happy!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 10:13 AM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,248 Posts

Yup!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM View Post
I have been reading a few magazine articles recently on whether money can buy happiness and they all seem to reach different conclusions. What do you think:can money buy happiness? Would you be a lot happier if you had more money, would it just make your life easier or would it just create more problems?(I voted that it would make my life easier, not happier)
IMHO, happiness comes from within. I do believe that having enough money and a little extra makes things more comfortable, but does not bring true happiness.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 AM

I'm coming in on this thread way, way late, considering it was started in 2006, but it's an easy answer for me.

IMO, no, money cannot buy happiness, but it can sure make unhappiness A LOT more comfortable.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:16 AM

There is a saying in my country: "money can't buy happiness... let alone poverty!" :-)
I'm sure money cannot buy happiness, my life started to be a big mess when my dad got a better job, better money, better everything... so he left my mom for a younger wife, had better things to do than to come and visit me and my sister... money can get to your head if you never had any and they suddenly come your way.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM View Post
I have been reading a few magazine articles recently on whether money can buy happiness and they all seem to reach different conclusions. What do you think:can money buy happiness? Would you be a lot happier if you had more money, would it just make your life easier or would it just create more problems?(I voted that it would make my life easier, not happier)
Money does not make me truly happy, as that comes from within, not outside. I do believe that when you don't have to stress about money, life can be more comfortable. Actually, I have seen where people had all kinds of money but were miserable in their personal life. so that is why I believe it is crucial to find our happiness from within.
+VERDE+ (04-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,601 Times in 4,809 Posts

I come from a very poor background I can remember having no money for electricity or heating and never having enough food for a big family. In later years I have been fortunate very successful in my career and in my business interests. So having been on both sides of the fence I can say no money does not bring me true happiness but it makes life a lot easier and money can solve a lot of problems. Its a no brainer for me I would rather be unhappy and rich than unhappy and poor.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
cljinct (11-17-2017), xolady (11-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:02 PM

this contradicts with each other only in a world of scarcity. In the world of abundance you do not have a perception of wealth as making someone poorer.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Definitely easier, probably also happier. I wouldn't want to be rich, but having enough to not worry about it from time to time, that would make me happier.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM
OnparoleinTO

There's quite a bit of evidence on this question. a - having enough money to satisfy basic needs like food and shelter is obviously important; b- people are affected less by how much they have and more by how they compare themselves to others. Societies with more inequality have more problems of virtually every kind. There's a great book about this called The Spirit Level (Wilkinson & Pickett), also an excellent website.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (08-04-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,829 Times in 1,600 Posts

Seeing this thread made me laugh and think of the movie Can't buy me Love

I don't think money can buy you happiness.. But, it'll help.

Last edited by David; 03-16-2017 at 09:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-09-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanked 2,773 Times in 958 Posts

I think it depends on how much money. If you get a good bump in your salary or get a small inheritance then I do think money can buy/provide you with things to help you be happier. Someone who can afford all their basic bills are less stressed and feels more secure, improving their mood. If you are not good at managing money or you all of a sudden get a lottery windfall it can bring more problems. There are a lot of lottery winner stories that show that winning the money left the person worse off eventually than they were without the money. Also it depends on what you are spending the money on. Are you just buying material things or are you spending it to enrich your life? (school, charity, opening a business you've always wanted to start, etc.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
David (03-16-2017), xolady (08-09-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 593 Posts

Money can't make you happy but it can enable you to search for happiness in very interesting and exotic places!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
There's quite a bit of evidence on this question. a - having enough money to satisfy basic needs like food and shelter is obviously important; b- people are affected less by how much they have and more by how they compare themselves to others. Societies with more inequality have more problems of virtually every kind. There's a great book about this called The Spirit Level (Wilkinson & Pickett), also an excellent website.
I think the effect of wealth diminishes the closer one gets to the top of Maslow's Hierarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
Curt'swife8 (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
I think the effect of wealth diminishes the closer one gets to the top of Maslow's Hierarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs
I believe this is true too!

The truth is: the more money you have, the more money you "want". There is always a chase, unless of course there is such an abundance that you no longer ever think about cost. There are LOTS of very wealthy people who lose it all! Some go bankrupt! Some go to prison! Some have high addictions to drugs! Some overdose! Some commit suicide! Etc. Etc.

"Truly" impoverished people will have less stresses if they had closer to a middle-class standing. Likewise, people could argue some very rich people could have more happiness than they have with that same middle-class standing!

Last edited by Curt'swife8; 08-05-2017 at 08:13 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Curt'swife8 For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:01 AM

Default Diminishing returns effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt'swife8 View Post
I believe this is true too!

The truth is: the more money you have, the more money you "want". There is always a chase, unless of course there is such an abundance that you no longer ever think about cost. There are LOTS of very wealthy people who lose it all! Some go bankrupt! Some go to prison! Some have high addictions to drugs! Some overdoes! Some commit suicide! Etc. Etc.

"Truly" impoverished people will have less stresses if they had closer to a middle-class standing. Likewise, people could argue some very rich people could have more happiness than they have with that same middle-class standing!
I'm not speaking from experience but it seems to me that once one has a yacht, Ferrari, bizjet, several mansions, a few diamond encrusted watches and other status symbols, buying more would have a diminishing returns effect. I think it might be similar to experiencing something intense or wonderful for the first time or taking that first hit of cocaine. (I'm guessing about the coke.) More of the same would just be more of the same.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Coopers disciple

99% of my problems could be solved with money + a lot of things that make me happy are not free, so yes, I would be a lot happier if I wasn't poor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirin For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (11-18-2017), xolady (11-18-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 PM

I don’t believe money provides happiness as much as it provides a sense of security.......
Old 11-17-2017, 08:13 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,138 Times in 7,695 Posts

Meh, it can buy a shit ton of therapy so you can figure out why you aren't happy.

Poverty will never make you happy. Happiness comes from the love you surround yourself with and having a purpose to your life.

Hough that Mercedes helps - crying on a bicycle sucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 02:39 PM

My guy is wealthy and was very successful professional before he got locked up ..Before he got locked up, he was kinda douchey at times and also acted very entitled. I don't play that shit and would let him know when he was acting like a pompous dick.. LOL I actually think prison has seriously humbled him.. Although, in his typical fashion and because of he has money, he has people cleaning his cube for him, cooking and bringing him his food, and clean laundry.. Things are NEVER perfect how much money you have..I remind him of that in letters . My family has money as well and I have been offfered condos, partnership and eventual ownership of my Dad's company in FL. I turn it all down. It is not what I want to do in my life and know I'd be so miserable and spiral into depression. I make ok money but live in an expensive city so I basically live paycheck to paycheck BUT I am happy and love my life here even without my man.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,116 Posts

I don't think you can buy happy but with enough money you can certainly be very comfortable!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,805 Posts

No money doesn't buy you happiness. It pays your bills and buys you material things. It makes life a little easier. But by no means does that change the way your heart feels or it makes you not depressed. As you have seen that even rich actors who have everything have killed themselves. My husband is connected and when I met him he had so much money on him it made me nervous. But he learned really quickly that I didn't need or want for anything but his time and attention which he gladly gave me. I don't need anything else. I would live in a cardboard box on the side of the road as long as I have him im happy.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:23 PM

Well I totally disagree with above I know damn well I could not be happy living in a cardboard box!!! I know money makes me feel better and can keep me feeling pretty damn good!!! I like being able to go and buy what ever I need and not worrying about bills that I can't pay. If anything I learned that depending on another for my happiness is not ever going to work and I have to make my own happiness.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Money can't buy everything. It can't buy poverty.
Money can't buy happiness but it can let you search in some fascinating places!
Seriously, money can buy happiness if it pays for an acquittal or successful appeal.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post
Money can't buy everything. It can't buy poverty.
Money can't buy happiness but it can let you search in some fascinating places!
Seriously, money can buy happiness if it pays for an acquittal or successful appeal.
This isn't about prison or legal stuff! So my answer is yes it can buy happiness!!!