Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: people who get drug and or related cases should get sentenced to?
some kind of rehab to overcome addiction 512 94.29%
go straight to jail - "I have no sympathy for DOPERS!" 31 5.71%
Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Everyone Fave GoofBall

Rehab Not Incaration

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2006, 06:37 AM

With the meth epidemic as bad as it is in this country the jails are overcrowded, and the prisons are too. There are not enough rehabs. Especially in my state. Almost nothing for low income abusers. I think a whole new approach needs to be implemented to deal with this. What's there right now is apparently not working.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 7,103 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslilbaby
I know a ton of other things would consider each case different, but drug charges in general are what I am referring to here..
Is prison the answer for the people who get caught up in an addiction?
California has new laws for drug cases to go to rehab's insteed.... what do you think?
I prayed my son would receive treatment. I begged his attorney to try to get it. he didn't even try. just tried for a plea, and now he is in state jail for selling less than 1 gram of crack. he was selling to support his addiction. I think all prisons need to offer real help for all crimes, not just drugs. just my oppinion.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toi_ama View Post
Well, I've been in recovery for over 18 years and I've seen a lot. While rehab sounds like a great idea, it's really not all that great. A person facing prison is going to choose rehab, insist they want it, and complain they don't get it, of course, but it's not very effective in the long run. What you end up with is an educated alcoholic/addict who still drinks and/or uses. That's why they don't institute rehab instead of prison or jail. It's a waste of money. I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I'm just speaking the truth. If a person doesn't desperately want to stop drinking and/or using, they're not going to no matter what. You have to hit bottom. People who go to prison are doing a version of what every drunk does when they're puking their guts up------"Oh please God, if you make this stop, I swear I'll never do it again". And then as soon as we know we'll live, we're off and running for the next one. Same with every addict who OD's and survives or has a bad trip and survives. As soon as it's over, the disease tells us that it really wasn't so bad and that we can drink and use and control it so we won't screw up the next time.

If someone truly wants to get into recovery, every prison I know of allows the 12 step programs to come in, and it's the 12 step programs that are proven to be the one most effective means of getting into recovery and successfully staying in recovery. Therefore, there IS the best kind of help already available to them and for free----nobody pays to get it and the taxpayers don't pay for it. Therefore, I have to say that I'm not for mandated rehab. The best rehab there is is hitting a bottom so darned hard that you'll do anything to stop living like that. I've seen people go through things that I think absolutely MUST be their bottom, only to see them go back out. But for a lot of people, prison can be what saves their lives.
While 12 step programs do work for some individuals, they also have a near 95% failure rate. As a matter of fact many people who break their addiction to drugs do so on their own without assistance. As most 12 step programs would agree, drug addiction is a symptom of a greater problem. A problem with one's self, it's not always as simple as following a program.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 AM

Hello all,
My brother was sentenced to what amounts to 18 months, DWLSR, DUI (#5), refuse to test. He lost his license for life at 17, turned 49 at CFRC. He had done county time before, but prison has truly rocked his world! As far as I know, he has never been offered, and when family has asked, there has been no kind of rehab options. I don't know that his life would have been changed, I do know that warehousing doesn't work. He was picked up on a traffic stop, no accident, no injuries Praise God. I have been feeling it has been the hand of God keeping him safe with a couple of incidents he has relayed since being transferred to prison, but I digress.....I have always felt if he had been put in residential rehab the first or maybe second time (this was before the laws were changed here in Fla) perhaps, maybe, it would have been different. I know the chances for most are slim, but if your spending money to warehouse these people that have addiction problems, spend the money on the rehab gamble some of them won't go back over and over, and maybe not face DUI manslaughter a decade later. I believe education and early intervention would save enough families in the long run to make it well worth the initial investment. As always, just my opinion........
Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 PM

one reason why the prisons are so over crowded now is because inmates are not given any oppurtunity for recovery. they get sentenced to jail sentences, placed in jail to fight there withdrawals on there own, maybe never even get the chance to dry out because of the drugs inside the jails, and are exposed to learning new connections or new ways to get high or supply their addiction. if they were giving treatment and i mean real treatment before their release back out into society they might prevent future crimes and incarcerations. whoever says they dont have room for doppers most likely has never had to experience the problems of drug addiction even by a loved one. jail is keep society safe from harmful people. most drug users are only harmful to theirself and the crimes they commit are to supply their habit and if they didnt have the habit would have never committed the crime
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girlnthewoods For This Useful Post:
dopeys_shortee (09-11-2010)
Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 AM

True...the 12 Step program has its faults, and the relapse rate is very high, almost as high as that of people who try to quit cold turkey. So, what if prison is used as that "rock bottom"? The same could go for prison as for rehab. Shit, honestly, if I were an addict, the first thing I'd want to do upon getting out of prison is go home (or somewhere) and get high. Any excuse is better than none, right? And what better excuse to self-medicate than "I just got out of prison"? Hmmm? A damned good excuse if you ask me. So...a criminal record notwithstanding, I don't go for "prison as rehab." Like Twilightofidols said, drug abuse is a symptom of a bigger problem, a problem that prison certainly does not solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightofidols View Post
While 12 step programs do work for some individuals, they also have a near 95% failure rate. As a matter of fact many people who break their addiction to drugs do so on their own without assistance. As most 12 step programs would agree, drug addiction is a symptom of a greater problem. A problem with one's self, it's not always as simple as following a program.

The Following User Says Thank You to penpal915 For This Useful Post:
Twilightofidols (10-13-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
gj07

Default First Offenders

Yes, they do put first time offenders in prison with drug problems. I do not believe the short term drug rehabs are that effective, but the alternate to prisons are for 18-24 months and they do have a great success rate and the cost is very much lower. Apparently, some in law enforcement prefer the long prison time. I can think of no other reason than to further their careers with the publicity. For some that have never experienced trouble with the law, just the jail time is enough to turn them around. Sorry, my first experience with this justice system and I am still very bitter. What I have learned is that the poor are targetted more since the rich can pay their way out.
The Following User Says Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
carole54frogs (12-02-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 AM

My Fiecnee and i both just got new drug charges. Well there the first for me and the second for him. And since i had another felony within 5 year the county attorney filed persistant felon charges against me. Tony last charge was almost 9 years ago so im not sure if they are giving him that too. Anyway my Probation officer is asking that i be placed in this intensive rehab designed just for meth addicition then prerelease well thats great (well its not great) but what will happen with the rest of the time. More probation goin to prision anyway who knows cause i dont know what is going on with me or anything else. Rehab doesn't sound anybetter then prision to me.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM

Addiction to cigarettes does not put you in jail. No addiction should put you in jail, especially private prisons which donate $$ to legislators who vote for mandatory minimums which fill the private prisons resulting in more profits to donate to...
Addiction should be treated as a health issue, not just a law-and-order issue. It changes one's brain. Relapse is an unfortunate part of the disease. Forced treatment works just as well as if one chooses to go (see NIDA research).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nmnatesmom For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (08-21-2009), wheelergirl (03-21-2010)
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM

it depends. repeat offenders who have been given chance after chance may need some kind of jail time to get over things. i know my hunny did and him getting some time is the only thing that has helped so far. i'm not saying 10 years or anything but for him, this worked more than treatment, rehab etc did

Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com
Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Fisher of Men

Rehab center for sure. It is such a waste of money to incarcerate drug users, only so they can go dope up when they get out. We should be helping them by giving them a better option.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 AM

My B/F had been a daily drug user for over 20 years ! He started with cocain and after giving a dirty u.a. at his job they put him thru rehab. then over time he started using Meth. Long story short there was a grand jury indictment with a 10 yr. m.m. and the day he walked out of the fed. building was the last time he did meth ! He did daily call ins and random u.a.'s at their request, He did everything they expected him to do , He got a good job(iron worker) , worked everyday and even on sat., He built back the relationship with his family that had weakened over time, He owed some back child support, got that underway and after almost 2 yrs.and 20 thousand dollars it was time to face the judge ! He is now serving 70 month in fed. prison !
If its about being punished , he is doing that forsure and if its about rehabilitation , he has forsure done that and now the only thing left is time...lost time for the next 70 months and he lives with that everyday as do his parents , his son , his 2 granddaughters and myself !
Everyday is a struggle , Its to late now but I Wish there had a better way !
Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Look back to the early 20th Century--indeed, up until World War II alcoholics were routinely jailed or committed to state hospitals for lengthy periods (years!) on the grounds that they had committed "crimes or moral turpitude". The U.S. attempted Prohibition--we all know what a great success that was! Until 1976, the AA "Big Book" was issued with a dust jacket that could be reversed to plain black so that no one would have to see that you were carrying a book that might indicate you were or had anything to do with someone who had a drinking problem.

Stigmatizing an illness does not cure it. The past century has seen the "technique" applied, variously, to TB and AIDS patients among others, without effecting a single cure. In the case of addictions, there is of course a "cure" available, though as a rule it only works as well as the patient is willing to accept it (much as someone with TB or any other chronic condition only receives benefit for as long as s/he takes his or her medication).

Do we imprison diabetics who do not take their insulin?

Prison is not medicine, while addiction, of any kind, is a disease. Mere possession of a drug might be an indicator of addiction, but by and large it doesn't mean a whole lot. There is a bottle of rubbing alcohol under my sink and I believe a bottle of mouthwash in the house somewhere--strangely, I am still sober and have been for quite some time. Imprisoning anyone because they are ill or on the presumption that they may be ill or may possibly have an intention to provide others with a substance that feeds their illness, helps no one and only clogs an already overcrowded prison system.

If someone commits a crime as a result of their addiction (for example, robs a gas station to get money for drugs) that is a legitimate crime and should be dealt with as such. Similarly, we prosecute drunk or intoxicated drivers, as they present a danger to themselves and to others. Someone who is drunk or stoned and watching the patterns on the wallpaper in their own home is no threat to anyone. They have a right to be left alone--and we, as a society, have a duty to respect that right.

If we, as a society, take upon ourselves the right to bring criminal charges against people who are doing nothing but minding their own business in a manner which is offensive to one "moralist" or another, where, may I ask, do we stop? Under a large enough magnifying glass, whose life, if anyone's will be found to be above reproach?

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 AM

Its a medical problem that creates even worse problems down the road in prison.

Its not worth it sending people to prison over drugs.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Default I disagree.

My son was thrown in prison on his first offense, he had never gotten in any kind of trouble or stopped by the police before, he got cought with two other adults who were about 10 yrs older than him he had just turned 18 yrs a couple of weeks before and the judge gave him the most harsh sentenced compared to the others. I am not saying that he was innocent, but it was proven that this was his first offense and he still got thrown in prison with regular population.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM

I have to agree the mass amount of time these guys are getting is ridiculous. My husband is serving 5 years 9 months and that's his minimum for manufacture meth. Only thing is he didn't have anything but the tools to make it with. No evidence whatsoever to prove substance. However, because it was so widely publicized on our local news they really threw the book at him. And I don't know about you guys but my husband and I have 5 kids, which means for the most part when he was home I stayed at home with the kids while he worked. Guess what kind of position that left me in. We have 2 years 5 months left. I emailed Bev Perdue to ask if she could at least help him get a level so he could work release sooner so he could help me provide for our family. Her reply was she couldn't get involved in judicial matters. But wasn't it Ms. Perdue who just stuck her nose into judicial matters by blocking the lifers in NC from getting out. I guess they would rather have half or better of our community to be on constant reliance of social services rather than helping our men instead of hindering by treating them like dirt with ridiculous mandantory minimums. Support FAMM
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
you're NEVER alone babe.

Well, my husband got 20 years for his first felony of possession under 400g. Might seem like a lot, but its not considering it goes from 1-4, under 20 , under 400, and so on. But, 20 years? Are you kidding me? Clearly, he had a problem. And all that prison is doing is putting him in a place with other criminals and letting the anger grow. If you ask me.

In tx we have something called safep or something like that. Its like rehab. They put you in a low security prison with other drug offenders. You go there for 9 months then are sent to a halfway house for 3 months and then put on madatory supervision for another 9 months. Everyone I know who has gone through this, is doing great still. And, they were people who were 1st time 2nd time offenders or even people who failed drug test why on probation. I don't understand why, when they see this is a proven method that has been working, would they stick someone in there for 20 years? It was like, they were just trying to push the problem away, instead of fixing it.

Let's not even talk about MSD.

Long journey ahead of us--but you're worth everyday babe!!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Thumbs up Drugs and Justice system

drugs are a lot like having sex in a way, We all know by now that we like that activity? If someone told me I am not aloud to have sex for the rest of my life, Well I would laugh at them and say, "Yea uh okay, I just wont tell anyone about what goes on behind my hidden doors". We like the feeling or whatever else goes along with your desires. Hey lets face it programs are a lot of help with giving a sense of direction and tools to use to help a persons current situation. My Man is in chino Prison for violating a curfew that gps reported to his parole agent, but he was at a job a good job and yes he uses sex,drugs and alcohol and they denied him any sort of drug program. now a good job he does not have because he was thirty min past curfew. Makes me really sick. He should of been taken to rehab to help him get on his feet not back to the gutter.

Last edited by michelio; 07-10-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM
II SOOPA STAR
Donation Award 

Puting someone in JAIL for a drug charge does not help that person NOR does it benefit society. They need REHAB!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Missing my BabyRhew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cik607 View Post
Puting someone in JAIL for a drug charge does not help that person NOR does it benefit society. They need REHAB!!!!!!

I totaly agree with you if the person is wanting the help. Rhew is on his third bid and did the drug program every time. This time he finally woke up though and is in a facility that is strick and is only drug related offenders. I am seeing changes in him and I contribute it to his willingness to take the help and the program that is available to him. I feel if an inmate wants the help that it should be made available to them.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Penpal To Many

This thread is so long with some awesome answers but i couldnt get thru them all, sorry if i repeat something someone else has said...

I really believe in rehab as opposed to prison for drug users. By placing a drug user into jail and prison, all its doing is educating them in the land of "CRIMINAL". There are drug users out there, who function on a daily basis, who have office jobs, who work hard to support a family. Because they have a vice that, does that make them a criminal? To me no.

Its the same as prostitution! I cant wait for the USA to make it legal so those poor girls can stay out of the jail/prison system and into safe brothels where they are looked after by management and it be regulated by the government. In Australia it is legal, prostitutes pay tax and have rights. They can buy houses! They can have credit cards! They are contributing in a positive way in society and within our country.

America needs to have a good look at its laws and reassess things. Less jail, more action!

sorry, rant over
Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 PM

i heard about that new law in california but apparently it isn't rinqinq true in san dieqo cause my man is locked up && doinq 24 months on a druq possesion charqe which was less than a qram ( 0.17 qram to be exact) even one of his friends (who was at his court with me) told me "don't worry...he'll qet a proqram cause of the new law" i qot extra upset when there were other quys (that had bailed out before court) who had possesion charqes too (&& more than my babe had)...even one who had a dealinq, possesion && intent to sell charqe && they ALL qot a proqram but mine had to qet time.

oh && throwinq them in jail or prison does NOT help. it can actually make it worse. my bf wasn't in there 2 weeks when he told me durinq a visit that one of the quys had offered him some druqs but he didn't take it (i would've beat his butt if he did). they can qet druqs in jail just as easy as they can outside...sometimes easier. rehab can help even if they qo in not wantinq to stop cause i have seen it happen && they haven't touched it since.

we're enqaqed!!

Last edited by dopeys_shortee; 09-11-2010 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: forqot to add somethinq...aqain!! bad short term memory
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxInOz View Post
This thread is so long with some awesome answers but i couldnt get thru them all, sorry if i repeat something someone else has said...

I really believe in rehab as opposed to prison for drug users. By placing a drug user into jail and prison, all its doing is educating them in the land of "CRIMINAL". There are drug users out there, who function on a daily basis, who have office jobs, who work hard to support a family. Because they have a vice that, does that make them a criminal? To me no.

Its the same as prostitution! I cant wait for the USA to make it legal so those poor girls can stay out of the jail/prison system and into safe brothels where they are looked after by management and it be regulated by the government. In Australia it is legal, prostitutes pay tax and have rights. They can buy houses! They can have credit cards! They are contributing in a positive way in society and within our country.

America needs to have a good look at its laws and reassess things. Less jail, more action!

sorry, rant over
yay for rantinq lol. what you say is true thouqh. if an younq, iqnorant kid qets locked up for havinq or sellinq druqs && he's around quys who are older, wiser && have done worse thinqs...he can be influenced to do the same. some quys miqht try to tell him to be qood but there are always those that are qoinq to try to influence him to do worse. then what happends when they finish their term? what are they qonna say if that same kid, who should've qone to rehab to start with, murders someone? people don't always turn out worse after prison but some do && the system needs to think about thinqs like that before they just throw every druq case into that type of settinq.

we're enqaqed!!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM

I dont think prison is the answer, the prison system is doing away with so many programs for drug offender, because of budget uses. A girlfriend of mine is in prison in oklahoma, she said the gets drugs all time in there. Its a sickness just like smokin, drinking, or any other drug some can kick the habit on own some need help. But u have to change the enviroment u run with. Them friends u thought was your friend cant b a friend anymore.