Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > The Parents Forum Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,986 Times in 6,341 Posts
Default ~Peace be with you~

(I meant to post this in the lounge but ended up here, mods feel free to move it to the comfy chairs in the parent lounge..thanks!)

Any time there is sadness or trouble anywhere...it is hard on the whole community like a ripple effect. One pebble of worry or trouble makes wide circles of concern, growing into ever widening rings before the water goes still once more. Remember that the water WILL go still again and once more be serene. This time of the year is highly busy and emotionally charged.

Here is a technique to still the waters..based on centering prayer or contemplative prayer as some call it:

Find a comfy spot. Relax and get quiet, if you have a noisy house, then go for a walk alone.

Acknowledge that God is with you. Say "God I know you are here with me. I just want to be with you. I know you love me and I love you".

Take a deep breath and sigh it out.

Do not pray, read or speak any more at this point. Try not to think of anything, if you drift into thought just repeat "Je-sus, Je-sus" over and over with every in and out breath.

Focus only on the fact that you are there with God.

Do this for 5 minutes.

End by saying "thank you God for being with me."

so again it is:
1-relax
2-know that God is with you
3-DO NOTHING just BE there
4-end with a thank you to God

Restore peace in your world by doing this daily.

Last edited by jancy; 11-30-2010 at 08:42 AM..
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
addictsmom (12-22-2010), amaslow (12-07-2010), believenHim (11-30-2010), Bobmom (11-30-2010), boflipflops36 (11-30-2010), bumblebee37 (11-30-2010), CherylW (12-03-2010), dbass (11-30-2010), judean07 (11-30-2010), KamisSister (12-20-2010), Lunchlady (12-22-2010), mattsmon (11-30-2010), MotherJ (11-30-2010), mrsrimoldi (12-01-2010), Niki (11-30-2010), Ted's mom (11-30-2010), Terihe (11-30-2010), TerryLee (12-20-2010), wickit (12-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanked 1,831 Times in 599 Posts

This is so serene.... Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Terihe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,034 Posts

OOOOOOH I like this Jancy. Thanks! Will use after fighting the shoppers at the mall this week!
The Following User Says Thank You to southernsarah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

I am on the middle day of a three day seminar on Christmas Presence. It is about making time to take time, feeling God with you, being able to not be so busy and trust that God is in control.

We all have a co-pilot...it is ok to close your eyes now and then and SLOW down.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (12-01-2010), Niki (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanked 2,791 Times in 868 Posts

Thanks Jancy - sounds like the peace I need right now!
The Following User Says Thank You to dbass For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Thanked 5,448 Times in 1,495 Posts

Thank You !!!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

so tonight was night two of the seminar.
we learned this:
what do you have to do to bring God into your presence?
answer: nothing
he is already there.

what do we have to do to bring ourselves into God's presence?
answer: nothing
we are already there.

stop doing so much and just "be"
just because
it is so important to waste time with God and remember he will never leave us
he is always there. always
he is like the parent hovering over you
he never gets tired of you
never sleeps
watches over you
all
the
time
just because!
Christmas people feel his presence all the time. it doesn't take just the right gift or just the right decoration or even just the right card or cookie...
you can do NOTHING and it is enough.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (12-01-2010), dbass (11-30-2010), Niki (12-02-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanked 1,831 Times in 599 Posts

Jancy... This is so true.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terihe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM
tired

Thanked 14,174 Times in 3,688 Posts

This is a really nice thread jancy, thank you for taking the time to put it out here for all of us to think about.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Flippin-N-Flyin
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,673 Posts

Thanks for that Nancy, my head is always so full of stuff that I have no peace of mind.

Love my 1st grandson, RIP
I miss you!
The Following User Says Thank You to wickit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

Thanks my friend. As God says 'Be still" let God come in our heart and life.
The Following User Says Thank You to boflipflops36 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 PM

This is the best deal and love hearing this so posative and helpful do nothing is sometimes the best for all in family friends... lives!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

last night was the end of the seminar. the message was this:
Christmas is not YOUR birthday, it is not your children's birthday, it is not your friends' birthday...it is to celebrate the birth of Christ.

when our forefathers came over from Europe, they brought with them the tradition of putting up the tree on Christmas eve, perhaps gave their kids on orange or apple and some nuts (my parents got that so this is not that far removed).
It was more of a holy day than a holi-day. Christmas began Christmas Eve and went to Jan 7-the feast of the three kings.

in time, the Christmas season was Americanized to start at Thanksgiving and last til day after Christmas...why? because of the stores wanting to sell stuff.

The teacher at the seminar suggests that we DO celebrate it from Thanksgiving for a month. He said to do special things with family...simple things. Perhaps hot chocolate night with the grandkids, taking time to tell them family stories of past Christmas's. Search for a yule log if you have a fireplace and decorate it up before burning. Get rid of the clutter and share those boxes of decorations with others! Keep it a season of peace and hope by not do-do-doing or buy buy buying everything.

Our teacher had us close our eyes and imagine a past Christmas from childhood...a good one. Picture who is there. Picture what is going on, Imagine how you feel and why you feel that way.

I immediately pictured my grandparents big old farm house. My grandpap was lying on his couch the way he always did, propped up with pillows and we would lay beside him and rest our head on his chest to watch TV with him. he was a hard worker who had horses in the barn, lots of other animals. he came in when the sun went down and rested this way. He smelled of pipe tobacco. My grandmother would be busy in the kitchen, cousins would come running in, food smelling wonderful in the air. They heated with a coal furnace with a big grate to the living room. We would stand over that grate to warm up.

In my mind I saw my handsome father smiling as usual, my mom helping her mom in the kitchen, my grandmother's tall tree in the corner in the parlor, glistening with that old time silver icicle stuff that crinkled. My grandmother had a big ole organ in the parlor and horsehair stuffed furniture. We kids would bang on the organ and play "music". The adults exchanged one simple gift with each other, kids got envelopes with perhaps $2.00 in each. On the wall in the parlor, my grandmother had a long picture frame that held baby pictures of the seven of us kids, with a smaller one below it that held the four cousins' baby pictures.

How did I feel in this glimpse back into the past? I felt safe. I felt like things were all taken care of and I was not responsible for any of it. I felt loved, and watched over. I knew someone was in charge and it was not me. I knew they would let no harm come to me and they would provide for me. I was care free.

The teacher told us at the seminar that this is the way we can feel even now. Even with any problems we have. We can feel safe and know that GOD is in control, he loves us and he can provide for our needs. The world today tells us that no one will help, no one is there. But God says He will NEVER leave us. He has all the resources we need and loves us enough to provide for us.

At the end of the seminar, we each went forth and took a small wrapped gift out of a basket. That gift represented our problems and needs. We went to the manger scene and laid that gift before the infant Jesus. We left him the gift of our family, our job worrries, our sickness and weakness. We turned away and left him in charge of that. It is our gift to Him that we trust him enough to work on this stuff, and we can go away in peace, knowing he will.

Christmas can be simple. Cut out those things you do not enjoy. IF you hate to send cards, don't send them, when you get one from someone, pick up the phone and call them and said hello. IF you do not want to shop, don't. I mean it just DON'T. Go thru your old photos and give them to the person in the photo along with a note of what they mean to you. make your special cookie if you enjoy that and give them away, give away your ornaments with a note to the person you give it to.

In any case, be sure to celebrate Christmas for the sake of those in your home. Do not let this be the holiday they remember mom or dad being so devastated because their other child was in prison. Let it be the Christmas you remember all coming together IN SPITE of one family member in prison. remember your best childhood Christmas and hold that in your heart.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
bluebella (12-03-2010), boflipflops36 (12-07-2010), dbass (12-06-2010), judean07 (12-07-2010), Terihe (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 PM

AMEN Thank You Jancy
boflipflops36 (12-07-2010), jancy (12-03-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

In reading around the forum I hear some of your stories about past Christmas's that should have never happened to anyone. I know it might seem rosy for me to recall that one special happy Christmas, and of course I have had many many ones that go down in history as total nightmares.

the point is to find a happy focus and refuse to let sad memories dominate this year. I know it is hard, heck I still can see my mom screaming at us, being too busy to notice us, criticizing our choices for gifts, not getting out of bed Christmas morning. (we each had a stack of the same stuff every year no matter what it was that we asked Santa for-slippers, a nightie, a coloring book and crayons) We came down and saw our name on a stack with those same items each year. As we got older we did not even bother to move the stack because it was same ole same ole. She never let us touch the tree. it was hers. she hated company, complained about cooking and never and I mean NEVER made Christmas dinner. She would cook a ham over night and when we got hungry at any time during the day we could make a sandwich.

When my kids grew up I made them the perfect holiday: special breakfast breads and fruit, got them every thing they asked for that I could, had relatives in, made punch and cookies and every treat...each year wrote up a menu of gourmet recipes and did it up. I decorated every thing that did not move, including the toilet.

Even so my son grew up so start spoiling the holidays from about age 13. One Christmas he disappeared Christmas eve and sat in his car doing LSD and other stuff for two days parked in the woods. I lost two days looking for him and of course laid in agony on the couch instead of making a Christmas for my other son. My ex husband was much like my mom-hated holidays, people, sharing, etc...started fighting about everything days before and days after.

oh my, where they get these movies of hallmark holidays is beyond me!

Thing is I only remember that ONE happy Christmas. When I was asked to recall a happy one, that was it. LOL SO I will focus on that! I prefer to not keep reliving the horrid times in my mind...that brings the monster and the feeling that goes with it right back to life! So let's put a stake thru the heart of bad Christmas memories and focus on good times-even if there was only one. We still have many Christmas's ahead of us and we can start with this one to gather up good ones! Now that we are grownups we can make it the way we choose with the resources we have at hand. Do the best ya can!

Last edited by jancy; 12-06-2010 at 08:18 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (12-07-2010), dbass (12-06-2010), judean07 (12-07-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanked 2,791 Times in 868 Posts

Thanks Jancy - you always have a way of bringing me back to what's important, and to help me focus on the positive - on the blessings. They're there - like I said in another post - the bad, hard times scream in your face, but the blessings are there - you just have to change your way of thinking and realize it's your choice what you focus on.....
Bet you have a great Christmas this year Jancy!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbass For This Useful Post:
jancy (12-07-2010), TerryLee (12-20-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
“Just know that I am here

Thanked 4,434 Times in 1,268 Posts

From the bottom of my heart thank you for this post. I really needed it.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead ~
The Following User Says Thank You to judean07 For This Useful Post:
jancy (12-07-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

as we approach the day of Christ's birth, wishing you all a peaceful christmas, a quiet night as quiet as the first silent night, and joy to be had in 2011 with hope that stays even when it looks hope-less.
HUGS to all!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
dbass (12-20-2010), mandymoo (12-20-2010), TerryLee (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanked 4,853 Times in 1,380 Posts

Sounds like a awesome seminar...
Blessings to you and thanks for putting this up.
Sorry I'm so late at getting to reading this post. Busy with grandkids...boy am I exhausted.and I have 2 weeks to go...I'm helping out my daughter by taking the grandkids while they are out of school...man I give you grandmas alot of credit for doing this full time.
Nehemiah 8:10
The Joy of the LORD is your strength

RELEASE DATE... 2/13/16
Believing GOD will bring her home sooner
Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

you just have to remember to keep thinking outside the box.
we tend to think as humans...lol
we have to keep in mind that God thinks differently. He sees things as NOT impossible. He doesnt see our circumstances as too hard to solve. From His perspective there is no reason for worry, anxiety, fear, doubt or uncertainty.

Choose to believe He can, He is willing and able and He has a way out, regardless of the situation.

Set your mind on that and be at peace. Say "I can't but I know YOU can".

Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

more good news...
we are gaining a minute of daylight every day! YAY