Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Illinois prison system.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Default New Law for sentencing credits in Illinois?

Hi everyone,

I am new here and could use some help. My loved one is currently in prison and he says everyone inside is talking about a law that would change sentence credits. He says that if you were required to serve 85% it could be reduced. I haven't been able to find any info and I'm not sure it's true. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrlvr13 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new here and could use some help. My loved one is currently in prison and he says everyone inside is talking about a law that would change sentence credits. He says that if you were required to serve 85% it could be reduced. I haven't been able to find any info and I'm not sure it's true. Thanks for your help.
Hi there. What’s changed is that truth in sentencing offenders can earn EDSC credits now. Here a John Hopkins report on it. Try googling “truth in sentencing and edsc credits”, you’ll find more info. Parole violators can also now earn SSC while participating in programs. I’m pretty sure the truth in sentencing has a couple of excluded convictions but you should be able to find more online.

http://www.thejha.org/sites/default/...20by%20JHA.pdf

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

Old 06-19-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Actually it’s a rumor that’s going around all Illinois prisons right now that it’s happening. There’s no statutes on it yet and we haven’t heard anything about it as far as those outside. There is a bill I believe that allows those that previously couldn’t receive program credits to receive them, effectively reducing your sentence. But that’s all I can think of at the moment.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,042 Times in 16,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesgirl1111 View Post
Hi there. What’s changed is that truth in sentencing offenders can earn EDSC credits now. Here a John Hopkins report on it. Try googling “truth in sentencing and edsc credits”, you’ll find more info. Parole violators can also now earn SSC while participating in programs. I’m pretty sure the truth in sentencing has a couple of excluded convictions but you should be able to find more online.

http://www.thejha.org/sites/default/...20by%20JHA.pdf
The John Hopkins Report is only proposed changes (in their opinion)...from October 2018

If anyone is so inclined and has the time, the Illinois General Assembly website has current statutes as well as any proposed Bills, including the progress of each proposed Bill as they make their way through the legislative process

http://www.ilga.gov/

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:45 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
The John Hopkins Report is only proposed changes (in their opinion)...from October 2018

If anyone is so inclined and has the time, the Illinois General Assembly website has current statutes as well as any proposed Bills, including the progress of each proposed Bill as they make their way through the legislative process

http://www.ilga.gov/
Ooh nice. Thanks for this!

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:08 PM

R u guys referring to HB0094? If so, that bill did pass both senate and house. But it only applies to inmates who caught their cases prior to June 1998 AND are under the 50% law. Meaning they only have to serve half the sentence given. Those with 85%, Natural Life and those convicted of sex abuse/molesters do not qualify.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOVANDO View Post
R u guys referring to HB0094? If so, that bill did pass both senate and house. But it only applies to inmates who caught their cases prior to June 1998 AND are under the 50% law. Meaning they only have to serve half the sentence given. Those with 85%, Natural Life and those convicted of sex abuse/molesters do not qualify.
No different proposal. Idk the bill # I’ll look into it later and find it.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM

In the beginning of the year, lots of inmates were going home early based on a law from the previous year.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:05 PM

The truth in sentencing inmates (including my son serving an 85% sentence from 2013) are not going to receive any reductions in their time.

The law that was mentioned above only applies to those incarcerated >20 years ago.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Hi there! Look up Illinois House Bill 1053. It basically says that for an inmate who is working or going to school, they may be ELIGIBLE to receive some credits. For working inmates, they MAY receive UP TO 180 days per YEAR for 360 hours of work. Inmates going to school may receive up to 6 months credit. There will be no retro on this, only on current time served once law comes into effect.

So, yes, it may take the actual 85% down a bit. Once it becomes law, it will be at the Prisons discretion, and with certain requirements I'm sure, to even be eligible. Things like behavior, infractions, conduct, work ethic, security status, nature of crime possibly, all come into play. My LO is also serving an 85% sentence, so this would be extremely helpful for us as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to swtladybear For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I've found an article from Jan 2018 on HB 1053: It passed the House and was sent to the Senate:
Quote:
House passes bill to allow early release for working inmates

A panel in the House of Representatives has endorsed a measure that would grant earlier release to inmates who hold a job in prison or complete self-improvement programs...

...The amended bill offers more time be taken off of an inmate’s sentence – up to 180 days a year – for the completion of 360 hours of satisfactory work. It also offers up to 90 days off a sentence for completing programs such as GED classes.
https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/2018/01/24/house-passes-bill-allow-early-release-working-inmates/1062191001/

The last sentence in the article goes like this:
The bill would still need to pass through the Senate and be signed into law by the Governor.

If/when someone has time, would you please follow its progress from there (see the Legislature website in a previous post)? Amendments? Passed by the Senate? Signed by Governor? Thanks!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM

I looked up this bill on the Illinois General Assembly website and there’s no info.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOVANDO For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I've just spent a good hour looking for it....can't find it either I'll look again when I get a chance, but right now its getting late

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I've just spent a good hour looking for it....can't find it either I'll look again when I get a chance, but right now its getting late
I could be wrong, but I think the bill and link provided are referring to a bill in South Dakota. I don't know of anything current in Illinois that will change Truth in Sentencing.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the bill and link provided are referring to a bill in South Dakota. I don't know of anything current in Illinois that will change Truth in Sentencing.
https://legiscan.com/IL/text/SB2054/2019

I’m looking around for more deets.

The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

So, it looks like it has not passed and that maybe it won't This would be a good time to call your representatives and tell them that you'd like to see SB2054 passed

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-17-2019)