Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Default Has anyone been able to get a special visit of a sex offender

My son has been in prison for three years as a sex offender. He's not getting out no time soon. His children are fourteen and sixteen. We have guardianship of his children. We have taken them to visit him twice, always as a no contact visit. We travel two hundred and fifty miles to visit him so we do get to visit him two hours each Sat. and Sunday. My son has been in no trouble and is always called on to help prepare lunches when the prison is on lock down. He is in the God Pod unit and works in maintenance all over the prison. Has anyone in this situation requested and succeeded in getting a contact visit by writing to the warden for a special visit such as a contact visit. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 AM

The distance should qualify you for special visits. Visits are four hours Saturday and slso four hours Sunday. I'm not sure about the no contact, have you called the unit to ask them? You could also call Huntsville classification and ask them. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,061 Times in 1,280 Posts

I've had special visits in the past. You have to set it up through the wardens office, I think. My Mom handled it during that time....God rest her soul. Four hours is a long time to talk to someone through the glass at a general visit though, and by the end of the 2nd day it's almost a relief to be finished with it. Glass visits like that are hard on everyone involved. Still....its hard to pass up, I know. He probably can't have contact visits with the kids because of his charge...maybe not, but you need check on it to be sure.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma1951 View Post
My son has been in prison for three years as a sex offender. He's not getting out no time soon. His children are fourteen and sixteen. We have guardianship of his children. We have taken them to visit him twice, always as a no contact visit. We travel two hundred and fifty miles to visit him so we do get to visit him two hours each Sat. and Sunday. My son has been in no trouble and is always called on to help prepare lunches when the prison is on lock down. He is in the God Pod unit and works in maintenance all over the prison. Has anyone in this situation requested and succeeded in getting a contact visit by writing to the warden for a special visit such as a contact visit. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Hi. You need to find out the policy and procedure for allowing a "contact" visit. They may require you to get a letter from a mental health therapist stating the importance of a contact visit with their Dad. It is always up to the warden anyway.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the response. I called his prison and was told I would have to talked to the warden. I left my number and the next day the assistant warden called me back. He wouldn't budge. I read the rules in the prison handbook page 4 of special visits. He told me I would have to talk to the warden. So I asked to talk to him and of course he wasn't in. I left my number again and the assistant said he would pass it on. I told the assistant warden if I didn't hear from the warden in a couple of days I would call back. He wished be a good day and we hung up. Tomorrow will be the day I will call him back. My son told me he has seen others with the same charge get contact visits. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Billy's Sweetheart

My fiancé and I was able to get approval for contact visits through the UCC board. He could put in a request to them and have it reviewed. We now have permanent contact visits approved as I am the only one that does visit. Now with his charge and it being children I'm not sure how that would play out, but it may be worth a try. When I did contact the warden's office on our behalf I was told that the UCC board was the one that would handle that process and he was the one that had to initiate it.