Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,901 Times in 8,400 Posts
Default Cenikor, exposing rehab on American Reveal

"In 1960s California, a cult leader mesmerized America by claiming to have discovered the cure for heroin addiction. His rehab ran on punishment and profits, putting participants to work and generating millions from their free labor. A new system of rehab was born. Over the decades, the model would be hailed by an American president and endorsed by judges across the country. Today, these rehabs are flourishing by turning people desperate for treatment into an unpaid labor force. As the opioid epidemic rages on, Reveal uncovers tens of thousands of people each year trapped in the gears of this rehab machine.

In this episode, Penny Rawlings is relieved to finally get her brother into rehab at a place called Cenikor. She doesn’t realize that getting him out of treatment is going to be the bigger problem."

Listened to this series on mega-rehab Cenikor during a road trip. Like uncovering for-profit prison tactics, this was a real eye-opener. Read/listen more here:
American Rehab: Reveal exposes how a treatment for drug addiction has turned tens of thousands of people into an unpaid, shadow workforce.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Jacob's Girl (08-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2020, 08:19 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,898 Times in 16,444 Posts

wow. My best friend growing up had a sister who was involved with Synanon.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-09-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,382 Posts

I’ve been listening to this since you posted it. It’s so good!

I will preface this by saying that Cenikor saved my husbands life.

But even knowing nothing about the rehab, the idea of the long-term program rubbed me the wrong way from day one. He expected to go in for 30 days and suddenly we hear they want him to go for 2 years. Of course they want him to work (which I understand) but they want to take most his paycheck and force him to put the rest in a bank account that he can’t touch. It made me super uncomfortable.

But my truly sketchy vibes came from the staff. All the staff seemed to have been patients there in the past. It was like they were capitalizing on the fact that addicts often have a hard time finding work, so they turn them into a workforce for Cenikor and get by paying them minimum wage. And who brings in the drugs? The staff, of course.

I guess for my husband, he’s used to prison. Food was awful, had to manipulate to make phone calls, crooked staff, slave labor....nothing new to him. But then again, that was just the 30 day program. I can see how it would be a completely different dynamic in the long-term program and after listening to this, I’m so glad I was to event and there was no way in hell he was going to stay there.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,901 Times in 8,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
But my truly sketchy vibes came from the staff. All the staff seemed to have been patients there in the past. It was like they were capitalizing on the fact that addicts often have a hard time finding work, so they turn them into a workforce for Cenikor and get by paying them minimum wage. And who brings in the drugs? The staff, of course.
This is exactly how I would describe the transitional housing situation in California. It's the complete opposite of what one would think.

I'm glad hubs was short time at Cenikor and that he benefitted. Listening to this just reaffirmed how deeply invested our nation is in profiting from incarceration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-24-2020), WeepingWillow (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Yep. That’s honestly all I kept thinking - it sounds just like prison.

Of course Houston is a perfect place to start a slave labor corporation. We have been thriving from an unpaid inmate slave labor force forever.

They did try to “restart” his time there at the end. He was planning on going to a sober living house in the area after he graduated. One of the staff members lived there and wasn’t a big fan of my husband. Husband was accepted to the house, and then his spot was rescinded - turns out the staff member went to the president of the house and gave him a bunch of HIPAA info on my husband. He was written up and fired.

Maybe a week later, they went on a field trip to a park with a lake. Hubs asked if they could jump off the bridge into the lake. Staff member said yes, left the van keys, and went off somewhere. They swam, no problem. A couple days later he got called into the office and was told he disobeyed the staff member and led everyone to do the same by swimming and was being extended by another 30 days or needed to go to the residential program long term. The staff member said “That’s what you get for getting so and so fired.”

His counselor called me and we literally had to figure out how important getting that certificate was vs him living in another place with a toxic power differential that was apparently going to try to hold him or his ability to graduate hostage. He didn’t want to leave on his own, because he was proud of going and staying. He ended up leaving.

The counselor was really what helped him. She continued to help after he left. She’s gone now. After listening to the podcast, I can only imagine the crap she was putting up with.

And after hearing the amount of money they make, there’s no excuse for the patients always being hungry, not receiving proper treatment, and the really poor condition the entire place is in. Such a racket. Genius, but disgusting.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Cenikor, exposing rehab on American Reveal

I would honestly love to see how much the state of Texas is making/saving off of labor vs the actual costs of housing the inmates. They say they “pay” them in work time off their sentence, but if parole denies you, you’re just out of all that time. Sounds like California isn’t much different.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 08-24-2020 at 03:07 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-24-2020)