Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Default Az DOC to pay $1.4Mil!

Judge orders AZ Dept. of Corrections to pay 1.4M in fines

A federal judge is ordering the Arizona Department of Corrections to pay more than 1.4 million dollars in fines for failing to adequately provide healthcare to prison inmates. Governor Doug Ducey says ten people have been hired to evaluate how health care is being handled at the prison system.

In 2014, the department agreed to comply with more than 100 different performance measures, many related to health care as part of a settlement in the case of Parsons v. Ryan. It mandated that prison officials had to provide adequate health care to inmates in all the Arizona state prisons.

The ADC has failed to comply, according to Corene Kendrick, attorney at Prison Law Office.

Read entire article below:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...y-14m-in-fines

I dunno if any of you guys saw this!

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 06-24-2018 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,187 Times in 6,891 Posts

The fed intervention may be a good thing, it had to happen in California, as well. But fining them only works if it hits the top tier where it hurts and the fine is paid out of paychecks. Something tells me this money won't come out of their personal coffers.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanked 11,057 Times in 5,990 Posts

The amount paid will likely be nowhere near that amount if our experience under Ruiz was a learning experience...

Further, such fines never come from the employees. They come from the taxpayers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
AndyS (06-24-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (06-25-2018), miamac (06-24-2018), Sarianna (06-25-2018), Shelby67 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,187 Times in 6,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
The amount paid will likely be nowhere near that amount if our experience under Ruiz was a learning experience...

Further, such fines never come from the employees. They come from the taxpayers.
Exactly.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,742 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are happy about this. It may mean better care for our inmates, but even that's a long shot. All it means is more of our money going to the prison system...but not to the rehabilitation of inmates.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM

Im just happy that at least the courts agree that they need better care. If only it would be acted upon and taken seriously & not on our dime. I dont understand why AZ is behind pretty much every other state in every aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are happy about this. It may mean better care for our inmates, but even that's a long shot. All it means is more of our money going to the prison system...but not to the rehabilitation of inmates.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,742 Posts

I wouldn't say they are behind pretty much anywhere. Most state prisons have horrible medical care...across the board. Some are better and some are worse. But they all suck. Prisons pay millions in fines all the time. I've heard numerous people in admin say it's easier to pay the money than fix the problems.

And when IHP hits the peak there will be even more problems and more fines for failing to comply.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Oh damn. I guess its true dont believe everything what you read on internet
Quote:
I wouldn't say they are behind pretty much anywhere. Most state prisons have horrible medical care...across the board. Some are better and some are worse. But they all suck. Prisons pay millions in fines all the time. I've heard numerous people in admin say it's easier to pay the money than fix the problems.

And when IHP hits the peak there will be even more problems and more fines for failing to comply.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely correct!! I'm an RN and know several nurses that could not give "proper basic nursing care" when working within the ADOC. They didn't last long due to their ethical beliefs and their duty to patients being ignored. One friend of mine was even reprimanded for doing her job to well!!! The health care system is not going to change due to this fine, they don't care about the money. That amount is a drop in the bucket compared to the profit they make everyday at the expense of our loved ones health. This issue just happened to "make the news" they pay fines, are sued and the public is just not informed.

Don't even get me started on rehabilitation!! What a joke... they want to keep the prisons full, bottom line!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee4life For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-25-2018), Hurley123 (06-25-2018), Sarianna (06-25-2018)