Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:15 PM

Exclamation Can I go to prison?

Hello everyone, I am new on here and am very glad to have found this site. I have a question for some who might have knowledge on a certain charge. First off I want to begin by saying that I do have a juvenile record from California with multiple felonies including assault w/ deadly weapon, gang enhancement, assault w/ GBI and more. However it has been about 15 years since I have been in trouble. I recently got arrested for disorder my conduct and assault IV felony. I am going to trial cause I believe I might have a chance to fight it. My lawyer said it isn't looking good though. My question is can I go to prison if I lose at trial considering the crime and my juvenile record? Anything will help. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2020, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,488 Times in 3,237 Posts

Talk to your lawyer and only your lawyer.

This is the world wide web. Anyone can read posts here.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,462 Times in 17,280 Posts

Even though its been 15 years since the juvie trouble in Cali, when a Judge requests a criminal history, as I understand it, any juvenile charges are included. Will they hold yours against you? Can't answer that other than maybe, maybe not I'm not familiar with Oregon's sentencing structure, is IV Felony just a step above a misdemeanor? Has the DA made any offers to drop the disorderly and/or reduce the IV Assault?

Every situation is different. Without a crystal ball, there's no way to predict how your case will turn out. However, your attorney is well aware of the atmosphere in the Judge's courtroom. Be honest with your attorney, ask questions of him/her, weigh your options. Its ultimately your decision on how to proceed...and your time to serve if that's what it comes down to.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get a plea that includes probation / no jail or prison time. Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-14-2020, 09:18 PM
Until the end

Assault 4 in Oregon is a misdemeanor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Visitor611 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 11:08 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,335 Times in 7,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor611 View Post
Assault 4 in Oregon is a misdemeanor.
A misdemeanor generally can result in a jail sentence of a year. Note, some states have 2 year sentences for some misdemeanors, and those states send those folk to state prison for those sentences.

Will you specifically have to serve time? Dunno. There are too many factors to get into, however a crime of violence, even just a misdemeanor, is more likely generally to result in doing time.

If you do not want to do time, you need to listen to your attorney and do everything in your power to mitigate the damage you have done and demonstrate to the court that you are a better bet in public than jail or prison.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-15-2020), GingerM (11-15-2020), maytayah (11-15-2020), patchouli (11-14-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,792 Times in 3,806 Posts

Taking it to trial will force the DA's hand. s/he will throw everything s/he can at you and try to get the longest sentence possible.

Your job is to listen to your lawyer. S/he will know the judge and the DA and what the judge is most likely to do. If your lawyer is telling you to not take it to trial, I would listen. A plea deal that send you to county for 14 months is better than a prison sentence of 5 years. The real question is: how much of your life do you want to spend behind bars? Start from there and talk to your lawyer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-15-2020), patchouli (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,792 Times in 3,806 Posts

Also: sentences under 2 years in length are generally served in county jail, not state prison. A sentence longer than 2 years is generally served in state prison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-15-2020), patchouli (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Taking it to trial will force the DA's hand. s/he will throw everything s/he can at you and try to get the longest sentence possible.

Your job is to listen to your lawyer. S/he will know the judge and the DA and what the judge is most likely to do. If your lawyer is telling you to not take it to trial, I would listen. A plea deal that send you to county for 14 months is better than a prison sentence of 5 years. The real question is: how much of your life do you want to spend behind bars? Start from there and talk to your lawyer.
This is very true. My guy was offered a plea for manslaughter (10 year sentence) and chose to go to trial out of the belief that he had acted in self-defense and the jury would understand that. He is doing life without the possibility of parole.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaeLR For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-15-2020), GingerM (11-16-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Until the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
A misdemeanor generally can result in a jail sentence of a year. Note, some states have 2 year sentences for some misdemeanors, and those states send those folk to state prison for those sentences.

Will you specifically have to serve time? Dunno. There are too many factors to get into, however a crime of violence, even just a misdemeanor, is more likely generally to result in doing time.

If you do not want to do time, you need to listen to your attorney and do everything in your power to mitigate the damage you have done and demonstrate to the court that you are a better bet in public than jail or prison.
be glad its not a Measure 11 assault felony. Wouldn't matter what the attorney or judge thought or said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Visitor611 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-16-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,123 Times in 13,832 Posts

Sentences served in California jails (rather than in prison) can earn day for day good time too. Listen to your lawyer.