Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

Thanked 10,745 Times in 5,807 Posts
Default Oct is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month

And I wanted to bring it to your attention !

In the past I have talked about my personal experiences with a baby with down syndrome so this year I thought I would share some simple facts. I know not everyone cares .. but it may be nice to learn something new about someone you see but don't know much about out in the public !

Down syndrome is a genetic condition that causes delays in physical and intellectual development. It occurs in one in every 691 live births. Individuals with Down syndrome have 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46. It is the most frequently occurring chromosomal disorder. Down syndrome is not related to race, nationality, religion or socioeconomic status. The most important fact to know about individuals with Down syndrome is that they are more like others than they are different.

I will post more facts as I find decent websites ...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,541 Times in 2,248 Posts

Thank you for informing us! I was not aware that Oct. is DS awareness month. I learned something today. I'm interested in reading more facts.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,602 Times in 5,648 Posts

Thanks sweetie...I didnt know it was either!
The Following User Says Thank You to SpicaRigel For This Useful Post:
ALA (10-07-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Very interesting. I have a cousin with Down Syndrome and I don't see him very often but did get to spend some time with him a few days ago. He's such a sweet person. Thanks for raising awareness!
The Following User Says Thank You to firedancer For This Useful Post:
ALA (10-07-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 15,301 Times in 3,764 Posts

Awesome share!

I'll be honest, when I went to Jr high school, the city I live in had decided to test a few schools with integrated special needs classes. I remember being uncomfortable at first because I didn't know how to act around the kids - Did they understand me? How was I supposed to act, etc. Stupid kid stuff. I also remember some of the troublemakers were horrible towards these kids...

My parents had been involved with a service club that's primary focus was children and young adults with DS. When I told them how the other kids had been so mean, they started to take me out to events. A skating club and a swim team with kids that had DS in varying degrees. It was such an eye opener. I remember a couple of boys who were fairly severe (I think so anyway) and even thought they were largely non-verbal, would get their skates put on every week, hold the hands of the volunteers and skate around the rink with the biggest grins ever I don't know if anyone has a bigger heart than the young people I met back then. They are almost angelic... like cherubs

I'm still involved in the same organization. Some of those kids are now my age and still involved in the programs. It continues to be an amazing experience!
ALA (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Thanks for sharing that Tee !! Honestly, (I'll keep this brief ) when I was pregnant with my baby I was off work the last month or so. Once in awhile my mom would take me to the mall to get something for him or get out of the house. I ran into some adults with DS each time we went ... I was the same way (as an adult but I have similar memories of school years too) slightly uncomfortable and unsure of what to think or say or how to act. I wanted to be friendly but would it be to obvious, etc. I feel in a way like I was being prepared for the moment when everyone circled my bed at the hospital to tell me they thought he had DS....and hey, it's a great thing to be prepared for. You are right .. they are such a joy to be around and watching them get joy out of things we take for granted ... it's a real eye opener and changes my perspective on alot of things !
Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

And a tidbit for today :

For those of you who are history buffs, and just have to know... John Langdon Down, an English physician, was the first to recognize the cluster of traits common in people with what is now known as Down Syndrome. He published his findings in 1866.

In 1959 Dr. Jeremy Lejeune discovered the fact that all people with this syndrome had an extra 21st chromosome.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 AM

I didn't know it was either, I'd like to learn more facts too

Is that your son in your sig? He is gorgeous
The Following User Says Thank You to husky_pup For This Useful Post:
ALA (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

Yes that's my lil monster .. here's on of my recent faves of him

Last edited by ALA; 08-08-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Old 10-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Thanked 2,403 Times in 956 Posts

Thanks for sharing!! I didn't know that and I have an 11 year old son with DS. Wait until I tell him, he will be all smiles!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Erics4ever For This Useful Post:
ALA (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Ohhh yay !!! Erics you can share info/facts/personal experiences too ! My guy is 4 so I would love to hear some "older" kid stuff !
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Thanked 1,054 Times in 387 Posts

He's gorgeous! I have a beautiful DS baby boy as well. I say "baby" but he's now 4. He's much, much more delayed than your little guy appears but we are taking little steps to catch up. We were not prepared for a DS baby either even after all the blood tests and 3 ultra sounds. He wanted to save it for a surprise. Everyday he's in my life I'm more blessed than the day before.

I appreciate the information you are sharing and hope you continue. Many misconceptions still exist. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hugaboom For This Useful Post:
ALA (10-08-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Banned

Hugaboom I had the same experience, multiple ultrasounds, blood tests all came back negative. And then knowing how they can be false negative or false positive I can't believe doctors are still encouraging women to get abortions. But it is what it is ... You comment on everyday he's in my life I'm more blessed than the day before is more true than I could ever put into words and I'm stearling it !!!

I will post more facts as the month goes on, if you have anything you want to post or share please do, I can learn from this post too !
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Banned

People with Down syndrome have an increased risk for certain medical conditions such as congenital heart defects, respiratory and hearing problems, Alzheimer's disease, childhood leukemia, and thyroid conditions. Many of these conditions are now treatable, so most people with Down syndrome lead healthy lives.

A few of the common physical traits of Down syndrome are low muscle tone, small stature, an upward slant to the eyes, and a single deep crease across the center of the palm. Every person with Down syndrome is a unique individual and may possess these characteristics to different degrees or not at all.

Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased dramatically in recent decades - from 25 in 1983 to 60 today.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1AndOnly View Post
Ohhh yay !!! Erics you can share info/facts/personal experiences too ! My guy is 4 so I would love to hear some "older" kid stuff !

Be glad to! It has definitely been a learning experience especially since I was 25 when I had him and the dr's said that it was unusual for someone my age to have a child with DS.

I am blessed because he does not have congenital heart defects, respiratory and hearing problems, childhood leukemia, and thyroid conditions. He was a preemie since I got sick and had to have an emergency c-section. But you would never know it now, he is 110lbs and almost my height which is 5' 2"!

Last edited by Erics4ever; 10-11-2011 at 06:33 PM..
ALA (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 15,301 Times in 3,764 Posts

This isn't a useful fact but I thought it was a cute story. One of the young women on our skating team is very high functioning (I'm sorry if I'm using a term that is offensive) - She likes to help out at events and I had asked her once to go and ask one of the recreation centre staff for garbage bags. You may have noticed that sometimes when people speak to folks that are delayed that they tend to speak loudly, as though the louder they speak, the better the person can comprehend. Well, I heard the rec centre girl speaking loudly to the young woman and when she came over with the garbage bags she said "That girl needs to see the dr, I think she might be going deaf". I thought that was so cute
ALA (10-11-2011), Erics4ever (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

Tee that had me crackin up !!!! Love it

Erics .. yeah I was 26 when I had my son too, I have been reading and even though the risk increases over 35 apparently over 80% are born to women under 35. Go figure. LOL I was lucky to to have none of the health related issues ... he does need tubes and speech is his biggest delay. But he's feisty and gets his point across.

110 lbs and 5'2 !!! I hope he's not the aggressive kind !! That could be hard to handle
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1AndOnly View Post
Tee that had me crackin up !!!! Love it

Erics .. yeah I was 26 when I had my son too, I have been reading and even though the risk increases over 35 apparently over 80% are born to women under 35. Go figure. LOL I was lucky to to have none of the health related issues ... he does need tubes and speech is his biggest delay. But he's feisty and gets his point across.

110 lbs and 5'2 !!! I hope he's not the aggressive kind !! That could be hard to handle

LOL!! He is hard to handle when it comes to taking medicine! He HATES it!!! Other than that, he's actually a gentle giant lol! You know how kids can be, and one at church would pick on him because he couldn't understand his speech, and he would always take his pencils (my son LOVES to draw) my son would not do anything since the little boy was smaller than him (I think he knows he is strong and could actually hurt a child) my 8 year old had to stand up to the little boy!! He is always looking out for his big brother!

Just don't ask him to share his chicken, his favorite food, or try and talk to him while he is eating!! He will tune you out, give you a look like you have lost your mind and act like you don't even exist!!

Last edited by Erics4ever; 10-11-2011 at 06:43 PM..
Hugaboom (10-17-2011)