Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 07-25-2006, 06:05 AM

Default My Son is at Holmes

Hi All....

The Florida prison website was updated and my son is at Holmes. He's only 100 miles from us. woo hoo!! I was wondering if any of you have loved ones at Holmes. If so, can you tell me a little about it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Jeremys Wife

I dont have anyone at Holmes but congradulations on him being so close. My husband is at Calhoun which is 350 miles away from me. He will be home in Nov so I will see him everyday after that so Im hoping Nov hurrys up and gets here.

Angel and Jaydon Nicolodi

Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Thats great news. It's so great when they are closer. I'm so very happy for you!! :fb:

Tom'shoney her husband just got transfered out of Holmes. She did go and visit there and should beable to tell you about it.

God Bless,
~SPIKESWIFE~

Last edited by JWSPMS; 07-25-2006 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-25-2006, 11:36 AM

Tom's Honey...if you see this post...here are a few questions I'd like to ask if you have the time:

I see that Holmes is a work camp, but it also has educational and vocational programs. Let's say my son wanted to take an educational/vocational class would he be REQUIRED to work? Can they choose? Or can they do both at the same time?

Do you know what type of work camp this is?

Also, how are the visitations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
J's Girl

My man is in the work camp side. He started out at the C.I. side then after a week was transfered to the work camp. I never visited him at the C.I. part so I don't know anything about that side.

However, the work camp is ok. It's much smaller. The guys there do all kinds of jobs including groundskeeper, general dorm workhand, cook, bakery etc etc. They have all dorms on that side (no close mgmt cells). I see from your other post that he was classed minimum. J says they do have some guys that work in the community so with minimum your guy could eventually get that kind of work.
J is classed medium and is in dorm with like 90 guys. He started out working as a general workhand for the dorms, cleaning etc. But for 2 months now has been working in the bakery.
Visitiation at the work camp side is 'pretty relaxed' as far as how the guards treat us. etc.

Like I said, I don't know anything about the C.I. side though.. If you guy stays at Holmes C.I.
you'll have to get with TomsHoney like stated by others, however, if he moves to the Holmes Work Camp.. let me know...

http://poolplyr.tripod.com/j-rel.html

Last edited by Donna>; 07-25-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks Donna!! My son told me in his mail that he could work in 6 months. According to you, it could be sooner. Nice to hear that the work camp is relaxed on visitation and that there are many jobs to choose from. I thought he was going to work in forestry or something. Thanks for answering.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:39 PM
J's Girl

I think they mean he could work outside in 6 months. They'll give him a job on the inside like those I mentioned beforehand.. if it's anything like what J did....

Keep me posted...

Old 07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
missing you and holdin on

my friend is in holmes co c.i. and its alright. the guards are the same as everywhere but majority are pretty nice. you can get food for inmates in the canteen not many vending machines. there is a very nice outside area to visit as well as inside. your first visit try and get there very early cuz it will take a while to check in and all. he will send you a viso request sheet from holmes. they do have a lot of programs my friend is the boss in the library. any more questions let me know
marie

MY LIFE WILL REBEGIN AUGUST 9TH, 2009
Old 07-27-2006, 06:51 AM

Thank you Marie! What time do visitations start and what time do you think I should be there?

Last edited by bayside2006; 07-27-2006 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
J's Girl

Visits start at 8:00 am CT at both the CI and WC.
On the WC side, I arrive right at 8 and am usually 1st or 2nd in line and get in quick.
On the CI side you have to arrive earlier to 'get in line' because there are more inmates so of course more visitors. The one time I visited J there ,
I arrived at 7:30 and was about 4th.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:23 AM

Thanks Donna...that's good to know. I will probably be approved for visitation before I even get my first phone call. LOL This phone thing is giving me grief. I have a feeling I will see him in at least 2 weeks.

I called MCI yesterday...I was on hold for 45 minutes. ...they told me that my son doesn't have us on his phone list. I was like, "yeah right". So, I called back and got another woman. She said that he probably turned it in, but it still hasn't been approved at the facility. Argh! They even saw in their system that he tried to call.

For the new people...you can check to see if you are approved or if they tried to call...this is the number you need to call:

MCI's Florida Dept of Corrections Number - 1-800-231-0193