Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM
I only enforce policy!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosdawg View Post
This is not summer camp, these people who work in prisons are most likely very unemployable, they, in most cases despise their job, and its their mission to make every convicts and inmates life just as miserable as theirs is.

I for one do not despise my job, I have been doing it now for ten years...I have a college education but lets face it, when I retire SS may not be there, the state does offer a great retirement plan.

I also know that there are other CO's that work at the same facility I work at that feel the same. We do our 8 and hit the gate......I give as much respect as I get, that goes for CO's, Offenders, and the general public!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I Love My Dad!

Here is an excerpt from my dad's letters regarding the lockdown:
I won't jeopardize my contact visits, so I keep my mouth shut and bear the abuse.
It's day 13 and we are still locked down. It's insane and it feels illegal. I think we have the right balanced meals, daily showers, clean clothes, clean sheets, access to medical care (which I don't need, but many do). The rules also require one hour daily exercise. In 13 days we have had a few showers and 3 hot meals and that's it.

I usually fully support anything that TDCJ does. We are fu*k-ups, we broke the law and we weren't sent to Disneyland. I feel I deserve to be in here. I am not boo-hoo feeling sorry for poor ole me. I respect most of the COs and appreciate their work. For the most part, I am well-taken care of. But this borders on cruel and unusual punishment. I have it so much better than most. I still have coffee and a little food and plenty of books to wile away the time. Plus I have no cellie. Day after day, fights are breaking out in these cramped cells between irate and poorly matched cellies. It reminds me of dogs fighting in a cage and nobody cares.

Day 9 I went to the gym for my shakedown. What happened blew me away. Our COs weren't there. They had field bosses (100% a-holes. they hate everybody) in there. They tore my stuff all to hell. Found no contraband, but they took my coffee pot because I'd broken the base and had it glued in two places. Now according to them, the pot was altered so it could be taken. They destroyed a picture album because they said it looked like I was trying to hide something between the pictures and backing. (Yeah, like a cell phone or a machine gun!) It took two days to get my manuscripts back in sequence. They literally dumped all the paperwork into a bag. They took my vitamins because I had multi-vitamins mixed with vitamin E all in the same jar. That's considered altered storage of commissary items.) They broke my lightbulb for my nightlight. They also managed to spill a bottle of shampoo into the bag I had food in. They also left the top off the toothpaste and that made a nice mess, too. After the shakedown in the gym, they made us wait in the cold, in our boxers, nothing else to return to our cells for well over an hour and a half. I'm still sore as hell from toting so much weight*

*My dad is 61 and has been classified by the VA as 60% disabled.

I am curious to hear how everyone else's loved ones are doing. I don't know the laws, but it seems that these inconveniences are probably legal. Does anyone know how to check it out?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 AM
I only enforce policy!

Post This may help

The following was taken directly from the Inmate Orientation handbook. I hope this helps someone understand....

Possession includes having an item on the body of an offender, among his belongings or in his cell or immediate living area, no matter who owns the item.
Contraband is:
a.
Any item not allowed when the offender came to the TDCJ, not given or assigned to an offender by the TDCJ, and not bought by an offender for his use from the commissary
b.
Any item altered from its original condition
c.
Any item which, in the judgment of TDCJ personnel, unreasonably hinders the safe and effective operation of the facility
d.
Items in excess of the amounts authorized or stored in an unauthorized manner
e.
Any item received or sent through the mail that is not approved in accordance with the TDCJ Correspondence Rules
f.
Anything an offender is not supposed to have: such as, but not limited to: 1) Money 2) Items used for gambling, such as dice and
playing cards
3) Books, magazines or newspapers that are not
approved
4) Clothes that are not approved
5) Handcuffs or other items used for restraining
offenders, including keys 6) Tobacco or tobacco related items.
g. Any item used to violate a TDCJ rule.
3. Any contraband found on TDCJ property may be taken and disposed of according to procedures set forth by the TDCJ and the State of Texas.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:51 PM

chelle maybe he is getting out they freze accounts when they are getting released
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM

I was just released from prison after serving 14 years, and the most that they can give for commissary at one time is 90 days. Now, if they continue to mess up, they can add more days after receiving a case. But it will never go over 90 days. But in all actuality it could last the entire time that he is there.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM
ccnrly
Donation Award 

Welcome home - beenthere12 - I wish you all the luck possible.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:28 PM

After myself spending the best part of 4 years in the Dalhart Unit and going through quite a few "shakedowns" / "lockdowns". I can easliy re-live what these guys go trough. Granted, a few things have changed since 2000. I was lucky enough to have a trustee job that had me all alone for 8 hourse at a time. These guys get use to the routine, knowing that there isn't anything they can do but endure. Having special people in the free world is what keps their thoughts and hopes in check.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
thomas+christina=truelove

Default humiliation

i cannot even begin to imagine how he must fell i only hope when he gets out he can leave it behind him..........
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 AM
I♥my hubby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisesgurl76 View Post
It kills me inside to know what my baby has to go through in there I hope he will get out soon, I am so afraid that something is going to happen to him I pray for him day and night
This is what I feel as well.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw_dallas View Post
Wow you make it sound so nice--of course that is coming from a boss' perspective. I was on Middleton through a shakedown then on Sanchez for 4 shakedowns, and at Mineral Wells (CCA Facility) for one shakedown--NEVER NEVER NEVER did I get a shower every 24 hours--at best we were given one every other day. At Sanchez it was every 72 hours--the same day they came for necessitites (clothing exchange). Johnny sacks--yeah they suck! Breakfast comes around 4 am with a hard boiled egg and a pack of dry cereal. Lunch you get a PB&J with about a table spoon worth of mixed up PB&J in the center of two hard pieces of bread and a burrito. dinner time--two burritos. Fortunately, the dorm I lived in was the maintenance workers dorm, so they the plumber rerouted the hot water pot controls so they couldn't be controled from the picket--we had hot water during our lockdowns--that was the only thing that got us through sometimes.

When lockdown was called, we were all stripped at our work sites (yes the usual strip search--take everything off, spread fingers, open mouth, lift nut sac, spread cheeks, lift feet, etc--yes humilitating at first, but when you get stripped three times a day, you get very used to it very quick--hope you weren't a modest person before, because after TDCJ gets through with you, you might as well be an exhibionist (cant spell that word--hope you get the gist). then you get marched back to your dorm and scramble to get rid of all of your contraband--empty water bottle from commissary is contraband and will be trashed by the guards. then the dreaded wait time--you can only hope that you are one of the last dorms--usually the co's are so tired of doing the shakedowns by that time that they rush through your property and the dorm and it goes much quicker that way, plus you can maybe fare out with more of your property at that point. and everything that was posted earlier about dragging your property to whereever--well that is different on every unit. At Sanchez--all you have to do is go to the rec yard behind your assigned building.

from an ex-offender's point of view, some of the guards are cool--they understand that they are there for a job and that job is to ensure the "safety" of the inmates--other CO's take their job too seriously--as if they think they are an officer of the court there to ensure a continued punishment--they do this by their demeaning talk--treating us like dogs instead of human beings. Yes we are in prison, but we are still human beings and you F**** A**** CO's with an attitude need to remember that. (stepping off soapbox right now )

Okay I really went off, I will end this now
I agree with JRW Dallas . I spent 5 calendar years in TDCJ and lockdowns are NOT like what the CO described. Your property is rifled through and things are randomly thrown out, whether it is truly contraband or not, the "bosses" make up their own rules as they go along. Oh, you can argue your case, but you will not win. It takes months of a grievance process to MAYBE win, but even by then your property has been thrown away. True that SOME CO's are decent people and try to treat inmates with as much respect as they can, but MANY do not. In my 5 years I found that mostly the black female CO's seemed to have a chip on their shoulder and were the most arbitrary in their enforcement of rules (I am white) . I went through many full shakedowns, mostly on the Ramsey Units and Mineral Wells. CO's regularly violate SOP (standard operating procedures) and your only recourse is to file a grievance, a process which takes months and is usually fruitless, as the grievance officers will dismiss grievances for things like inmate misspelling words, or other petty reasons.
When you return to your cellblock or dorm, your property is strewn about, anything left behind (commissary cups etc) will have been smashed or otherwise destroyed, I have personally witnessed CO's putting inmate's bedding sheets/blankets INSIDE toilets for laughs, and generally disrespecting inmates for kicks . Numerous times I have told officers that one day they will do something like that to someone with a life sentence and the CO will get their ass handed to them on a mop handle .
The best advice is to stay out of prison .
Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas CO View Post
The following was taken directly from the Inmate Orientation handbook. I hope this helps someone understand....

Possession includes having an item on the body of an offender, among his belongings or in his cell or immediate living area, no matter who owns the item.
Contraband is:
a.
Any item not allowed when the offender came to the TDCJ, not given or assigned to an offender by the TDCJ, and not bought by an offender for his use from the commissary
b.
Any item altered from its original condition
c.
Any item which, in the judgment of TDCJ personnel, unreasonably hinders the safe and effective operation of the facility
d.
Items in excess of the amounts authorized or stored in an unauthorized manner
e.
Any item received or sent through the mail that is not approved in accordance with the TDCJ Correspondence Rules
f.
Anything an offender is not supposed to have: such as, but not limited to: 1) Money 2) Items used for gambling, such as dice and
playing cards
3) Books, magazines or newspapers that are not
approved
4) Clothes that are not approved
5) Handcuffs or other items used for restraining
offenders, including keys 6) Tobacco or tobacco related items.
g. Any item used to violate a TDCJ rule.
3. Any contraband found on TDCJ property may be taken and disposed of according to procedures set forth by the TDCJ and the State of Texas.

Too bad many CO's don't follow these rules. Most CO's, since most TDCJ Units are located in tiny backwoods towns, are backward a** hicks with an IQ that is borderline retarded . There are a few good ones, but the bad ones far outweigh the good ones. TDCJ prints things like this so everything looks good on paper, but reality does NOT jibe with what is printed .
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Default I am new to this .. please help me understand

my husband is in tdcj (Garza East)
I know he is on lockdown because he wrote me 4 days ago and told me, but since then I haven't heard from him.. I am new to all this I feel alone so I search the internet and signed up for this hoping to get answers and a place where people understand what i am going through. Do know how to use this website and get connected to people?? help?
If you dont have information on this unit maybe you can just help with the website. I dont know if i should worry about him or jsut wait to hear from him?????

First off this morning just as we were finishing our work shift, we were corralled into one of our two dining rooms and very thouroughly strip searched plus body cavity searched. Well, that was certainly one of the most humilliating times so far here. We have two female bosses and they made no attempt to leave the room even though an additional 4 bosses (males) were brought in to help in the job. After this, sixty or so of us were led back to the dorms, counted again and told to stay on our bunks til further notice....

It's now 9am and we have been given our medication and are waiting for our meal. One of the advantages of lockdown is that guards here do almost all of our chores. Literally we are waited on hand and foot for the duration....

Well, from the looks of things we will go through major shakedown today or surely tomorrow. We can see people from the other end of our building carrying their property and walking to the gym.... so now we have 54 guys scrabbling about trying to get rid of any contraband they might have and make sure their name and # is on every last book, blank envelope, notepad, stamp and photo.....Then I began to pack my things into the middle of my blanket, then all of that into my other blanket and tied all four corners together....

Next we the very strenuous walk from the dorm to the gym. The reason it was difficult was simply because of the weight of my bundle. Mine wasnt the only heavy parcel either. A few of us have so much, mainly in books that there was just no easy way. And what makes the walk all the more difficult is that the bosses want us to pick up our bundles and continue holding them whether we were moving or standing still.....

In the middle of the gym there are six tables right in the middle lined across the room. Each table has two guards to search two inmates property. We are instructed to form a line in front of each table and one by one are called forward to disrobe to our boxer underwear and socks. We are called forward still and told to strip completely and set our bundle of property on the table. then we are told to step back, turn around, lift our nuts, spread our cheeks, show the bottoms of each foot. Then we must wait quiety while the bosses search our things.This is all quite uneventful except if you count the bosses randomly at times selecting items to throw away. And of course our emotions ranging from docile humility to subdued anger. Imagine your carefully packed files and photos being rifled through like so much rubbish. What we have is a sheet spread on the floor beside the table and a mound of disaray after the search is complete.... we are told to drag our sheet to the opposite wall and get dressed only. We are explicitly told not to straighten our mangled pile of property, we can only tie the corners together and rag or carry. We must sit indian style with our bundles in front and wait quietly (we are always being told to be quiet, shut up, get off the bumper). Being quite is difficult as we already have stories to share of what they took from whom....

The walk back to the dorm is even more unpleasant as our bundles are not nearly as well packed as before. The bosses are now getting grumpy after having already searched four previous dorms. We are told to keep walking and not stop for anything, including our packs coming apart and shifting in our loads. By the time we get back to the dorm, all the mattresses and pillows are all strewn about. So now we have to get our mats and pillows without resorting to violence. Amazingly we do this and within an hour we are an orderly organised 54 once more....

He also says the hot water has been turned off, so no coffee or soups during lockdown. Only one inmate at a time is allowed to use the bathroom. They have a 2 hour shower period between 9-11pm when they can also exchange laundry. Also, they are only provided with one roll of toilet paper every 12 hours between 54 guys ~ he says on a normal day when around 1/3 of the dorm is at work, they get through 4-6 rolls.[/quote]
Old 09-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Default I wish this would just be over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte98 View Post
This is what I feel as well.
i completly feel you!! as if him being away from his little girl and his wife and family arent enough
Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart77
i completly feel you!! as if him being away from his little girl and his wife and family arent enough
They are off lockdown now at Garza east.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCole35 View Post
OK, the truth behind the Shakedown...When a unit goes on lockdown, all inmates are told to rack up, meaning on their assigned bunk..The water to the dorm is turned off, prior to them knowing off the lockdown...I have never seen or heard of a cavity search being done on a lockdown, besides medical had to do those..On my unit we take the inmates, and all their belongings out onto a rec yard, they come to the table 1 at a time and there stuff is gone through, anything that is contraband is taken..The offender is then strip searched, givin his clothing back and sent to the other side of the yard to wait to be let back inside the dorm. A female officer can strip search a male if a male is present, also if there is no male officer available and depending on the reasaons...Most lockdowns last less than a week, the offenders are few 'Johnnies", which have pb$j, burrito, bologna sandwiches, sometimes crackers in them...they get a shower every 24hrs.....thats about it, any questions feel free to ask me, i have worked for TDCJ since 2001 and have been about 20 of these things..
The way it's described above is exactly how it was explained to me in the calls and letters I get. Mine is at Boyd. I showed up here to find out if Boyd was doing their shakedown as I got a call last week telling me it was imminent but he wasn't sure when and I haven't heard from him since. Usually when they're locked down or doing their shakedown letters show up late and I don't get my usual calls so I figured I'd check here. And after reading this I have to say that it's clearly individual to the unit as to how this stuff goes. Because my guy explained it exactly as it's written out above, and at thankfully , at his unit they don't do the kind of terrible stuff that I've read about in this thread. I know TDCJ sucks. But each unit has it's own culture and standards. And you can't take one horrible re-telling of an experience and expect that it's that way across the board. There is a *little bit* of hope to be found in living through this. I promise, It's not always as horrifying as it seems to us on the outside. I do PRN work as a nurse for a correctional facility here in there state where I live and I tell you what, no way in the world would ANY OF THIS take place the way it's been described here. And it certainly doesn't happen in Texas on my man's unit either. Don't let the terrible stories get to you. It's already hard enough without dealing with that too.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Does any body know any thing about Byrd unit in Huntsville TX.?My son has just been moved there yesterday from TDCJ.I'm 1200 miles away. Any info would be helpful.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38 AM

He normally not stay there long. Its a diagnostic and classification unit.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Default Lock down

During the lockdown when the inmates are told to pack your shit, and they are taken to the gym as they carry everything they own. The guards search through their stuff, and often take the rubber bands that they are using to keep food bags secure. They have a huge roach problem anyhow, taking the rubber bands is not helping that. They take the rubber bands and then if you read the long account earlier in this thread, tell the inmates don't sort any shit just roll it up and take it. Why? Because then the food all runs out into the whole pack, and instant coffee, for instance, gets on all the stuff. Why take the rubberbands? Well it's easier to just rip them off and pitch them, and they like to screw up the inmates stuff. They also scream and yell the whole day, trying to provoke someone into a case. The comment made earlier about the labor pool for the Texas prisons was right. Most of these prisons are located out in the sticks and hicks. You get mostly borderline unemployable retards in these areas. Just staying overnight in the nearest hick town is like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you run into some of the locals and you start to see why the whole prison system is the way it is.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyrussell View Post
Sounds exactly what we had to go through when I wne through basic training for the Army!
You and I are alike in that thinking. TDC is like basic Training. Locked up with a bunch of people you dont know yet and martching to chow.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw_dallas View Post
Wow you make it sound so nice--of course that is coming from a boss' perspective. I was on Middleton through a shakedown then on Sanchez for 4 shakedowns, and at Mineral Wells (CCA Facility) for one shakedown--NEVER NEVER NEVER did I get a shower every 24 hours--at best we were given one every other day. At Sanchez it was every 72 hours--the same day they came for necessitites (clothing exchange). Johnny sacks--yeah they suck! Breakfast comes around 4 am with a hard boiled egg and a pack of dry cereal. Lunch you get a PB&J with about a table spoon worth of mixed up PB&J in the center of two hard pieces of bread and a burrito. dinner time--two burritos. Fortunately, the dorm I lived in was the maintenance workers dorm, so they the plumber rerouted the hot water pot controls so they couldn't be controled from the picket--we had hot water during our lockdowns--that was the only thing that got us through sometimes.

When lockdown was called, we were all stripped at our work sites (yes the usual strip search--take everything off, spread fingers, open mouth, lift nut sac, spread cheeks, lift feet, etc--yes humilitating at first, but when you get stripped three times a day, you get very used to it very quick--hope you weren't a modest person before, because after TDCJ gets through with you, you might as well be an exhibionist (cant spell that word--hope you get the gist). then you get marched back to your dorm and scramble to get rid of all of your contraband--empty water bottle from commissary is contraband and will be trashed by the guards. then the dreaded wait time--you can only hope that you are one of the last dorms--usually the co's are so tired of doing the shakedowns by that time that they rush through your property and the dorm and it goes much quicker that way, plus you can maybe fare out with more of your property at that point. and everything that was posted earlier about dragging your property to whereever--well that is different on every unit. At Sanchez--all you have to do is go to the rec yard behind your assigned building.

from an ex-offender's point of view, some of the guards are cool--they understand that they are there for a job and that job is to ensure the "safety" of the inmates--other CO's take their job too seriously--as if they think they are an officer of the court there to ensure a continued punishment--they do this by their demeaning talk--treating us like dogs instead of human beings. Yes we are in prison, but we are still human beings and you F**** A**** CO's with an attitude need to remember that. (stepping off soapbox right now )

Okay I really went off, I will end this now
Boohoo cry me a river...Quit breaking the law and you wont have to do that anymore....That Victim mentality will just land you right back there.