Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Default RSAT program

How many RSAT programs are in the Georgia prison system? My fiance's tpm is 07/09 and if the program is a 9-month what can i do to ensure that he gets into the program? his papers state that he must complete this program before he is released.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
aka klyn and I hate Ga

Sophia He needs to go talk to his counsler ASAP cause in most cases they have to be moved to a different prison that offers this so dont mess around
Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanked 1,499 Times in 584 Posts

also,,rsat,they say its a nine month program,,but when my family member was in it,it was twelve months,
Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Donation Award 

I just heard yesterday that it has been changed to 22 months!!
What's going on?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Donation Award 

Johnson State Prison192 beds(Male inmates)Pulaski State Prison96 beds(Female inmates) Scott State Prison240 beds(Male inmates) Homerville State Prison200 beds (Male parolees) Bainbridge Probation Substance Abuse Treatment Center192 beds(Male probationers) Lee Arrendale State Prison150 beds(Female probation)
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Donation Award 

Default Clarification

Sorry, I misunderstood, the wait for a bed is about 22 months, the program is 9 months as stated previously. I did read in the news about 2 weeks ago that they are building a new and larger RSAT facility in North Georgia.

My h is being sentenced tomorrow and the RSAT will be incorporated into his sentencing.

He's never had treatment before and I hope that he finally sees the light and gets better, I'm divorcing him anyway but I still care about him and hope he can change his life for the better for himself and for the fact that our son still needs a good dad in the future.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 AM

Just sent out a message about the RSAT programs myself. I've researched and there are 3, Calhoun, Johnson, and Scott. Johnson and Scott are on the Substance Abuse Link and I found Calhoun by just searching all of the state prisons. I'm in the process of writing my son now and sending him copies of what I've found. It's my understanding that his counselor must process the paperwork to get him into another prison that offers the RSAT program.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:27 PM

just an update, my fiance was moved to Scotts prison on September 1st and it is a nine month program but i also spoke with a correctional officer at the prison and she said that it could take longer depending on the inmate's readiness to be rehabilitated( how he listens, responds,complete required assignments and participates in group activities, etc.).
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM

OK my husbands counselor told me that the parole board will get my husband transferred that they have nothing to do with that if they require them to do the rsat program they will move them is this true or is it really the counselors job????
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Thanked 1,230 Times in 836 Posts

I myself am trying to find out the exact same thing!!! I've been making calls all week, trying to find out exactly WHO sends the inmates to the prisons!!!!

The only prisons listed under the Substance Abuse section on the DOC website is Scott and Johnson (for male inmates), but like someone stated above if you look at the individual prisons, it also lists RSAT under the one for Calhoun.

I too can say that a counselor told me that the parole board is the controlling factor for that particular transfer. He told me that the parole board designates who goes to where and when...

I was also told that it's a 9 month program, but it can take longer, depending on the inmates willingness to participate!!! But my husband was told by his new counselor that it is a 6 month program.... so who knows?!?!?

And we're more in love and happier than ever!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Yes my husbands counselor told me that it is a 6-9 month program depending how the inmate participates and does his assignments and willingness ect... she told me that when the program is done they will either go home, to a transition center but the transition centers are so full right now they are just going home and if they have time left before they can be released like a week or two they will go back to the prison they were transferred to until the DOC paperwork comes through. I am hopeing my husband will be transffered by May /June he will be done his Firefighter certification , but like you I will have to start making calls to see what I can find out I dont want him sitting there when it is the counselors job and they are waitin on the board to do it ....... gotta love GA prison systems I keep telling them I will gladly pay for a monitor for my husband to come home I will pay to feed him cloth him bath I will save them money...lol
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

So, the hubby talked to his counselor and she told him that it's something the parole board does... The DOC has nothing to do with it... The P.B. designates which inmates go to which beds in the program... And just so ya know... I've tried calling the p.b. regarding this and I've gotten nowhere!!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Thumbs up RSAT Info

OK my PT friends I have an answer, I just got off the phone with the Parole board , The DOC actually gave me a direct number to the examiners@ the parole board and I spoke with a human..woohoo. Any how this is what I was told you are right it is NOT the counselors job , The parole board sends a referral to DOC and they schedule the transfer when it gets close to the time they are going to be released, Ok now the RSAT program WAS reduced to a 6 mnth Program (this makes me very happy) so if they are not required to do any work release after then they wont be transfered till about 6 mnths before they are due to come home there pick mnth date. If they are required to do a work release program then they will be transfered a year prior to there pick month , example: My husbands pick month is Aug of 2010 so he will get transfered sometime in july most likely because the work release is 6 mnths and RSAT is 6 mnths. he will go home from WR. Now keep in mind that alot of of peoples picks months are getting moved up , My husband said almost everyone that is around him , pick months have beend pushed up at least 2mnths so who knows just pray I surely am I need him home so bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drkangel127 For This Useful Post:
chuieycuzca22 (06-25-2009), Mommy4Two (04-17-2009)
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM

what is the RSAT ? my husband was on probation for drugs. had 5 yrs probation. with just 3 yrs left, he failed drug test. they gave him 10 month in jail. then he was sent to prison with just 8 months to go. gets out 10/30/09, unless he gets out early on parole. will they require him to do this. i dont even know when they will give him a TPM yet. when do they do this according to 1/3 of time. will he have enough time to do this program
Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingy2366 View Post
what is the RSAT ? my husband was on probation for drugs. had 5 yrs probation. with just 3 yrs left, he failed drug test. they gave him 10 month in jail. then he was sent to prison with just 8 months to go. gets out 10/30/09, unless he gets out early on parole. will they require him to do this. i dont even know when they will give him a TPM yet. when do they do this according to 1/3 of time. will he have enough time to do this program

You should go to the top of the page and search these threads for RSAT... It'll bring up quite a few for you... There have been some changes, but the short of it is this: It's a Residential Substance Abuse Treatment program... It is no longer 9 months (thanks Detective drkangel) it is now a 6 month program... The Parole Board dishes it out... It usually comes with the TPM grid... It is only offered in 2 (possible 3) prisons for male adult offenders... They are still in a prison, but they live seperately from G.P.... They can not just go and get it out of the way... as you probably read above, they are eligible to go once they are closer to the TPM, so the p.b. can then release them instead of sending them back to a prison cell.... No, it can not affect the TPM, if they do not get sent before the TPM is 6 months away, they can still be paroled and will have to take a class called Motivation for Change....

I think that's about it.... Really though, go search the other threads, there's a ton of info about it...

I'm not sure in your particular case, but if drugs were involved, he may have to. It looks like the Parole Board is making a lot more people go to this program.... The statistics are good though, so it could be a help and not a burden!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mommy4Two For This Useful Post:
chuieycuzca22 (06-25-2009)
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM

thank you. yea i dont even know when he will get his tpm. he will max out in i months anyway. dont understand why cobb county sent him to prison anyway, neither does his boss. luckly, his boss is holding his job for him
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Donation Award 

Question many questions - help

hey all,

just spoke with hubby not to long ago and he got his grid sheet today. the pb seems to be on it and disseminating info within days of it being on the automated system. that's a good sign i guess.

so here's the deal. the parole board is requiring hubby does RSAT and a halfway house. so is the RSAT program only at Johnson, Scott and Calhoun? we are trying to get hubby out of Calhoun and closer to my inlaws. this would throw a monkeywrench in that plan. i hate the staff at CSP they are lazy good for nothings.

also, what's the deal with the halfway house? why would a person have to go to one when s/he has a support system in place? he'll have a home and employment waiting upon release. what's the purpose of a halfway house? do they get released earlier or will he go to a halfway house during his pic month?

help me understand. i have so many questions as we enter this new phase.

Last edited by kae; 05-12-2009 at 10:01 PM..
Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Rsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
hey all,

just spoke with hubby not to long ago and he got his grid sheet today. the pb seems to be on it and disseminating info within days of it being on the automated system. that's a good sign i guess.

so here's the deal. the parole board is requiring hubby does RSAT and a halfway house. so is the RSAT program only at Johnson, Scott and Calhoun? we are trying to get hubby out of Calhoun and closer to my inlaws. this would throw a monkeywrench in that plan. i hate the staff at CSP they are lazy good for nothings.

also, what's the deal with the halfway house? why would a person have to go to one when s/he has a support system in place? he'll have a home and employment waiting upon release. what's the purpose of a halfway house? do they get released earlier or will he go to a halfway house during his pic month?

help me understand. i have so many questions as we enter this new phase.
My husband got the same thing this is what I was told the RSAT program is a 6mnth program work release is 6mnths yes they only have it in three prisons most people end up in Scott or Johnson.. I was told the transfer them a year before there pic month , so like my husbands pic mnth is aug 2010 so they said he would get transferred sometime before aug and do 6mnths RSAt and 6Mnths work release them come home. His counselor said a lot of them arent doing work release because they are full (don't know if thats true or not)the PB sends a referal to DIC and they transfer him. I don't understand why they have to do work release either , my husband is on trustee staus works in the fire house he is about to be a certified fire fighter goes out on calls doesn't even wear a prison uniform but cant come home its craxy ..who knows why they do what they do!!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkangel127 View Post
My husband got the same thing this is what I was told the RSAT program is a 6mnth program work release is 6mnths yes they only have it in three prisons most people end up in Scott or Johnson.. I was told the transfer them a year before there pic month , so like my husbands pic mnth is aug 2010 so they said he would get transferred sometime before aug and do 6mnths RSAt and 6Mnths work release them come home. His counselor said a lot of them arent doing work release because they are full (don't know if thats true or not)the PB sends a referal to DIC and they transfer him. I don't understand why they have to do work release either , my husband is on trustee staus works in the fire house he is about to be a certified fire fighter goes out on calls doesn't even wear a prison uniform but cant come home its craxy ..who knows why they do what they do!!
Yes, but you should think of the work release as a good thing!! It's not adding any extra time to his sentence and once he's on work release he will have extra privileges... My understanding is that they can earn weekend passes and stuff... So, he has more freedom and he's gaining experience for when he's officially released!! This should make you , not !!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
OK my PT friends I have an answer, I just got off the phone with the Parole board , The DOC actually gave me a direct number to the examiners@ the parole board and I spoke with a human..woohoo. Any how this is what I was told you are right it is NOT the counselors job , The parole board sends a referral to DOC and they schedule the transfer when it gets close to the time they are going to be released, Ok now the RSAT program WAS reduced to a 6 mnth Program (this makes me very happy) so if they are not required to do any work release after then they wont be transfered till about 6 mnths before they are due to come home there pick mnth date. If they are required to do a work release program then they will be transfered a year prior to there pick month , example: My husbands pick month is Aug of 2010 so he will get transfered sometime in july most likely because the work release is 6 mnths and RSAT is 6 mnths. he will go home from WR. Now keep in mind that alot of of peoples picks months are getting moved up , My husband said almost everyone that is around him , pick months have beend pushed up at least 2mnths so who knows just pray I surely am I need him home so bad.

DA127,

Has your husband been transferred yet? Also, can I get that number to the humans at the Parole Board? Also, when you say the PIC months are getting moved up, what do you mean? I thought they could be no more then 6 months prior to the TPM?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Default number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali2335 View Post
DA127,

Has your husband been transferred yet? Also, can I get that number to the humans at the Parole Board? Also, when you say the PIC months are getting moved up, what do you mean? I thought they could be no more then 6 months prior to the TPM?

Hey there no my husband hasent been transferred yet his pic mnth isn't till aug of 2010 so he won't get transferred until around July sometime, they don't get transferred till 6months before there pic month and if they have work release then a year before there pic month because work release is 6mnths also. the number to the PB examiners office is404-656-5712 if you get an automated thing hang up and call back in a couple min just means the line is busy when a person pics up ask to speak with an examiner. I just called again and got someone right away and asked my question and hung up took all of 5 min wonderful....lol as far as the pic months being moved the rule is they arent supposed to be no more then 6 mnths but GA PB can do whatever they want unfortunatley so there are some people being release earlier just depends on the situation I guess...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drkangel127 For This Useful Post:
Ali2335 (05-26-2009)
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Hey there no my husband hasent been transferred yet his pic mnth isn't till aug of 2010 so he won't get transferred until around July sometime, they don't get transferred till 6months before there pic month and if they have work release then a year before there pic month because work release is 6mnths also. the number to the PB examiners office is404-656-5712 if you get an automated thing hang up and call back in a couple min just means the line is busy when a person pics up ask to speak with an examiner. I just called again and got someone right away and asked my question and hung up took all of 5 min wonderful....lol as far as the pic months being moved the rule is they arent supposed to be no more then 6 mnths but GA PB can do whatever they want unfortunatley so there are some people being release earlier just depends on the situation I guess...

A year before the PIC month? My husbands is 5/10. I saw him on Sunday, but he has not called me. Is he gone, in the hole?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Default rsat

Quote:
A year before the PIC month? My husbands is 5/10. I saw him on Sunday, but he has not called me. Is he gone, in the hole?
is your Husbands pic month 5 of 2010? If so and he has to do RSAT and Transition then he should have been transferred already or will go anytime. You can call the prison he is in and just say I want to know if my husband is still there and they will ask for his EF # and tell you also I would call the examiner and talk to them and find out what is going on and if he isn't transferred does that mean that his work release time will be shorter? Thats what I would think but not sure. You might try calling DOC too because they get the refferal from the PB to tansfer him maybe they can at least tell you if he will eb going soon they wont tell you exactly when but maybe they can give you an idea of where he stands .
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Quote:
DA127,

Also, when you say the PIC months are getting moved up, what do you mean? I thought they could be no more then 6 months prior to the TPM?
But you also have to remember that some people are given PICs that are only 2-4 months prior to the TPM... Not everyone gets 6 months off right up front... So, if the original PIC was only 2 months before the TPM, the PB could go back and give them an additional 4 months credit... still only making the PIC 6 months prior to the TPM...

Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

Quote:
The year thing is only approximate... They estimate that the RSAT program will take 6 months (has been changed from 9 months) and then work release will be another 6 months... Hence, a transfer 12 months prior to the PIC...