Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

Question Theirs vs. Them -- Another Question For "Employees & Ex-Employees"

I'm not understanding something -- why must prison staff who fall sweet on an inmate or convict face (1) quitting, (2) being asked to quit or (3) firing. Why isn't (4) transfer to a different facility an option?

I understand the relationships could pose security threats but if she's transferred to a different facility it's also my understanding doesn't that then kill the security threat?, which leads me to believe is "getting these c.o.s out of there" really about security, or is it really about the DOC being a little salty (upset, angry, pissed off) because they've lost one of theirs to one of them??

Last edited by HeSoHandsome; 02-01-2007 at 11:05 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 AM
LOVE U DADDY ALWAY!

Cool

HeSoHandSome once you go to the process of taking the position one of the reason to be fired is fraternizing with inmates so transfering is not an option cause its part of the contract you sign... And if a love one is in the system you are suppose to let them know again that is grounds to be fired....

Transfer is not an option because they figure if you did it in one facility you will do it in another.....

Hold fast to dreams,

for if dreams die,

life is a broken winged
bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYCEE
. . . Transfer is not an option because they figure if you did it in one facility you will do it in another.....
Thank you LADYCEE. So what it then seems like is ALL EMPLOYEES are basically regarded the same -- as a fraternizer and dealt with like a fraternizer rather than being dealt with accordingly.

Because employees and staff form relationships I think that's something that they need to be looking at in terms of "that contract". I mean because if a woman finds her heart content with an inmate and then gets transferred, what I'm thinking is it's highly unlikely that "she will do the same in the next facility" because she good -- she got her man -- she content.

What they need to do that I think would be better is to sit with the employee and maybe the inmate/convict too but definitely the employee and find out if a relationship is on the brink and if it is, transfer her and wish her well. But that if no relationship is on the brink and she just got caught goofin off/fraternizing, then she and those in that category should face the boot of contract violation.

The job situation is crucial these days and I'm just not fond of playin with peoples' jobs, know what I'm saying. Maybe the DOC's position is "we don't care about peoples' lives or their jobs -- that's what friends, family and penpals are for".
Old 02-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Prayer is the key

Also when it's a friend/ family member like Ladycee said you are supposed to let the DOC know this. Because they don't want the family member/friend getting special treatment from the CO. And if you don't then they fire you and you sign a contract saying that you agree to all of this when you are first hired.

Giving me no more than what I can handle!!!!
Knowing when to Let Go, and Let God!!!
I am God's work in progress
Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
My baby is home!!!!

In most cases when the relationship is found out is when the CO is caught bringing something in or something to that effect. So transfering is not an option because not only have they broken the establishing a relationship rule, but they have also broken a law by bringing in something. So they ar viewed as a bigger threat to even be rehired. I agree they are alittle salty, even more so with the ones they feel got away without being caught.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsgirl
I agree they are alittle salty, even more so with the ones they feel got away without being caught.
Yeah Willsgirl, that's what I'm thinking too because there are all sorts of situations, yet one solution: OUT, because I'm sure all employees won't smuggle in something to their honey.

The DOC has a million directives for everything, yet only one in this situation, and it's "to not work with the person, but to get them OUT."
Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Can I point out one small detail?

Contracts are in place for a reason. If you take a job, not reading your contract, you are foolish. If you DO read it, and you sign it, you are PROMISING to abide by every rule listed. That's real plain and simple.

And if you choose not to? Then do you honestly think there should be special treatment?

If the company PROMISED to pay you x amount per month, and reneged on that, would you be falling all over yourself to excuse their actions, and just understandingly let the short paychecks go...? Somehow, I kind of doubt it.

It's not an "I think it should be this way." or a "Well, it seems to me..." situation. It is a very simple thing. You do not sign a contract unless you intend to follow the rules in it. And if you choose not to? (Oh, I guess we already covered this)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

I was just speaking to my girlfriend about this. My girl QUIT her job as a CO to be with her man. I didnt understand that sh** at all. but love is love. anyway she applies in va to be a cop away from ny and shes in there. She just took her time to out smart them. but my other girlfriend got fired. They fear the combo of a criminal and a shield. Its dangerous. They will never let the to be together in the public eye.

Last edited by JnJ2hearts1soul; 02-01-2007 at 02:26 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM

OK Ghoti, did yours lose her job? LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Well, she wasn't a Co, she was a teacher,and.......... Opps too much info..
Old 02-01-2007, 02:29 PM

LOL I think that's a contract too. Did she teach you anything? LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

Only that we probably weren't right for one another anyway. She choose to quit, and we've never seen each other again.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
My baby is home!!!!

Your right GHOTI, that is why I am a firm beliver that if a CO is feeling a inmate and wants to persue a relationship with them, it is in their best interest to go ahead and quit, not stick around and wait to be fired cause sooner or later they will find out.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOTI
Contracts are in place for a reason.
You do not sign a contract unless you intend to follow the rules in it. And if you choose not to? (Oh, I guess we already covered this)

You took the words right out of my keyboard!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 PM
LOVE U DADDY ALWAY!

Yes they will find out and it don't alway have to be that you brought something in to the inmate..... Feeling are a funny thing and they are very hard to hide . Just when you think no one else known think again.... Quitting may be the best cause once you are fired you are black balled from other city, state, Gov. J-O-B's (at least here in NY) knew of a couple of ppl on the job that got fired after giving the dept more then 10 yrs.... Thats the best time for them cause they can bring in at least 3 new officers on your salary .....

Hold fast to dreams,

for if dreams die,

life is a broken winged
bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Well I worked for the DOC, for 5 years and was strait as they come as far as CO's go. Then BAM, it hit me like a ton of bricks, I started caring about an inmate on my detail. When it got to the point where I knew I was in love with this man, I knew that it was time for me to go. I quit so that we could be together. Now let me tell you it was HARD as hell, because the day I quit I put a letter in the mail to him that night, and wrote him daily after that, which is when the other staff found out about us. He was harrassed severly because of his relationship with me, and they refused to transfer him, because as long as he was there I would not be allowed to visit (security risk). It took us a couple months, but we finally made that transfer happen, but where did they move him? to a prison on the opposite end of the state 6 hours away, thinking that would keep me away, well I'm happy to report I made my first visit last weekend, and we are going strong.

I'm not mad at the DOC for their policy, while it's absolutely true that I could have worked in another facility without my relationship with him affecting my job performance, it's not allowed so I didn't even try to transfer. When he gets out in May, I may very well go back to the DOC, not at the prison where we met because there will always be the knowledge there of my relationship with him and I'd always be judged for it, but I am rehireable by the DOC, because I chose to quit and once he is out, I will be free to work for them again and will not be breaking any policies.

I firmly believe that MANY of the staff who become involved with inmates, in whatever manner do NOT belong in the DOC, because they do not respect the rules. I always respected them, I never broke them (falling in love isn't against the rules, its all the things that usually occur with it that are) the majority of staff (men and women) who I've seen over the years don't fall in love and quit, they get caught up, they bring things in, they have sex, they write letters, they try to trick the system, but they always get caught, eventually.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by apf2489
. . . , while it's absolutely true that I could have worked in another facility without my relationship with him affecting my job performance, it's not allowed so I didn't even try to transfer.
Okay, there's an answer I can roll with.

Very well written, thorough, and short -- thanks for your input apf. And VERY GOOD that you are now able to visit.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 AM

Well, it is allowed if you don't want to have any kind of contact with your man. You have to choose which one it is going to be. And while falling in love is not against the rules it is against the rules to be overfamiliar with an inmate. And somewhere along the line everybody that quit or was fired was overfamiliar or there would have been no way to establish a relationship. So I don't think that makes one any better than the other. A rule broken is a rule broken.Of course if you actually had sex than that is punishable as a crime now.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:33 AM

I need to refraise that to say it is allowed if they don't have any proof on you such as sex, etc. Even if you were overfamiliar or some other things you could still get by with a reprimand and keep your job.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,012 Times in 7,140 Posts

A CO/Inmate relationship can jeopardize the inmate's safety, the security of the facility and can potentially put the department in the position of being civilly liable for damages.
Our society and its laws frown on relationships where there is a significant disparity in power... out in the "real world", most companies have policies against "office romances" between superiors and subordinates.. partly because such situations do affect morale (No matter how competant and hard working s/he is, if the person known to be sleeping with their boss gets a promotion or the really choice assignments, it smells funny and is resented) and partly because there is an ever present possibility that the subordinate may not have felt completely free to reject the advances of the superior... ot that it could look that way to the jury in a civil action down the road.
I can only speculate that a CO who is known to be (or is strongly suspected of) carrying on a relationship with an inmate loses an awful lot of respect and in that situation, having the respect of everyone with whom you interact on the job is a major safety issue.
There seem to be a thousand aspects to why such relationships are problematic, but there can be no getting around the fact that they are and that there is just no yardstick by which the DOC could reasonably be expected to say "OK, she can fraternize with him, but those two are a problem"... The legal part of my brain is already typing the pleadings for the discrimination and harrassment suits that taking it case by case would spawn

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Some of it just has to do with the difference in states, facilities, people, unions, and if someone wants to fight it. Is the relationship worh it? On and on. Each situation is different.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts

,,,,my comment,,what I don't get is,,,the goverment locked up all these men of color in the so called war on drugs(you know the one were no govt officials went to jail although they were the ones who helped bring the drugs in to the country),,,and then turned around and said to the single women of color that were left behind,,"Whelp we want you off welfare, so we are going to make you guard these very men that you laid up and had babies with and ran with in the drug game on the streets",,,"Oh by the way ,,We know they look good now that they are eating right and excersising 8 hours a day,,Butterum if You sleep with them again,,You gonna wind up with out a job and in jail too"

Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Considers the source...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSoHandsome
Why isn't (4) transfer to a different facility an option?
Transferring is also probably not an option because what if for some reason that same inmate has to xfer to the facility the DOC worker was xferred to for special classes, programs, treatment, etc?
I dont think the DOC is willing to take the time to figure out why xferring a prisoner to a different facility is a problem because of a DOC worker they were involved with. The easiest thing to do is just fire the worker and leave it at that. Not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is