Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 10-18-2003, 12:41 AM

Default For former employees

I have noticed quite a few of the posters are former employees. I see that you talk down on the prison system now that you have a loved one in custody. I am wondering if any of you did anything to help change the conditions while you were an employee?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2003, 02:08 PM
He is home now

Have you been to the unofficial TDCJ ID web page Lawdawg? GO read a few posts on that page and come back and ask that same question. Apparently there are several CO's that talk down about the prison system---from a stand point of the inmate that is. I dont think that a person making a comment such as : "how could someone have a relationship with a man sharing 3600 other inmates underwear" is willing to change the system. This is the worst comment I found on the site. I have nothing against CO's and I get along with many at the unit my husband is on. But I do have a problem with the mentality of the posters on the TDCJID unofficial website.

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
"innocent and DNA set them FREE
Old 10-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Me:Colorado; Wife:TDCJ

Thank you sonnysgirl for mentioning that website, I jhave been trying to get as many people to read that board as I can. Every one needs to see what types of people their loved ones have taking care of them on a daily basis, sone are good, but others are downright sadistic and have hatred in their system for most inmates. www.tdcjid.com check it out every one. It's something you have to see to believe. There maybe some digging to do to see some of the worst, but it's all there.

Old 10-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Account Closed

didn't work for me, sure you got the right address?
Old 10-19-2003, 04:21 PM
He is home now

I heard they shut the site down

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
Old 10-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Me:Colorado; Wife:TDCJ

NO way!!!! I did just try to go there and it wouldn't let me in either, they shut it down? No wonder lawdawg is here then, they've got no where else to go, poor Ricky Minton, poor guy? What a homeless exTDCJ CO to do?

Old 10-19-2003, 05:46 PM
JOHNNY'S ANGEL

Yep, It is shut down. I tried to go there about a week ago. I know that in my class of over 290, there were several that only wanted to get to their assigned unit to "beat somebody down."

I would think that they could come up with some type of testing to weed these individuals out before training them to go inside our prisons. But, they are having such a hard time finding/keeping correctional officers that I guess they don't care or never thought of this.

Dear Lord, Please continue to watch over our loved ones in the tdcj-cid system. God Bless Texas!

Who is Ricky Minton?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanked 10,495 Times in 5,777 Posts

I visited the other site some time back, and I know Ricky was trying to keep things on track. What needs to be kept in perspective is that the comments on that site were not representative of all of the security personnel in the state. Some of them that were on that site were venting frustration more about idiotic wardens as anything else, and some were talking the same type of trash you would expect in a bar after having too much to drink.

Am I saying that there aren't CO's on a power trip? Definitely not. As a shift supervisor, I had more than one incident that should have been no more than a minor use of force, and even that could have been avoided if the CO had been using their head. But those sort of incidents are not everyday occurrences with every employee even on a rock'n'roll unit.

As to lawdawg's original query...not all of the ex-employees on here are involved with someone serving time. Some of us are here simply to try and provide useful and correct information about different facets of agency operations. I left after being put in a situation where division directors did not want to listen to their program administrators about what needed to be done to fix problems...there is only so much of that that one can stand before moving on to the greener pastures of the private sector. See, the sad thing is, I really liked what I was doing even though I knew I wasn't going to get rich working for the state...I felt like a character in Dilbert, constantly having to deal with the pointy-haired boss. I maintain my contact with the agency, and have lunch with some of my former regional directors and other people I worked with, but I doubt you could pay me enough to want to go back into that minefield...
Old 10-19-2003, 08:02 PM

Thank you. I do understand the problems one faces with the adminstration. So many times they are not seeing what is really happening. It reminds me of "War Pig" where he talks about politicians sons not fighting the wars, only the poor boys. Yes, Rickys site is shut down. Lon Burton Gleen still has his site up though. I am here to see things from a different perspective. My brother pushes the limit sometimes and I hope that I am never in ya'lls shoes, I would hate to have to walk away from a visit. I whole heartedly agree that there is many wrongs within the system. Most of the time its legal, although its not moral or ethical. Whenever you see a post I make its from me. Its not sugar coated, an agency response, or a co hell bent on leaning on somebody. I will offer truthful awnsers to almost any question asked. The awnser will simply be mine.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 PM

Thank you lawdawg, lin, and texlyn for your refreshing objectivity. Your informed comments are appreciated. Obviously you all have the maturity and perspective to realize that much of the venting in this forum is just that.
Texlyn, I'm esp. sad that tdc had to lose someone of your caliber. That you choose to stay in contact with some former coworkers reminds me that yes, there are good folks everywhere and we're all just doin' the best we can.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:50 PM
one lucky woman

lawdawg, I think I forgot to say this but welcome to PTO.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 11-20-2003, 11:21 PM

Default TDCJID.com

First, I came across this site when doing a search on my own name. As an individual who creates several websites, I was simply looking to see where my main site ranked on Google. Alas, here I am.

I have read these posts and, in fact, I understand the stance that some of you have on Texas Prisons. I, too, realize that the hiring standards should be higher when you are dealing with the lives of individuals. I have witnessed many things in my career (which ended in 2002) that amazed me. I have also witnessed many things that I was proud of in my career.

TDCJID.com was never intended to be a forum for some of the things that people say was there (I admit that it did get bad) but it happens. As the admin of this forum will attest, it is all but impossible to monitor every post that is made. While I operated the site, I had moderators in place and the ability of any reader to "Report a post" immediately to a moderator for review. Sometimes, while they felt the post was appropriate, I would override that and remove it. The fact is, I made every effort to provide a professional forum for correctional officers. It was impossible to only get those results. Over the years, we grew to accept the bad with the good.

During my time over the site, I changed some of the rules that had been in place while it was other ownership. One of those rules that was changed was allowing family members of correctional officers to post comments and questions. While I would not have suggested it knowing the answers they would probably receive, I allowed it because I felt it was inappropriate to not allow someone to post because their family was in prison. That goes against the way I was raised (not trained, but raised).

The site was closed when I had a dispute with the webhost. I do intend on relaunching it soon however no date is set. Everyone here is permitted to post, in fact, I am contemplating a forum for family members of offenders to speak freely while removing attacks from employees to permit the free flow of the conversation.

While I was employed with TDCJ, I met many great people that I admire. While I was employed there I also became a regular "highway gate officer" which brought me into frequent contact with offender family members. I always showed them the respect due to them and they returned that respect.

In closing, I think my reason for posting is to say that before you judge me personally for the antics of some of the folks that posted on TDCJID.com you should listen to me and understand that I, like alot of people that work for TDCJ, are not entirely against the offender. In fact, my personal belief (and if you could ask any offender that I supervised while employed there) was that I showed them the respect I wanted to recieve from them. Nothing more and nothing less.

I assume that I will receive alot of negative feedback regarding this post, but if any of you have any questions feel free to contact me. As I stated, as long as I am shown the same respect you would expect I will return your email and gladly answer your qiestions.

Thank you,
Ricky Minton
Old 11-21-2003, 04:57 AM

This is the link for the new site, the old one was shut down. It is being run by someone new. I also check it out every now and then, I am usually completely appalled at the mentality found there. http://members4.boardhost.com/tdcjid.com/

Lucy
Old 11-21-2003, 05:46 AM

Ricky, BTW It took some guts to post here, cudos! You'll find that not all of us think that ALL COs are bad. For the most part we know what our loved ones did to end up where they are. All most of us want is for them not to be abused and to be shown a little respect when they deserve it. You just may get as many positive replies as negative.

Lucy
Old 11-21-2003, 08:45 AM

Actually Cajunlady, that is not the new site you listed. That is the old site. My site would probably be considered the new site. That board you listed was the message board used right before I took it over. He continued to run that board without having the TDCJID.com domain name pointing to it. Does that make sense?
Old 11-21-2003, 04:17 PM

Sorry, my bad! I understand, I think... Actually no, I dont. The site I linked to is called TDCJID.com. Oh well, I do confuse easily. Anyway, I stand corrected.

I think most of us that checked out your site found it by accident while doing a web search seeking info on this confusing system we have now found ourselves in by default. You can imagine how screen names such as "Broganflipper" would get our hackles up a bit, not to mention some of the comments made there. I have to admit that a lot of folks here judge all CO's the same as some COs judge all inmates and the people who continue to love them. I think your Idea for your new site would be great. Maybe by sharing our thoughts we could all learn a bit about the other and society and the Prison system would be the better for it. Welcome to PTO now maybe we can bombard you with questions (LOL) and you can help the folks here to understand why TDC does some of the things they do that we dont understand.

Lucy
Old 11-21-2003, 04:44 PM

Yeah, there are two sides to every story, and sometimes three. Respect is the key to all relationships that foster something other than conflict. My dear departed ex husband has eleven brothers, one was a senior guard at a state facility, another was doin' time in it. Made for interesting dinner table conversation, that's fer sure.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:46 PM

I would be glad to answer any question. Some of the things TDCJ does are for a reason. Others are nothing more than some shift Lt. getting his kicks. It all depends. As an officer, and my co-workers would tell you this, I knew policy fairly well. It may be a bit rusty, but if I don't have an answer I know I can get one. So fire those questions away.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:37 PM

For the most part and with little exception, I have had a positive experience with TDCJ employees. And those of you who do your job professionally to care for my son, I would like to thank you.

Those of you who don't should be ashamed of yourself.

There will always be those who when given a little authority will inevitably abuse it.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:41 PM

You are so right, Jerry'sMom. In every profession, there are those that just do NOT know how to accept authority and behave in the same manner. They let it "go to their head" if you will. Unfortuantely, when you recruit on the front lawn of Huntsville High School on the last day of school, you get alot of that.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:31 PM
He is home now

I have to agree that there are co's that show respect to the inmates. In fact, most of the CO's that I have encountered are very courteous. But I found out something disturbing from an x-inmate and I was wondering if you might shed some light on this. This x-offender stated that there are CO's that "prostitute" themselves out to the inmates. Also, the inmates can give the guards 10 bucks to bring them a can of snuff etc. He said that the cash in there is unbelievable. How often do these things happen in a unit? I was shocked when I heard this and I cant help but wonder where their supervisors are.

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
Old 11-21-2003, 10:36 PM

Yes things such as this do happen. I have heard of one situation where a female officer "prostituted" herself to offenders. The tobacco problem is very bad or atleast was when I was there. You were always hearing of officers being fired or resigned for that. Relationships with offenders are pretty bad to, again, at least when I was there. Some current officers may be able to shed more light on what is going on now, but I can say that when I was there you never "heard it all" as someone else would always come along doing something so incredibly stupid that you couldn't believe it.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,694 Times in 1,576 Posts

First, welcome to PTO Ricky.. Glad to have you here.

I am proud to see the level of civility that is taking place here.. I know I have never spoken in the Texas forum much about my thoughts on both Current and Ex-CO's being a part of PTO, but I am all for any that are SYMPATHETIC to inmates and their loved ones being here.

Good lines of communication and information will only help us.. This has been going on in the California forum (and some others in the past) for some time with both current and ex DOC CO's and Counselors sharing information and points of view that you just can't get anywhere else..

That being said, I hope everything continues on its current course.. Respect is the name of the game here.. Give and you shall receive.. If not, well then you contact me.

Fed-X
Old 11-21-2003, 11:12 PM

I think sympathetic towards inmates is an incorrect assessment of me. I am not against them by any means. They received their punishment from the court, not TDCJ or it's staff. I am sympathetic towards the family as they are in this situation for reasons, usually, beyond their control. I think it is inappropriate to brand them in any way because they have family in prison. They are simply maintaining a relationship with a loved one. I know if I went to prison tomorrow, my mother would be there every weekend to see me. I would be very disappointed if the individuals paid by her tax dollards were disrespectful to her in any way because she was there to see an inmate. That is pathetic.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Account Closed

hi & welcome to pto ricky minton. although, i have no clue as to who you are..or WHAT you do. (or use to do). but, it cant be that difficult to figure it out (gots to love google. lol).

anyways, i am checking out the link that was given for.. TDCJID.COM what am i missing? this was a website for CO's?? or TDCJ employees? all i see is alot of bitching & complaining about snitches & the military.

anyways, welcome again.

xoxo
liberace

oh 1 more thing...true, inmates are people too, they deserve to be treated w/as much respect as anyone else...(even if they did commit a crime..) although, as was stated somewhere in this thread...there are good co's and bad as well. hell, one will find that anywhere!! even here in cali. (im in cali btw). anyways...IMO..i think things need to change....but what can ya do?