Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Question ADTC Avenel, NJ: difference between the regular inmates & 8-Right inmates?

Hi my husband is an inmate at ADTC of Avenel, NJ. I just had a question for people out there that have loved ones there too. What is the difference between the regular inmates and the 8-Right inmates? i would like to know please thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel23 View Post
Hi my husband is an inmate at ADTC of Avenel, NJ. I just had a question for people out there that have loved ones there too. What is the difference between the regular inmates and the 8-Right inmates? i would like to know please thank you.
Raquel, I don't know the answer to your question myself. If I had to guess, I would say that it probably has something to do with those "patients" that are being held because they were civilly committed after they completed their criminal sentences in full. Many sex offenders in New Jersey have their status change without leaving the custody of the state. They go from being an inmate of the NJ DOC one day to being a court-ordered, civilly committed patient the next day. That said, I want to emphasize that I am only guessing here. I'm not even sure if those that have been civilly committed are housed at ADTC.

That said, I do know someone that is currently an inmate at ADTC. I will write to my friend and ask him if he knows the answer to your question. If and when I hear anything from my friend, I will let you know. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Raquel, I received a letter today from my friend in ADTC. I don't understand everything he wrote but I will repeat the relevant parts of his letter. I asked him, "What are 8 Right inmates and how are they different from other inmates at ADTC?" My friend wrote the following:

"8 Right inmates are not considered under the Act, which means that they were not sentenced to ADTC but they have a sex crime. They are also not considered compulsive and repetitive but they do have to register under Meagan's Law."

He also went on to say that inmates that are civilly committed are not housed at ADTC. Those who have been civilly committed are housed at a place called STU. The security at STU is provided by the New Jersey Department of Corrections.

I'm not sure what he meant by "the act." I don't know what STU stands for. Anyway, I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Last edited by Embalmer; 03-14-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Old 09-24-2016, 12:22 PM

I have a question my brother did 10 years njdoc an maxed out an now in adtc do he have to stay there an why is he there if he maxed out
Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeTee92 View Post
I have a question my brother did 10 years njdoc an maxed out an now in adtc do he have to stay there an why is he there if he maxed out
Your brother has most likely been civilly committed. He is probably in the STU (Special Treatment Unit) and not ADTC (Adult Diagnostic & Treatment Center). New Jersey is very aggressive when it comes to having sex offenders civilly committed just before they are about to max out their prison sentence.

The STU is on the same "campus" as ADTC, which leads a lot of people to think that the STU is part of ADTC. It's not. STU is actually a separate facility that is right next to ADTC. Both the ADTC and the STU are right next to East Jersey State Prison (aka "Rahway State Prison"). I could stand in the parking lot of East Jersey State Prison and hit a golf ball into the yards of all three facilities. You can actually see both Rahway Prison and the STU (orange roof) in this closing scene from the movie Ocean's Eleven:

ADTC is a treatment center located within a state prison. All of the people in ADTC are serving prison sentences for sex crimes. All of the people in ADTC have been deemed, after an evaluation, to be "repetitive and/or compulsive" sex offenders. ADTC is surrounded by razor wire. The residents of ADTC are called prisoners. STU is where the state sends sex offenders that have been civilly committed by a court, often after they have completed a prison sentence for committing a sex crime. The STU is also surrounded by razor wire. The residents of the STU are called patients. East Jersey State Prison (Rahway) is just a regular state prison.

If your brother was civilly committed, he will be able to petition the Superior Court once a year and ask to be released. From what I have heard, it is very difficult to get out of the STU. Case in point:

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-jers.../a5504-14.html
Old 07-03-2017, 05:51 PM

[quote=TeeTee92;7567971]I have a question my brother did 10 years njdoc an maxed out an now in adtc do he have to stay there an why is he there

Honey he is there because he isnt deemed rehabilitated enough to come home because his liklelihôod to reoffend is high the judge orders it to make sure they are safe for society they do this to keep us safe i agree with it but i think if they show improvement its still no guarentee they come home because they are afraid to send them home and it be on that judges watch