Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Welcome Home From Federal Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome Home From Federal Prison We WELCOME home our loved ones from Federal Prison - Threads of welcome and positive discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Thanked 1,092 Times in 598 Posts

my baby is going to hwh the end of dec, he so far knows he's allowed to have a cell phone, but not until after he's there for 72 hrs, he also know's that he can work up to getting certain passes out - beyond work but not sure how long he has to wait for passes but first it's 4hrs, then 8hrs, then 24hrs - we don't know much bout those yet or anything else yet! I also wonder how long it's going to be until he'll be allowed to call me? after he arrives at the hwh?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,186 Times in 10,375 Posts

In the HWH I was in there were payphones available all the time. I used a generic prepaid phone card from Walmart for long distance calls, but I imagine that each HWH has its own phone setup.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 AM
Banned

Yeah most have payphones in the HH. He should be able to call from the get go. I would look for a phone card called STI, its one of the best I have ever seen. The walmart ones honestly suck. IF you use almost any calling card from a payphone they usually charge a HUGE extra fee. This is true with the STI card as well. However at "home" phones/"private" phones w the STI card does not charge a connection fee, by some miracle the payphones in my HH seemed to act like "home phones/private" and didnt charge the extra fee, but I used it at a payphone outside the HH and it charged an additional $1.

Also the "passes" you talked about will start usually after he has made his first payment from his first work check. That will also set the steps in motion for homeconfinement. The passes are usually for his homeconfinement address only. However, as he goes up in levels(1-5) he will be allowed extra shopping time, restaurants and movies, calling upon arrival and departure....
Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Last edited by patrick88; 12-13-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM

I guess the HH sucks all boils down to where you've been and your attitude etc...

I was only at one for 3 month and had some of the same restrictions as the original poster wrote about. except we were allowed cell phones (which I had to learn about after all the years in) but had to check them in when we came in from being out of the HH. We had to get a job or go through an education program (I.E. college courses, ged or whatever) before we were allowed a 12hr pass visit, then 18 hr and then 24hr. We were allowed vehicles but you had to be working.

Upon arrival (first day) after all the paperwork and UA they assigned you a room. 2nd day involved meeting caseworker and PO and then given a pass to go to the store for I think it was 3 hours.

HH isnt bad. It has some dumb rules BUT at least you've got some freedom. We had all forms of residents (thats what they called us) pre-trial, inmates, state, and sentenced people who got 12 months HH as their sentences. The ones coming out of camp and the ones sentenced to HH where the ones who were always complaining, those of us who did a lot of time and in the higher security places tolerated it because we appreciated the little freedom parts. (Dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone because of their time, and yes there were things I didnt like either!)

Refusing HH will not get you SHU unless its court ordered. I know a lot of people who refused and they didnt get any incident reports for nonprograming. Unless things have changed, its a voluntary program unless court ordered or part of something like the drug program. Do know that one guy refused HH and regretted it, ended up catching a new charge and if he would've been at that time he wouldnt have caught it. I also know if I refused it, I would've caught a new charge too because after i was at the HH a major incident happened involving people I hung out with, and I know being the bonehead I was I would've been deep in it too.

My major complaints were not too bad. Just about the visits (2x's a week for 2 hours) and that the BOP at that time was giving more HH time to people doing shorter time then I did. I had a guy with me there that did 27 years and only got 4 months!

The work situation: Our only restrictions were a) no job that you had to handle booze, drugs or firearms b) no jobs that were more then 1 hour away from the HH and C) had to have the Po's approval. Never heard of the no delievery jobs or jobs that involved homes but its possible in some HH's.

Over all my HH wasnt too bad. I'm glad I took it. It helped me get reorientated to the outside world after all that time. It was a waste job wise because I had to take a job there but when I got out I moved over 2 1/2 hours away so had to start over. I've talked to alot of people there and out of there. Most agree it was better than being back behind the walls. Yeah there were complaints but better then the USP's and ADX lol.
I guess its all about what you want, who you are and all that good stuff.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemipapi View Post
my baby is going to hwh the end of dec, he so far knows he's allowed to have a cell phone, but not until after he's there for 72 hrs, he also know's that he can work up to getting certain passes out - beyond work but not sure how long he has to wait for passes but first it's 4hrs, then 8hrs, then 24hrs - we don't know much bout those yet or anything else yet! I also wonder how long it's going to be until he'll be allowed to call me? after he arrives at the hwh?
After he gets there and gets "checked in" he should be able to call you. They usually have pay phones. My case manager actually made me call lol.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Id be just happy my man was "out" what ever the restrictions
Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Donation Award 

will we be able to get married while he is at the halfway house? will he get in trouble if he marries me his first day home? is he going to have a problem coming home to me if we are not married yet? we were together before her got locked up and he has been in almost 6 years.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post
I guess the HH sucks all boils down to where you've been and your attitude etc...

I was only at one for 3 month and had some of the same restrictions as the original poster wrote about. except we were allowed cell phones (which I had to learn about after all the years in) but had to check them in when we came in from being out of the HH. We had to get a job or go through an education program (I.E. college courses, ged or whatever) before we were allowed a 12hr pass visit, then 18 hr and then 24hr. We were allowed vehicles but you had to be working.

Upon arrival (first day) after all the paperwork and UA they assigned you a room. 2nd day involved meeting caseworker and PO and then given a pass to go to the store for I think it was 3 hours.

will we be able to get married while he is at the halfway house? will he get in trouble if he marries me his first day home? is he going to have a problem coming home to me if we are not married yet? we were together before her got locked up and he has been in almost 6 years.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvenia View Post
Thats a question Ive been wondering, and don't know where to ask, hope someone knows the answer
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 PM

my husband is going to be in his 70s when he is released. He won't be looking for work as he is disabled. What will they do in that case?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,186 Times in 10,375 Posts

FW12; Since your husband is disabled or retired he will be exempt from having to look for work. Tell him to be sure to have his case manager say so in his HWH application. He will still have to deal with other HWH issues, like sitting through reentry classes and house meetings, but once he has completed the HWH requirements, he may be able to live at home on HC.

If he doesn't work, he will not have to pay the HWH room and board (25% of job gross earnings). He can do things like finding doctors, getting a driver's license etc. to get out of the HWH during the day.

Once he qualifies for HC, he will have to return to the HWH about once a week for a drug test and they will phone him every night at about 2 AM to make sure he is there. It is definitely a good thing to be exempt from job searching.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
MarlaRStevens (10-23-2017)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 AM
I speak from experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabba View Post
ok so my brother is in florence federal prison,and he was denied halfway house. does anyone know why this would happen?
The Halfway House probably declined him.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 AM

my guy got to the hwh on 12/29 - on 12/30 he was allowed his cell fon, only allowed to make calls and txt no pics or internet allowed.

He's been working on getting ID - his first time allowed out was on tue 1/3 - he still doesn't have his id there was issue, he was sposed to be allowed to go on 1/5 however they sent him to some other place for another orientation he was very angry to say the least - anyways w/that said earlier i the day on 1/5 the conslour pulled him in actin like he wasnt tryin to get a job lol when he was what i culdnt even leave till tue, jus to try to get id and that's been messed up, and today i was going to go and was approved but yous made me go to orientation...also she started drillin him on what his plans are, she said sorry she didnt realize that he's rlly just gotten there - she started askin a bunch questions what his plans are what's plan b and c and so forth - and then she stopped drillin him actin like he wasn't tryin to get a job, he was mad cuz he's tryin and been workin on resume over the fon w/his brother since he has no computer there! but i told him dont worry he's doin gud cuz he truly is....turns out maybe there was a real reason they were drilin him /like they may have been testing him?

around 8 or so on 1/5 the conslour pulled him into the office and said something bout his release being 12/25th for home confinement lol ummm he only got out of prison 12/29 but ok cool - so his release for home confiniment is at his parents - so now they were not prepaired yet figured at least 3 mo or so - so she's gotta get the land line put in and alla that - and they wanna do ahome inspection which makes no sense to him cuz his po already did that but anyways - it appears as tho if that all get's done by nxt week he will leave the hwh w/in 2 weeks of release - we are very happy for that!
He's been feeling like he doesn't belong at the hwh - that ya kno when ur at someones house and your not rlly wanted or welcome? well that's what he means!

this hwh allows all following:
1.cell fons
2. they can keep food in kitchen and fridge
3. ppl can bring the food / or other things to you they can't rlly visit but they bring it in and can talk for a few mins like 5-10mins
4. they have some meals that are catered
5. they have vending machines for them to buy drnks / snacks
6. basketball area

he has been adjusting well and has been ready to get a job from day 1 and culdnt wait to get on home confinement even w/all the rules for that!

What i find is crazy is the fact that he will pay for that "bed" until his "release date" while that same bed will get paid for by who know's how many other's in the mean time and how many other's before him! Seems CRAZY to me that they are getting so much money! but i guess they figure "the checkins" and alla that and the need for them to be approved for what passes to leave home confinment but still is crazy tome!

We are also happy bout this move quick cuz that will hopefully help when we try to get him to get approved to move from TX to PA -

Last edited by lovemipapi; 01-06-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Donation Award 

love - the HWH PO has to do a separate home inspection - which they will continue to do weekly while on HC. These visits are random and were often late - like 9pm.
The Following User Says Thank You to krogersrn For This Useful Post:
lovemipapi (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM

That explains that! lol
Thanks, i think he knew and expected they wuld once hes on home confinement i think he's jus anxious to get home and wantin that as quick as possible an less steps the faster it culd happen lol or he jus rlly didnt understand not sure which it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogersrn View Post
love - the HWH PO has to do a separate home inspection - which they will continue to do weekly while on HC. These visits are random and were often late - like 9pm.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 PM

They threaten all sorts of things to coerce inmates to go to HWH. It is NOT permissible to punish inmates for opting out of HWH, however.

HWH is not for everyone. Take a good hard look before you leap. I wish I'd stuck to my guns and maxed out instead of going to HWH, where I was sexually assaulted by a senior guard. They did not help find employment or housing -- in fact, they stood in the way of it. They were arbitrary, cruel, and punitive -- much more so than the camp (Alderson) I came from. They worked overtime to violate people, especially near the end of their HWH time. I was lucky enough to get other help to get out just in time. Many others were not. There were a couple of staff who gave a damn. Most were just jerks. On top of that, the chaplain misused her position to coerce women into attending her church, giving special privileges if they did, and she tried to convert people to her faith, even if they had religions of their own they were happy with. It was an illegal display of spiritual arrogance that was stunningly bad. The food was barely edible -- so bad that the federal inmates had to threaten filing complaints up the chain to get the director to get in things like fresh fruit that were required by her federal contract. I'd've given my eye teeth for a piece of the ubiquitous federal chicken or anything else identifiable as to what sort of food it was. If not for the donations of cereal by a faith-based NGO, breakfast would've been toast and juice daily. Diabetics were in real peril, diet-wise. It was awful. And, if you went to home confinement, in addition to what others have noted here, you had to come in to the HWH, sometimes daily, at least a few times per week, for itinerary creation on their system, meetings, etc., so if you lived any distance, it was a major hardship -- impossible for some. No, it is not for everyone. Look carefully before you leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBGStrap View Post
i know a few guys that refused hh. if u had 6 months hh, u would do those 6 months in the SHU for refusing a program. when a person would rather spend 23 hours a day in a room the size of a closet, it says a lot about hh.
i did 6 weeks hh, it sucked, but i thought it was better than prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarlaRStevens For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 PM

Get married on Day 1? Dream on! He'll be lucky if he is allowed out at all for much of the first week. I'd be surprised if the "counselor" would give him a pass to get married. Chances are, he'd have to qualify for home confinement first and get married at home. Even then, they likely will not be pleased and will find some way to take it out on him. Keep remembering, he is still an inmate until he is freed from HWH custody and supervision.

QUOTE=TommysGirl101;6518696]Thats a question Ive been wondering, and don't know where to ask, hope someone knows the answer[/quote]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarlaRStevens For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-24-2017), VBsWife (10-26-2017)