Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 PM

What crimes are prop 57
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,818 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbash100 View Post
Oh okay thank you for your response and as of now he's still in reception he hasn't even seen his counselor yet
He's getting way ahead of the game, then. And it's understandable, he wants to make this as quick and least disruptive to your family as possible. Unfortunately as a repeat offender, he's made some choices that have made that path a more difficult one. And it doesn't help that the rumor mill in reception is as bad, if not worse, than that on the yards. Staff and inmates alike can spread the craziest lines so it's always best to try to double and triple verify with outside sources.

Keep checking in here and let us know what the counselor says after he has his meeting. I do wish you the best of luck. Hang in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Isn't residential burglary still a violent crime? I haven't been beating the law books like I use to but I am still under the understanding that violent offenses do not qualify for prop 57. I understand he still can earn Milestone credits and other credits. A person convicted of a violent crime still does 80% of their sentence . The credits they earn only apply towards the 15% reduction. correct? Did I really miss something here with Prop.57?

80% of 10 years is 8 years minus county time and credits. Fill me in if I am wrong please. He will do 2-3 years before being considered for parole board hearing correct?

Okay my boyfriend parole date is November 2024 he is for robbery as well so wouldnít my dude date be 8 or 9 years as well. When I called his counselor she said he have to do 9 years and I speak to her last year. So how is it that if someone parole date at 2025 how can it be 8 years when my dude parole date is November 2024 I am lost. I am just asking thatís it
Old 10-22-2017, 08:47 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaye25 View Post
Okay my boyfriend parole date is November 2024 he is for robbery as well so wouldnít my dude date be 8 or 9 years as well. When I called his counselor she said he have to do 9 years and I speak to her last year. So how is it that if someone parole date at 2025 how can it be 8 years when my dude parole date is November 2024 I am lost. I am just asking thatís it

He could have an in-prison charge, he could have write-ups, or the system could be wrong. Take your pick.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 10-22-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
He could have an in-prison charge, he could have write-ups, or the system could be wrong. Take your pick.
No my boyfriend donít have no prison charge he would of told me. He havenít had a write up either. But I was just asking thatís it. I just know when I spoke to his counselor she told me that he have to do 9 years in prison it just not making sense. And I havenít heard from my boyfriend so I canít ask and on top of that his mom is sick.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,578 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaye25 View Post

First thing that needs to be determined is his full sentence with enhancements. If his total term is 10 years @ 80% he would do close to 8 years for a 80% total. If he has more then 10 years the amount of time will increase.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
He's getting way ahead of the game, then. And it's understandable, he wants to make this as quick and least disruptive to your family as possible. Unfortunately as a repeat offender, he's made some choices that have made that path a more difficult one. And it doesn't help that the rumor mill in reception is as bad, if not worse, than that on the yards. Staff and inmates alike can spread the craziest lines so it's always best to try to double and triple verify with outside sources.

Keep checking in here and let us know what the counselor says after he has his meeting. I do wish you the best of luck. Hang in there.
Okay thank you so much and I will definetly keep y'all updated because I'm going to be needing a lot of questions answered over time lol , but he also mentioned something called main line and only doing 60% what is that ? Lol sorry this is his first time in prison so I'm new to all of this . Ugh I don't know how I'm going to get through the next few years if it's only been a few months and I can't wait already I'm depressed all the time about it . My daughter is 5 and my son is only 1 years old ....
Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Default Prop 57, Part III, Regulation Implementation (California)

There is no 60% under Prop 57.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

Last edited by missingdee; 10-22-2017 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: 57 not 47
Old 10-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbash100 View Post
Okay thank you so much and I will definetly keep y'all updated because I'm going to be needing a lot of questions answered over time lol , but he also mentioned something called main line and only doing 60% what is that ? Lol sorry this is his first time in prison so I'm new to all of this . Ugh I don't know how I'm going to get through the next few years if it's only been a few months and I can't wait already I'm depressed all the time about it . My daughter is 5 and my son is only 1 years old ....
Mainline just means they've been put on a regular yard (not reception, SHU, ect). Some people use mainline to mean general population and not protective custody. But typically it just means a regular yard. It doesn't have any affect on the percentage you serve.

As missingdee said, there is no 60% level. There is a 66% but it's for non-violent offenders in fire camp and some min custody inmates.

He's going to hear a lot of theories on how to reduce his time. Usually he's getting it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it fro-- see where I'm going? lol Unless they have it writing, they can point to it in Title 15 (prison regulation bible) or you can find it online from CDCR, it's just a rumor.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 AM

My loved one is a violent offender and he maxed out his eprd due to write ups. He hasn’t gotten the 5% credit so he inquired about it and he told me he was told due to maxing out his time he’s not eligible for the 5%. Has anyone else heard this because my understanding was that this credit is from May 1 and on. He maxed out in 2016 and hasn’t gotten in any trouble since
Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_blank View Post
My loved one is a violent offender and he maxed out his eprd due to write ups. He hasnít gotten the 5% credit so he inquired about it and he told me he was told due to maxing out his time heís not eligible for the 5%. Has anyone else heard this because my understanding was that this credit is from May 1 and on. He maxed out in 2016 and hasnít gotten in any trouble since
It could be that the added time from his write-ups exceed the 5% he would have otherwise gained through Prop 57. Depending on how many days he's had taken beyond his max date (they don't actually hold him longer but it does count against potential gains from milestones and such) he might not get time off for milestones, either.

Dee technically owed about 3 years of time when she was released due to write-ups (won't get into how or whether that was really justified.) The only good news is, when she came out the gate, that time no longer applied to anything if I read Title 15 correctly.

His best bet is to make sure that he doesn't pick up new charges. As long as he doesn't, even if he gets more write-ups, he will release on his max-out date.

-E

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Marie_blank (11-11-2017), Patrickj (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Thanked 1,001 Times in 470 Posts

Sorry to have to ask this, but I lost track of what we are waiting for. If my l.o. earns milestone credits (which he should be eligible for), are they automatically going to be counted soon under Prop 57 or are we waiting for something from CDCR? I have read about the so-called waiting period, but I'm not sure exactly what it means or when it will end (if ever). By "automatically", I mean will he get a notice amending his discharge date? He has no writeups and has been in a voc program for about a year and a half. I did see his amended discharge date on the CDCR site after they changed the 85% to 80%. But knowing milestone credits is very important at this point. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
Sorry to have to ask this, but I lost track of what we are waiting for. If my l.o. earns milestone credits (which he should be eligible for), are they automatically going to be counted soon under Prop 57 or are we waiting for something from CDCR? I have read about the so-called waiting period, but I'm not sure exactly what it means or when it will end (if ever).
Any milestones he has earned after the Aug 1 date will be calculated into his time and show at his annual committee. Some counselors are notifying inmates of credits as they are earned, on a rolling basis if you will, but not all. But for sure at the time of his annual all earned credits from Aug 1 forward should be reflected in his calculation.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. (Move if needed) I have a question.
My husband called me last night saying that he got a letter saying that today, he would be getting an approved visit from a Parole Board Lawyer. Does anyone know why he would be visiting him? He's not due for release for another 2-3 years. I mean is that a good sign of him possibly coming home sooner? He did recently file with the courts for re-sentencing.

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:45 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fHisLife View Post
Hello,

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. (Move if needed) I have a question.
My husband called me last night saying that he got a letter saying that today, he would be getting an approved visit from a Parole Board Lawyer. Does anyone know why he would be visiting him? He's not due for release for another 2-3 years. I mean is that a good sign of him possibly coming home sooner? He did recently file with the courts for re-sentencing.

Thank you in advance.
Resentencing wouldn't involve the parole board so unless they classified the attorney wrong I'm doubting it would have anything to do with it.

Why did he apply for resentencing? What were the grounds? If it has to do with a gun enhancement, note two things. 1.) a judge is not obligated to resentence based on a gun enhancement, and 2.) a judge can impose a HIGHER sentence than they originally pronounced during a resentencing hearing. If he plead out, he throws away the benefit of the plea bargain in the process and is literally at the mercy of the court (and the court doesn't have to show mercy.)

Without knowing what his charges are, it'd be impossible to say if the lawyer has anything to do with Prop 57. Frankly, we'd need more information to even wager a guess at what's going on. If you have a little more background information available that might be useful. However, as there is a chance that this is Prop 57 related (the part about parole makes it potentially relevant,) I think this may be the best thread for the question, at least for now. If more information makes it clear that there's something else going on we can always move the posts on this topic if necessary later.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:34 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,578 Times in 783 Posts

The changes to the sections on gun enhancements that were changed by SB620.Do not go in to effect into Jan. 2018. Don't see where this would even come in to play for this attorney visit. Like it was said with the limited information being given by the OP. I am not going to try and read any tea leaves on why this attorney is coming to see the inmates.
Since the OP did say the inmate did file for resentencing. This could be the attorney representing him on this subject There is a error on the duct On the other hand the inmate should have received some type of information from his attorney introducing her/himself , That they are the attorney on record for this matter.
missingdee (11-15-2017)