Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Thank you for taking time to write a response. As always, both of your responses are very helpful.

I've been away for few weeks and I must say that those weeks were filled with frustrations and anxiety. My friends, co-workers, mentors, pastor, and my family cannot believe the things that went on during my session with this new clinical psychologists.

You seemed to have already anticipated what may have been occurring, so let me discuss with you by addressing some of your valid points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Ah, now it makes more sense why they might require you to see a therapist. Unfortunately, a psychiatrist isn't a therapist. Having been married to one for many years, that is one thing that people confuse between a Phd (psychologist) and MD (Psychiatrist). The PhD is the one giving therapy, and the MD is the one who can give meds, but they don't provide psychotherapy. So if your order is to have psychotherapy, seeing the psychiatrist isn't going to fly. A psychiatrist is most likely not going to be considered a therapist even though people like to use the phrase "my shrink".
You're right, and I kept messing up between clinical psychologist and psychiatrist even though I had dealt with both in the past 20 years. My current doctor is a psychiatrist, but he also holds certifications in various specialized fields. He does offer talk-therapy and he requires at least some session with or without any prescription; he has strict rules about prescribing without any session even a patient offers to pay for the session itself.

The special condition of my SR regarding my mental health treatment (albeit a huge mistake on my attorney's part) was not to impose anything new, but rather to encourage maintaining the treatment I already had with my doctor. But it morphed into something that is excessive, burdensome, and costly for multiple parties involved. At the moment, my probation office is fronting most of the bill while I pay a small portion.

Quote:
And of course, shouldn't anything that goes on with the therapist be confidential anyway, and she shouldn't be sharing that with your PO? I would think you have rights there (that is something I would definitely be checking with my lawyer on as I would definitely not let them harass me just because they think they can and get away with it).
One would reasonably expect such a level of confidentiality exists or should exists. But as @fbopnomore pointed out with his history, I, too, was required to sign a waiver that negated doctor-patient privilege.

As I mentioned previously, I was told to sign about a dozen release forms during my first or second session. I believe the forms were blank with standard verbiage for release of information; in other words, my court-appointed psychologists can fill in the blanks identifying the party to whom the information will be requested from. I asked her prior to signing each form what I should put in the blank and she told me, "Don't worry about it, I will fill those out."

Quote:
Your PO has the ability to get rid of any of the terms of the special conditions of SR. I know my husband's has already gotten rid of one of the ones on his and he hasn't even started SR yet. You should contact a lawyer (consider finding one that deals with post release issues) and find out if you can get the terms of your SR modified based on the fact that you are already under the care of a psychiatrist and don't need to see a different one. Or, if you do need to see another one, then at least get the judge's approval to pick one of your choosing and/or with agreement of the PO, not one chosen by the PO, especially if you have to pay for it.
I envy your husband. From your previous posts, it seems like his PO is relaxed.

After my most recent three sessions where things got rather contentious (mostly from her, I usually bite my tongue), I'm seriously contemplating hiring a lawyer to modify my condition.

Quote:
By the actions of this therapist and her saying "she can put you back in prison" if you don't do what she says to me makes it sound like she is not working in your best interests at all and you may want to find a way to consider reporting that to the licensing board at a minimum.
Yep, that's exactly what's happening. In the past, I had dealt with different types of mental health professionals - clinical psychologist, licensed professional counselor, mental health nurse practitioner, pastoral counselor, and psychiatrist. Many of them have challenged me during sessions with the end goal of benefiting me in the long run. Aside from my line of profession, I'm fairly used to answering challenging questions.

However, this psychologist is different. She doesn't ask challenging questions with any therapeutic purposes. She asks insulting questions. Out of the blue, she'd ask questions like, "You want people to think you're so smart?" or "Why did you make such a bad decision and created problems for people you say you deeply care about?" These are just few out of many. All I can say is that every time I walk out of the session, I feel like $h!+. I truly regret what I had done and the pain inflicted on those whom I care about. I didn't expect any hand-holding, but these sessions feel as if they were designed to reprimand me.

Quote:
If you think it's going to be your word against hers, then find out if your state is one that allows one way recording and if it is, then go in there and record her while you are in session and keep a record of it for later evidence since you never know when you may need it, or when it will be her word against yours. But remember, you can only record her if it's a state you don't need to give her permission. Some states you need to give permission.
This comment gave me hope because I think it was a good idea. So, I did some research. Unfortunately, the state where I'm currently at is All-Party Consent state.

I'm trying to devise a different strategy to protect myself. I am anxious and a bit paranoid because I fear that this psychologist may be recording inaccurate or false information about me and reporting to my PO, although I haven't heard anything from him, yet.

She says things that are blatantly wrong. And these are information that are publicly known (facts that can be verified easily) or knowledge pertaining to my field of profession (she presumes to know more than I do). First few times when she made certain outlandish claims, I tried to correct her and offered to provide factual evidence that will undoubtedly prove her wrong. But she refused to listen or accept any explanation while casting her doubts on my explanation. My friends have accurately described my sessions - "must feel like talking to a kindergarten." I have had better results with little kids.

Right now, I keep journals and detail everything that was said during each session. Since my last post, I was required to see her EIGHT times. Furthermore, I also share the contents of my sessions with my friends and family members. Confidentiality be damned, the therapeutic aim of these sessions went out the window.

Quote:
Patients and therapists don't always click and when they don't, they should most definitely seek a new therapist. Otherwise, the point of therapy is moot.
I cannot agree more.

Last edited by Jailhu; 03-10-2019 at 06:08 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailhu View Post
Thank you for taking time to write a response. As always, both of your responses are very helpful.

I've been away for few weeks and I must say that those weeks were filled with frustrations and anxiety. My friends, co-workers, mentors, pastor, and my family cannot believe the things that went on during my session with this new clinical psychologists.

You seemed to have already anticipated what may have been occurring, so let me discuss with you by addressing some of your valid points:

You're right, and I kept messing up between clinical psychologist and psychiatrist even though I had dealt with both in the past 20 years. My current doctor is a psychiatrist, but he also holds certifications in various specialized fields. He does offer talk-therapy and he requires at least some session with or without any prescription; he has strict rules about prescribing without any session even a patient offers to pay for the session itself.

The special condition of my SR regarding my mental health treatment (albeit a huge mistake on my attorney's part) was not to impose anything new, but rather to encourage maintaining the treatment I already had with my doctor. But it morphed into something that is excessive, burdensome, and costly for multiple parties involved. At the moment, my probation office is fronting most of the bill while I pay a small portion.

One would reasonably expect such a level of confidentiality exists or should exists. But as @fbopnomore pointed out with his history, I, too, was required to sign a waiver that negated doctor-patient privilege.

As I mentioned previously, I was told to sign about a dozen release forms during my first or second session. I believe the forms were blank with standard verbiage for release of information; in other words, my court-appointed psychologists can fill in the blanks identifying the party to whom the information will be requested from. I asked her prior to signing each form what I should put in the blank and she told me, "Don't worry about it, I will fill those out."

I envy your husband. From your previous posts, it seems like his PO is relaxed.

After my most recent three sessions where things got rather contentious (mostly from her, I usually bite my tongue), I'm seriously contemplating hiring a lawyer to modify my condition.

Yep, that's exactly what's happening. In the past, I had dealt with different types of mental health professionals - clinical psychologist, licensed professional counselor, mental health nurse practitioner, pastoral counselor, and psychiatrist. Many of them have challenged me during sessions with the end goal of benefiting me in the long run. Aside from my line of profession, I'm fairly used to answering challenging questions.

However, this psychologist is different. She doesn't ask challenging questions with any therapeutic purposes. She asks insulting questions. Out of the blue, she'd ask questions like, "You want people to think you're so smart?" or "Why did you make such a bad decision and created problems for people you say you deeply care about?" These are just few out of many. All I can say is that every time I walk out of the session, I feel like $h!+. I truly regret what I had done and the pain inflicted on those whom I care about. I didn't expect any hand-holding, but these sessions feel as if they were designed to reprimand me.

This comment gave me hope because I think it was a good idea. So, I did some research. Unfortunately, the state where I'm currently at is All-Party Consent state.

I'm trying to devise a different strategy to protect myself. I am anxious and a bit paranoid because I fear that this psychologist may be recording inaccurate or false information about me and reporting to my PO, although I haven't heard anything from him, yet.

She says things that are blatantly wrong. And these are information that are publicly known (facts that can be verified easily) or knowledge pertaining to my field of profession (she presumes to know more than I do). First few times when she made certain outlandish claims, I tried to correct her and offered to provide factual evidence that will undoubtedly prove her wrong. But she refused to listen or accept any explanation while casting her doubts on my explanation. My friends have accurately described my sessions - "must feel like talking to a kindergarten." I have had better results with little kids.

Right now, I keep journals and detail everything that was said during each session. Since my last post, I was required to see her EIGHT times. Furthermore, I also share the contents of my sessions with my friends and family members. Confidentiality be damned, the therapeutic aim of these sessions went out the window.

I cannot agree more.
I'm glad to see you are documenting all of your sessions. As I began reading your post, that was going to be my next suggestion - to keep an anecdotal record of everything that happens with her. Take as detailed notes as you can think of. Write the dates down and try to think of all the questions she asks. It may always come back to your word against hers, but good that you have it in case there's anything later. When your term comes up you can still file a claim against her.

I would still consider seeking an attorney to deal with this. It is just wrong.

Also, you should not have to go to a therapist, not of your choosing to be made to feel like sh*t. You already had your punishment. I would just try to be more reserved in what you do share with her and keep it cool. Try not to challenge her and if she challenges you just be as passive as possible. Use up the time by being introspective and not talking as much. Don't act like life is all awesome and don't act like it sucks either. Play it safe. You can let her know that you're getting by, working, and making amends. That your life is just the same routine day in and day out. If she hears the same thing over and over, there's not much she can do. It's not like she's following you, so if you keep it as bland as can be, then tough shit for her.

You can take control of the session and be prepared for her obnoxious questions since you know they're coming. Heck, spend the time talking about a book you read, a tv show you saw, or even a movie. That will kill the time. Or, like I said, if you lead a boring life and have nothing going on, then what does she have to quiz you about over and over? Don't offer what you don't need or want her to know. The more you offer, the more you give her to lecture or quiz you on and report to your PO.

8 sessions in a month seems excessive. What is the point of all of this? Does the terms of your SR state how often you have to go? I'm not familiar with whether or not one can change PO easily or not, but you may want to research whether it's possible or not, but again, I would seriously contact an attorney as you do have rights. I get that you guys are afraid that these people have you by the balls, but that's part of the problem. Because they know you know that, they think they can mess with your minds too and that is not always the case.
Old Today, 07:12 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,668 Times in 14,873 Posts

Im very sorry that this new *therapist* makes you feel like crap after every session.
And here I thought a prison term was supposed to be the punishment. I thought therapy was supposed to help you to make better decisions/choices.

Much like you, I would be very upset. And my big fat mouth would get me into more trouble.

So what I am gonna say right now I say out of concern for you.
Stop fighting this lady.

**"You want people to think you're so smart?"***
That is not a question. It does not require an answer. And I would not respond to it.
**Why did you make such a bad decision and created problems for people you say you deeply care about?"**

Ok THAT is a question. And the response "I dont know" IS an answer.
The more you resist them, the more pressure they will put on you to *comply* with whatever they want to.

Im on your side here. I truly am. But after seeing what some of my hubs parole agents said and did to him, try to go along.
Toward the end of my hubs supervision he got to the point.....they will do whatever they want to with me. I will still do what Im supposed to do, but Im not going to worry about them sending me back. They will do whatever they want to. I wont make it easy for them by messing up. But Im not going to kowtow to them either.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Today)
Old Today, 08:29 AM

Whoa! Sorry you're dealing with this! Sounds like a mess. Hopefully you get this all sorted. You should not have to feel like crap after your sessions, you've already done your punishment. I'm really sorry you are dealing with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Today)