Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) located in San Diego, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default RJD Newbie Q & A Thread

If you are new to this prison and you have any questions, please use this for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Please try to stay on topic!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Faith and courage
Donation Award 

Hi :-)
I am new, my man just got transfered to Donovan. Want to say hello to you all and wish you a nice day :-)
I will probably have lots of questions to ask - lol
Do they have down days during the week, where they are not allowed to use the phone?
And how often can they send out mail and what days are mail delivered to them?

I used to send my man envelopes and a pad of writing paper (100 sheet) which was fine to the facility, does this apply also for Donovan?
How is medical care for our men?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Woman View Post
I am new, my man just got transfered to Donovan. Want to say hello to you all and wish you a nice day :-)
Do they have down days during the week, where they are not allowed to use the phone?

I used to send my man envelopes and a pad of writing paper (100 sheet) which was fine to the facility, does this apply also for Donovan?
Welcome. Each yard is different regarding their down days. So it will depend on that. Their mail goes out Sunday night thru Thursday night and their mail is delivered Monday thru Friday. The mail room has a lot to be desired here so patience is key. You can send out a mail package to your loved one. Loose leaf paper only, yellow or white with 20 envelopes and you can send 2 books or 40 stamps. Of course you can send less if you'd like.
The Following User Says Thank You to mlcnkc For This Useful Post:
Winter Woman (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Visiting Question

I read through this thread and seen that the dress code has recently gotten very strict, however I was wondering how strict it is once you get in to visit?

I have had threats of visitation terminated merely because my finger rested on his wrist as opposed to his hand. My shirt is too loose, but can't wear tight clothes.

It seems one CO just has to find something every time to threaten me with. He even made mention that his sleeves were too short, and they provide him with the clothes... it is ridiculously strict.

The options are either Mule Creek Level IV or Donovan so I was just seeing if anyone had information on how they are inside visiting?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Faith and courage
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcnkc View Post
Welcome. Each yard is different regarding their down days. So it will depend on that. Their mail goes out Sunday night thru Thursday night and their mail is delivered Monday thru Friday. The mail room has a lot to be desired here so patience is key. You can send out a mail package to your loved one. Loose leaf paper only, yellow or white with 20 envelopes and you can send 2 books or 40 stamps. Of course you can send less if you'd like.
Thank you :-) this is most helpful. I used to send a pad where the sheet are glued in one end but will not this time.
Now I am sure he will get it. I have sent cards and letters, but he has not got any yet, so I am glad you told me mail is slow
Have a nice day
mlcnkc (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,619 Posts

Well I think our time has come, today he was told that he would be moved instead of getting the job he was just given. Someplace called norco or chino. He just asked for whatever place is closest since I visit every weekend.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Welcome to RJD.

What yard is your loved on?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
absolutely wonderful

Good Morning ladies.

My man has recently been transferred to Donovan and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I really appreciate it. Does anyone know the steps we need to take to be able to release his records to me? I'm guessing there is a medical release form right? Does he need to sign a power of attorney or get one notarized? His mom was initially his contact person, but she hasn't had contact with him in several years. We aren't married yet.....Ive been a bit of a lagger on my end (yikes seven years lagging!) any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkherbelly View Post
Good Morning ladies.

My man has recently been transferred to Donovan and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I really appreciate it. Does anyone know the steps we need to take to be able to release his records to me? I'm guessing there is a medical release form right? Does he need to sign a power of attorney or get one notarized? His mom was initially his contact person, but she hasn't had contact with him in several years. We aren't married yet.....Ive been a bit of a lagger on my end (yikes seven years lagging!) any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Yes its his medical release form. He needs to get that from his councelor. But I'm not sure if being his wife or not matters.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Faith and courage
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comehomesoon View Post
Welcome to RJD.

What yard is your loved on?
Hi
my man is in D yard.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Hi ladies does this prison house level 3 snys ? Inbox me

Last edited by Stevenjoanna06; 05-24-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylove77
Yes it does 2 yards are level 3 I believe
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM

yes there are yard d and b are level 3 sny and they are working on making a level 2 sny yard also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylove77 View Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks ladies for your help
Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 PM

My husband is in process of being transferred here and I have some questions... if you can help that would be great! How does the parking/bus thing work? If you go in early do you get to stay all day, or are you terminated? What about ordering food, we are coming from a place where there is only vending machines so any information about the food thing will be welcome. What are the SNY level 4 yards? Is there a patio and do you get to come and go on the patio or do you have to wait for the officers to open it? Now, about the visiting rooms themselves, do they trip on holding hands or your knees touching? Any answers will be welcome... Thank you!!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria139
My husband is in process of being transferred here and I have some questions... if you can help that would be great! How does the parking/bus thing work? If you go in early do you get to stay all day, or are you terminated? What about ordering food, we are coming from a place where there is only vending machines so any information about the food thing will be welcome. What are the SNY level 4 yards? Is there a patio and do you get to come and go on the patio or do you have to wait for the officers to open it? Now, about the visiting rooms themselves, do they trip on holding hands or your knees touching? Any answers will be welcome... Thank you!!
From our experience (not level4) you get to stay all day. There is a patio and when weather is right it's open and you come and go. Holding hands and knees touching seem to be fine.
For food there is a food guy that has specials up on the wall and he comes to the room and you can order then when he comes back you pickup. Specials are about 13.95 or something and usually good. There is fresh fruit and desserts. Really an entire list.

I think that level 4 has had terminations but I don't know how It is now that there are appts.
I'm sure someone else can add or answer the level 4 questions.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Default Medical facility at Donovan????

A friend of mine was told that he will be endorsed for Donovan due to medical concerns that cannot be met at his current facility. Does anybody have any information on the medical facility there to care for intermediate care inmates? Is there one, or is this just more smoke up out butts?

Another questions, inmates who recently transferred from RJD to where my friend is told him that there is a serious problem with the electricity (no outlets in cells for televisions/radios/etc) at RJD? If this is true, is it facility wide or just in certain areas?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Karren
Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Faith and courage
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karren Ann View Post
A friend of mine was told that he will be endorsed for Donovan due to medical concerns that cannot be met at his current facility. Does anybody have any information on the medical facility there to care for intermediate care inmates? Is there one, or is this just more smoke up out butts?

Another questions, inmates who recently transferred from RJD to where my friend is told him that there is a serious problem with the electricity (no outlets in cells for televisions/radios/etc) at RJD? If this is true, is it facility wide or just in certain areas?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Karren
Hi my friend, you know, as far as my man tells me there is no doctors on any yards at Donovan, even we were told this place got okey medical treatment for inmates, at least I know from his words there is no doctors at D yard. I asked if there were doctors in other yards and he did not think so.
The phone system works okey at D yard and I think electrisity mostly up and running, but there is still work going on I think. Maybe anyone else might have informatino about this. Will post a PM to you.
Valinda8184 (10-08-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 AM

this yard is just starting up, it went up last August believe me it was worst, when i went into the visiting room i was one of the frist ones, only 4 tables the first visit occupy, no patio bences, no vending machines, still no clock, food man came in just once a day, we still had the phone booth which was in the middle of the room for mainline to come in and visit and they did for a while, took calls and letter writing that i placed cus of course no one would get involved but got it up and running after that quickly. The inmates had no electricity in some of the cells,program sucks, no real jobs or school, it will take a couple of years to set up, i say this cus i came 8 yrs ago with the lancaster sny yard and we open up the first sny yard in Dononvan C yard and it took couple of years to get where it is now all set up. Medical attention has neverrrr been what is being told sorry to say.

Quote:
Hi my friend, you know, as far as my man tells me there is no doctors on any yards at Donovan, even we were told this place got okey medical treatment for inmates, at least I know from his words there is no doctors at D yard. I asked if there were doctors in other yards and he did not think so.
The phone system works okey at D yard and I think electrisity mostly up and running, but there is still work going on I think. Maybe anyone else might have informatino about this. Will post a PM to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to gothika22 For This Useful Post:
Winter Woman (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Faith and courage
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothika View Post
this yard is just starting up, it went up last August believe me it was worst, when i went into the visiting room i was one of the frist ones, only 4 tables the first visit occupy, no patio bences, no vending machines, still no clock, food man came in just once a day, we still had the phone booth which was in the middle of the room for mainline to come in and visit and they did for a while, took calls and letter writing that i placed cus of course no one would get involved but got it up and running after that quickly. The inmates had no electricity in some of the cells,program sucks, no real jobs or school, it will take a couple of years to set up, i say this cus i came 8 yrs ago with the lancaster sny yard and we open up the first sny yard in Dononvan C yard and it took couple of years to get where it is now all set up. Medical attention has neverrrr been what is being told sorry to say.
Hi Gothika
thank you for informing us. It is just so frustrating to know it is hard even impossible for him to get the medical care he desperatly need. I am glad things have improved so much since August last year blessings. Good to have some words of real info, it helps to know what we are dealing with.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Its just sad that they say this and say that and do something eles but you can change things if yu ready to battle with letters and calls, i private you with some info ok? You got me here while i am still at this prison and when i leave you can private me anytime if you need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter woman View Post
hi gothika
thank you for informing us. It is just so frustrating to know it is hard even impossible for him to get the medical care he desperatly need. I am glad things have improved so much since august last year blessings. Good to have some words of real info, it helps to know what we are dealing with.
The Following User Says Thank You to gothika22 For This Useful Post:
Winter Woman (10-27-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Hi everyone my babe just got transfered here , he should have arrived on Thursday he is now a level 1 ! how does the phone system work ? I really can't wait to here from him ! Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Not sure what yard he will be sent to......

Thank you for the information. As bad as it is I am still glad to have it.

I am going to hope that we can stop the transfer to San Diego - his medical issues are bad enough where he can't wait a couple of years for them to finally get their act together.

He has been hearing from inmates transferring from RJD that medical is worse then anything they have ever seen in any other facility.

I have a letter posted under the general discussion section of California prisons (no specific prison) about the medical/ADA care that CDCR is providing. I have gotten a few responses on it, but if any of you have issues involving your loved ones medical, please read it and contact me so we can work together to help put a stop to the misdiagnosis and mistreatment that our men (and women) are receiving at the hands of CDCR.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karren Ann For This Useful Post:
janicesg (09-01-2013), Winter Woman (10-27-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Semper Fi

Hi Ladies! My fiancée is being transferred here from H.D.S.P. this week ...which in itself is unheard of, nobody EVER leaves HDSP! So we are so grateful & blessed, plus I'm going from a 9hr drive to a simple 2hr drive and I have so many friends in S.D. from when I was in the Marine Corps, so I don't have to pay for a hotel. YEA!!!!

My question is will he have to do reception again? or something similar? I'm trying to drive down and visit as soon as I can.
We had just gotten our marriage packet approved and were scheduled to be married Aug 17, but obviously that's been put on hold. Does anybody know how the process works if we were already approved at one facility? Does that make the process any faster?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth's Girl View Post
Hi Ladies! My fiancée is being transferred here from H.D.S.P. this week ...which in itself is unheard of, nobody EVER leaves HDSP! So we are so grateful & blessed, plus I'm going from a 9hr drive to a simple 2hr drive and I have so many friends in S.D. from when I was in the Marine Corps, so I don't have to pay for a hotel. YEA!!!!

My question is will he have to do reception again? or something similar? I'm trying to drive down and visit as soon as I can.
We had just gotten our marriage packet approved and were scheduled to be married Aug 17, but obviously that's been put on hold. Does anybody know how the process works if we were already approved at one facility? Does that make the process any faster?
Thanks in advance
Well come RJD! The drive for you will be much better. Congratulations!!!

He will probably have to go thru orientation again. Maybe 2 weeks of that. Now not all of the inmates transferred here has to go thru orientation. My husband didn't when we got here over 4 years ago. It seems things are different for everyone.

As far as the marriage? You will have to start all over again. So when he gets here make sure he talks to his counselor and gets a marriage packet. Good luck.