Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Mississippi Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Don't Compromise Yourself

Default Need to know information when dealing with the Mississippi Department Of Corrections

Having a loved one enter the system can be very difficult to deal with, especially when you don't know the rules the DOC lays out. Because the information needed can sometimes be hard to find, I am composing this thread with links and information that is needed when you have a loved one inside. We are currently working on information for each prison. It takes some time so if you do not see the prison listed you need information on, please check back. Hopefully we will have all of the information needed soon.

Please check out our new sub-forum Mississippi Prison Profiles for information on each facility. You can get there by simply clicking on the name here, or you can find the link for it at the top of the Mississippi forum.

The information in these profiles may be updated at any time to give out the best information possible. Also if you have important information on proceedures, feel free to post that information in the thread for that facility.

Last edited by Amy; 09-22-2004 at 09:59 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
enoughgrace (07-06-2009), Ms.Magnolia (01-06-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2004, 01:34 PM

Default How to send money.

Money cannot be directly mailed to your loved one. There are two ways to send money: 1) by money order or 2) by western union. The correct way to fill out those forums can be found at http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Sending%20money.htm. Be aware of this though, while a money order can take as long as a week and a half to two weeks to be posted on the account for use, western union costs significantly more. It is around $12+ to send funds that way. It all depends on your situation how you should send them.

Also, there is a number that can be called to check funds sent. They do not give out account balances. They will ask for the inmate number, the amount sent and when it was sent. The only information they will give you is whether they have or have not recieved the money. That number is 601-359-6173.

Last edited by Amy; 08-01-2004 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-10-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Mail restrictions and rules

The Mississippi Department of Corrections website has a list of items that are not allowed so be sent by mail. Their list can be found at http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/inmate_mail.htm. However, this is not a complete list. There are other things that are not only not allowed that can cause your loved one further problems. One example I know for sure is a copy of a social security card. It is viewed by the DOC as attempted escape and it is very possible that he/she could be charged with it.

If anyone else knows of any other information like this please post it here.

Last edited by Amy; 08-01-2004 at 01:13 PM..
Old 06-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Exclamation Mail

things that have been confiscated or returned: church bulletin (copyright issue), more than two pages of internet material is not allowed in a mailing, copies, and address labels. I use labels due to illegible handwriting. He asked me to send a sheet to use as return address labels, not allowed.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Thanks for the info on the phone number, Amy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
The Mississippi Department of Corrections website has a list of items that are not allowed so be sent by mail. Their list can be found at http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/inmate_mail.htm. However, this is not a complete list. There are other things that are not only not allowed that can cause your loved one further problems. One example I know for sure is a copy of a social security card. It is viewed by the DOC as attempted escape and it is very possible that he/she could be charged with it.

If anyone else knows of any other information like this please post it here.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Donation Award 

Default Internet Pages

I was told 5 or 6. I think 5 internet pages per envelope. I have sent 6 per envelope and they went through at CMCF. NOW some facilities require the web site be cut off the pages. Not CMCF but MCCF it has to be cut off I think.

"I-Care"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAM311
things that have been confiscated or returned: church bulletin (copyright issue), more than two pages of internet material is not allowed in a mailing, copies, and address labels. I use labels due to illegible handwriting. He asked me to send a sheet to use as return address labels, not allowed.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:21 PM

This thread contains MDOC's policies on phone privileges.MDOC Policy & Procedure for Phones
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM

can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy someones time???
Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,587 Times in 3,621 Posts

Impossible and Illegal
Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Post MDOC Frequently Asked Questions

This link wil take you to MDOC FAQ:
http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Frequent...0Questions.htm

This Link gives info about Inmate records including time issues:
http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Records%20Division.htm

The most common question we get here in the forum is about time. It is at the top of MDOC FAQ list.

Other topics are covered as well. Please read through there as you will find answers for almost any day to day question you have.

Last edited by Mrs.Glamma; 09-28-2008 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 09-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Post Mdoc Inmate Information

Below is a link with more information for family members:

It includes General Family Information, the Inmate Handbook, How to Send Funds and Inamte Telephone.

I found this to be very helpful through the past few years and I hope you all read it.

http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/mdoc_inmate_information.htm

Old 01-02-2010, 01:07 PM

Default Dealing with MDOC my experience

The best ways I found when dealing with MDOC

Always to go through the change of command if you really want help.
They are generally unwilling to help if you don't. Getting help may mean calling all the way up the change and then some.

Keep a journal of every conversation you have with these people, date, time, name, title and conversation.

I suggest emailing first. I found you will generally receive a quicker response this way. It also gives you a record of your email and their responses, if any. (And the response can be forwarded to others in the change of command if need be) Give a reasonable time for response.(1-2 days if possible depending on circumstances) Save all emails to and from. Explain everything in detail and give a clear request of what you need. This especially helps when you receive contradictory info.

Start with the appropriate person that should help you. Example: case manager and work your way up the change of command. Ask the case manager for their supervisor and then call that person and repeat if need be.

If all else fails, call the appropriate state House of Representative or State Senator’s office for your district for help. They can usually put you in touch with the appropriate person who can help and I found they will try to help.

Hope this helps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lionessden For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Glamma (01-02-2010), trailrider731 (01-02-2010)