Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of New York. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Anyone has information on clemency?

Has anyone applied for clemency before? Is it worth it? Please provide me with more information.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,973 Times in 2,335 Posts

The only thing I know is what is posted on Docs website. I believe they have to have completed half their sentence. Wish I could be of help
Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 PM

They was just talking about clemency an gov Cuomo how he needs to do them he hasnt really done any in awhile
Old 12-29-2020, 03:46 PM

Because of Covid-19 ravaging the prison system, sentence commutation applications are now being reviewed and considered by DOCCS and Governor Cuomo's clemency bureau. It appears those applications getting priority consideration are the ones filed on behalf of inmates considered to be at high risk of suffering severe complications from Covid by reason of age or medical afflictions.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,973 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FXDWGI View Post
Because of Covid-19 ravaging the prison system, sentence commutation applications are now being reviewed and considered by DOCCS and Governor Cuomo's clemency bureau. It appears those applications getting priority consideration are the ones filed on behalf of inmates considered to be at high risk of suffering severe complications from Covid by reason of age or medical afflictions.
He only gave out clemency to 6 people. There are over 2k applications waiting and is doubtful he will get to them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-29-2020), Ms Sunny (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Donation Award 

We filed a clemency petition asking not for him to be freed, but to have the opportunity to go before the parole board and present a case for why he should be. It is a very exacting process and you must follow it as mandated. He has been notified that it is under consideration right now. He is older with health problems that make him more vulnerable to COVID, but it is also black and had a travesty of a trial, including an all-white jury, no expert witnesses and no forensic investigator. Lasted less than a week. You are not supposed to dwell on your legal case but I raised these issues because ethnicity is a big deal for consideration right now. I pretty much threw every noodle at the wall in the petition and we are supposed to get an answer within six months. With a conviction of aggravated murder, the chances are slim, but it is worth trying because he has served 30 years, which is beyond the term for "simple" murder. You can send a petition once a year and I have heard of prisoners being released after the third try. Good luck if you go this route...