Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Washington that do not fit into any other Washington sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Hi.... my boyfriend is in Shelton for 3 weeks. And I wonder is it true that Larch doesn't accept someone with Bipolar? (Can't really find anything on DOC website on it) Really appreciate it if someone can message me and educate me more about it. His mom can't travel far, and we're in LDR. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2020, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,606 Times in 3,745 Posts

Welcome to PTO, Rbjg.

I'm not sure if Larch doesn't accept someone with bipolar. My understanding is that most places have one big prison with a mental health ward and that would be where he'd most likely be sent. Have you tried calling the omsbudsman? He might have the information about which prisons have mental health units.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're family is going through this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Rbjg (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Welcome to PTO, Rbjg.

I'm not sure if Larch doesn't accept someone with bipolar. My understanding is that most places have one big prison with a mental health ward and that would be where he'd most likely be sent. Have you tried calling the omsbudsman? He might have the information about which prisons have mental health units.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're family is going through this.
Thank you again, for your response, No I haven't call omsbudsman, I don't really know what is that, I will find out more about it. And I will let his mom know, she can't travel far that's why she wanted to know if she can ask for him to be transfer closer to her and Larch is the closest.. and my LO hasn't speak to or assigned a counselor yet? He said 'they' told him he will be in Shelton for 4 to 6 months. Is that usually the range of time needed before they transfer him? Or maybe because of the Covid19 situation. Again thanks so much, really appreciate it. I don't know where to find information aside from DOC website and this forum helps alot. I'm super glad I came across this site, you guys are amazingly helpful and informative!
Old 08-15-2020, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,606 Times in 3,745 Posts

Typically, they spend 4 - 6 weeks at Shelton during intake.

Covid 19 is definitely causing problems with everything in DOC, so I would not be surprised if it is taking longer during intake. Many prisons have quarantined units which means they don't want to bring new people in unless they have been shown to have also been quarantined.

Or maybe he got confused between weeks and months.