Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,037 Times in 542 Posts
Default Disheartened by the state of our country

I'm relatively well versed in politics. I would classify myself middle ground on issues as a whole. I fear for our country. No one reads things. They take quick glances at headlines or read biased sources without reading the other side to make a comparison.

Social media has become the battle field. I'm just disgusted overall. Maybe it has always been this way and I'm seeing it differently.

It feels like it has become us vs them. When this happens, civility and humanity are lost. I'm not sure if I look at things with a new set of eyes since dealing with the prison and criminal justice system. I read papers differently. I look at the comments and see nothing, but viserol and anger.

Our country is sick. Maybe it always has been and now it is coming to the surface. I'm rambling, but disheartened right now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-02-2017), miamac (10-02-2017), patchouli (10-02-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I'm relatively well versed in politics. I would classify myself middle ground on issues as a whole. I fear for our country. No one reads things. They take quick glances at headlines or read biased sources without reading the other side to make a comparison.

Social media has become the battle field. I'm just disgusted overall. Maybe it has always been this way and I'm seeing it differently.

It feels like it has become us vs them. When this happens, civility and humanity are lost. I'm not sure if I look at things with a new set of eyes since dealing with the prison and criminal justice system. I read papers differently. I look at the comments and see nothing, but viserol and anger.

Our country is sick. Maybe it always has been and now it is coming to the surface. I'm rambling, but disheartened right now.
I share your concern. I'm awfully glad my daughter is out of the "education" system. She was getting a massive leftist indoctrination in many of her courses. The media has had an ax to grind for a very long time. As Mark Twain once said, “If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.” Formerly authoritative sources like the Washington Post, New York Times and major networks have been converted into sounding boards for the left. A sovereign state requires three things: a common language, secure borders and a culture. The left is working hard to weaken all of them.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,866 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Feeling the same way and having this discussion with friends. I'll keep my political views out of this post because regardless of the "side" you stand on, we are hurting. You don't get to a place like this because your citizens are happy, healthy and feel valued.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:15 PM

I felt something looming and woke up to the news in Nevada. There is so much ignored buried deep within us. Im not sure the answer, but something has to give.

I'm actually over the political party system. It just further divides as do all labels.

Last edited by onedayatatime13; 10-02-2017 at 03:18 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-02-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I felt something looming and woke up to the news in Nevada. There is so much ignored buried deep within us. Im not sure the answer, but something has to give.

I'm actually over the political party system. It just further divides as do all labels.
There's only one party: The Old Boy's Party. Demicans and republicrats are interchangeable. Nothing changes when one party replaces the other in power. The temporarily ruling party will do nothing to anger the other. Both know the other will be in power sooner or later. The only thing The Permanent Ruling Class cares about is holding onto their jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 05:54 PM

If you look at recent events....wildfires, floods, earthquakes, nuclear missiles, lawlessness in the streets(riots, mass murders, unruly protests) sounds biblical to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts

I might only point out that there is only one party that controls everything right now.

They control most of the state legislatures, they control most of the governorships, they control both chambers of Congress, they control the Presidency, and they control the Supreme Court.

One party currently in control of everything, and this nation is going to shit.

Just sayin'...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-02-2017), xolady (10-04-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
I might only point out that there is only one party that controls everything right now.

They control most of the state legislatures, they control most of the governorships, they control both chambers of Congress, they control the Presidency, and they control the Supreme Court.

Just sayin'...
I agree hence why I feel labels are only divisive in nature. I just didn't want this to turn into a whole political thread. To me, it is all an illusion.

I just look around and I don't know anyone who is truly happy. We are all broken in some way. Everything is tied to things and having more things.

People want to feel good and they are acting out, using drugs, drinking etc etc. I haven't sorted out of all my thoughts clearly yet. As they have changed and evolved, I find myself just looking at the world very differently. Maybe I was naive
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (10-02-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Donation Award 

Unhappy

It's definitely a trying time for this country. I don't know very many who are truly happy with things right now either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-02-2017), miamac (10-02-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
If you look at recent events....wildfires, floods, earthquakes, nuclear missiles, lawlessness in the streets(riots, mass murders, unruly protests) sounds biblical to me.
The main difference is 24/7/365 news coverage. No corner of the world it too remote to suffer a disaster that's not instantly reported.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
It's definitely a trying time for this country. I don't know very many who are truly happy with things right now either.
The right wants the 1950s back. The left wants Orwell's 1984.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
People want to feel good and they are acting out, using drugs, drinking etc etc. I haven't sorted out of all my thoughts clearly yet. As they have changed and evolved, I find myself just looking at the world very differently. Maybe I was naive
All of us with LOs inside are victims of the justice system. I think our constantly depressing situation tends to make us more negative about life in general.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Thanked 9,765 Times in 5,507 Posts

Quote:

Just sayin'...
It was going to shit LONG before the most recent electoral cycle. And the tax and spend practices used in too many places don't help matters either...

Then to wake up to the politarding in the wake of Las Vegas just confirms that nobody really wants anything other than their soundbites...
Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Then to wake up to the politarding in the wake of Las Vegas just confirms that nobody really wants anything other than their soundbites...
I don't know, CenTex. Even some of my conservative gun-owning relatives are talking about needing to crack down on the easy availability of semi-auto rifles now. This latest mass shooting has been a real wake-up call in some quarters... country music festival hits too close to home for a lot of folks.

I agree though. There's really little that can be done short of a full-out Australian-style ban on firearms to reign in the gun violence. Half-ass measures like Assault Weapon (cosmetic) Ban or Universal Background Checks (when so many of these guys pass every single background check already) isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-04-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,399 Times in 13,070 Posts

Nickel, I hope you are right. Sadly I doubt it.
All that will happen is a wringing of hands, a moment of silence, and a *our thoughts and prayers go out to injured, dead and their families*
Then its back to the BS as per usual.

Yeah. This one got to me. (vegas)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I don't know, CenTex. Even some of my conservative gun-owning relatives are talking about needing to crack down on the easy availability of semi-auto rifles now. This latest mass shooting has been a real wake-up call in some quarters... country music festival hits too close to home for a lot of folks.

I agree though. There's really little that can be done short of a full-out Australian-style ban on firearms to reign in the gun violence. Half-ass measures like Assault Weapon (cosmetic) Ban or Universal Background Checks (when so many of these guys pass every single background check already) isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid.
Converting citizens into subjects by disarming them only serves criminals, terrorists and governments that crave total control over everything. Look at events in France and England. The long ago disarmed Brits are now being told they're going to have to surrender their knives. The Founding Fathers were quite prescient when they conferred the Second Amendment on future generations. They feared threats from two different avenues of aggression against citizens: foreign and DOMESTIC. Governor Moonbeam of the Great State of Insanity (AKA California) just proved how injurious government can be by declaring his fiefdom a sanctuary state. In January 2017, CA's state and local debt totaled a staggering $1,300,000,000,000! CA's citizens are drowning in taxes. Much of the money being legally extorted from them comprises transfer payments to illegal immigrants! Is that the kind of blood sucking, future-destroying government we want in the rest of the states? The right to private gun ownership is the only real force preventing "our" government from eventually becoming a parasitic dictatorship.
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

Last edited by WaitingWilkes; 10-06-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingWilkes View Post

Converting citizens into subjects by disarming them only serves criminals, terrorists and governments that crave total control over everything. Look at events in France and England. The long ago disarmed Brits are now being told they're going to have to surrender their knives. The Founding Fathers were quite prescient when they conferred the Second Amendment on future generations. They feared threats from two different avenues of aggression against citizens: foreign and DOMESTIC. Governor Moonbeam of the Great State of Insanity (AKA California) just proved how injurious government can be by declaring his fiefdom a sanctuary state. In January 2017, CA's state and local debt totaled a staggering $1,300,000,000,000! CA's citizens are drowning in taxes. Much of the money being legally extorted from them comprises transfer payments to illegal immigrants! Is that the kind of blood sucking, future-destroying government we want in the rest of the states? The right to private gun ownership is the only real force preventing "our" government from eventually becoming a parasitic dictatorship.
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Except that nobody is talking about disarming citizens. People are saying that maybe allowing those with a history of violence or mental health issues and those on the terror watch list to purchase an unlimited amount of military style weapons isn't such a great idea. Unfortunately, any discussion of common sense reform to gun laws causes some on the right to start screaming about confiscation, which is not now and has never been part of the conversation. Most of the rest of this post is divisive hyperbole that is counterproductive to reaching any sort of reasonable solutions. Both sides do it, so we end up arguing all the time and nothing changes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rnsgaig For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-06-2017), sass4221 (10-07-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsgaig View Post
Except that nobody is talking about disarming citizens. People are saying that maybe allowing those with a history of violence or mental health issues and those on the terror watch list to purchase an unlimited amount of military style weapons isn't such a great idea. Unfortunately, any discussion of common sense reform to gun laws causes some on the right to start screaming about confiscation, which is not now and has never been part of the conversation. Most of the rest of this post is divisive hyperbole that is counterproductive to reaching any sort of reasonable solutions. Both sides do it, so we end up arguing all the time and nothing changes.
Don't believe for a moment that Nasty Pelosi, Chuck Tumor, Dianne Not-so-fine-stein et al aren't constantly searching for ways to ban privately owned firearms.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Social media has become the battle field. [...]
It feels like it has become us vs them.
Took less than a dozen posts for the thread to exemplify this. :/
I'm not advocating burying our heads in the sand, but for my personal well-being, I've decided to adopt a closer-to-home approach.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (10-06-2017), OnlyInTexas (10-14-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Took less than a dozen posts for the thread to exemplify this. :/
I'm not advocating burying our heads in the sand, but for my personal well-being, I've decided to adopt a closer-to-home approach.
That's one approach...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ostr...HCE4Ywj2lWf5M:
Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM

We're now more divided than we have ever been as a country. Republican Abraham Lincoln said "A house divided against itself cannot stand". We cannot help ourselves because we're too upset over what other people think. Its awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Don't believe for a moment that Nasty Pelosi, Chuck Tumor, Dianne Not-so-fine-stein et al aren't constantly searching for ways to ban privately owned firearms.
Again, name calling and assumptions do nothing to advance an agenda of protecting people's rights while keeping military style weapons out of the hands of those who might use them to indiscriminately slaughter innocent people. You have a right to have a gun. I have a right to stay alive. The suspected secret desires of various politicians on the right or left is not relevant to achieving a solution to those conflicting rights.

Hunters and those who want guns for protection do not need 40+ military weapons. Period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rnsgaig For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-06-2017), sass4221 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No sir, all three of them have read the Constitution. They know there are no ways to ban privately owned firearms available.

You might want to consider reading it for youself:

http://constitutionus.com/

And before you jump on my case. I'm a Republican and I support the 2nd Amendment 100%
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-06-2017), rnsgaig (10-06-2017), WaitingWilkes (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Not directed at you, but perhaps in support of someone reading this who might need it:

Crisis text line (anonymous): text NAMI to 741-741
Crisis chat (anonymous): www.crisischat.org
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255, www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org (opciones en español and for the deaf/hh)

Helpful article on dealing with political stress/anxiety.
"Since the election, I’ve heard from many listeners concerned about our country's fate. And the anxiety specialty center where I work has seen a big uptick in patients worried about the next four years. But even if you support the current administration, the combative, chaotic state of the nation isn’t great for anyone’s well-being."

Last edited by miamac; 10-06-2017 at 01:13 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-06-2017), sass4221 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
No sir, all three of them have read the Constitution. They know there are no ways to ban privately owned firearms available.

You might want to consider reading it for youself:

http://constitutionus.com/

And before you jump on my case. I'm a Republican and I support the 2nd Amendment 100%
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. How do you ban guns? Incrementally, like Washington DC, Chicago and other jurisdictions have.