Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,323 Posts
Default Federal regulators just cleared the way for your stamps to get much more

Federal regulators just cleared the way for your stamps to get much more expensive

"Seeking to bolster the ailing U.S. Postal Service, federal regulators moved on Friday to allow bigger jumps to stamp prices beyond the rate of inflation, a move that could eventually add millions more dollars to companies’ shipping rates from prescription drugs to magazine subscriptions.

The Postal Regulatory Commission announced the decision as part of a much-anticipated, 10-year review of the Postal Service’s stamp rates. It concluded that the post office’s mounting red ink from declining mail volume and costs from its pension and health care obligations hamper the ability to provide reliable mail and package service in the digital age.

The commission’s plan would give the Postal Service freedom to raise the price of its first-class stamp, now at 49 cents, by an additional 2 percent above the rate of inflation to help avoid bankruptcy and make needed multi-billion dollar investments, such as upgraded information technology and new delivery trucks."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...00000001557250
Old 12-02-2017, 12:40 PM

Thanked 5,820 Times in 3,040 Posts

This makes me sick!!! I spent more to mail a birthday gift to my sister then the gift cost!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,323 Posts

I'm amazed at all of the people who believe the USPS is obsolete and thinks everyone should use UPS/FedEx or do everything online???
xolady (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:56 PM

1) USPS is setting up the same process NYC did with cigarette taxes. Increased taxes decreased sales, which required higher taxes, which decreased sales, etc.

2) "Sin taxes" are levied on nuisances like alcohol and cigarettes to reduce consumption. That should work on postage, too!
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 544 Posts

Chicago (cook county) added a soda tax late this past summer of $.01/oz. It was such a bomb as they didn't expect people to actually go to Indiana to even buy their groceries, so effective yesterday (Dec 1), they already repealed it. Of course, it was still bringing in a ton of revenue. It definitely made me think twice about ordering pop in Cook County, but clearly they didn't think ahead. Restaurants were charging $3.50 for a glass of diet coke that probably cost them $.12.

Most people pay their bills online these days, so of course the post office has to do something to bring in more revenue. It's not really about prisoners. It just feels like it. I assume less prisoners are using snail mail as email is becoming more of an option anyway, even with the small cost of that ($.05/min).
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,126 Times in 14,207 Posts

The USPS is the only company that has had others tell them what they can charge.
Any rate increases have to be approved. Its also the only agency I know about that makes the company pay for retirement for employees, 75 yrs in advance. (basically pay for folks who might work there who are not even born yet)
I think they have not paid it tho, in the last few yrs cause they cant.

The business now isnt so much letters. Its parcels. Lots and lots and lots of parcels.

I also heard it will now cost 50 cents (at the end of Jan 2018) for a first class stamp.
So buy your forever stamps NOW. They will still be good for whatever price you pay now (sorry its been a while since I bought a book of stamps)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2017), patchouli (12-03-2017), xolady (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanked 5,820 Times in 3,040 Posts

I send cards for every holiday, so I spend a lot with the postage. Just about buy 2 books of stamps a month. I spend almost 1/2 my cell phone bill in postage!!!LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2017), sidewalker (12-03-2017)