Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM

Question When can he ask for a transfer?

How soon can my hubby ask for a transfer from ISP to a different prison that is closer to us? Blythe is just to far away. He called a few ago, and I asked him to ask his counselor to see if he could get transferred like to Kern or somewhere closer that is a Level 3 yard but the distance of drive time would be far less. I know Kern State Prison in Delano is a Level 3 yard. And only an hour and a half from San Luis Obispo county. It would make visits with him an me less of a hassle. I don't have the resources to go to Blythe, not with the children. As far as the children are concerned, they miss their daddy, but with school and their activities it would be a financial hardship for me to drive that far. And god forbid if my car broke down......
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 17,063 Times in 6,299 Posts

To the best of my knowledge transfer requests can be put in once a year at their review.

There are two prisons in Delano and they're often confused (they're across the street from each other, too, oy!). So just to make that clear:

Kern Valley State Prison is a Level 4, 180 yard and one minimum security, Level 1 unit.

North Kern State Prison is a common destination for reception after county and houses Level 1 and 3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (07-30-2015), Sarianna (10-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
To the best of my knowledge transfer requests can be put in once a year at their review.

There are two prisons in Delano and they're often confused (they're across the street from each other, too, oy!). So just to make that clear:

Kern Valley State Prison is a Level 4, 180 yard and one minimum security, Level 1 unit.

North Kern State Prison is a common destination for reception after county and houses Level 1 and 3.
So N. Kern State Prison is a level 3 yard. Well that one is closer to me. Well I guess I will have to wait for a year, but a year is far better then several. Don't they have a private prison across the street from N. Kern State Prison?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminsbaby View Post
So N. Kern State Prison is a level 3 yard. Well that one is closer to me. Well I guess I will have to wait for a year, but a year is far better then several. Don't they have a private prison across the street from N. Kern State Prison?
Yes, it does appear that North Kern houses Level 3s. The prison directly across the street is a state run facility, KVSP. I believe the private prison is Modified Community Corrections (or MCCF).

Edit: I did a quick Google Map to see where they are in proximity to one another and the CCF is very close to both NK and KV. Explains why I see people being redirected at visiting.

Last edited by miamac; 07-31-2015 at 09:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (08-02-2015)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 AM

Question When can he transfer to another prison??

So he has been @ ISP now for almost 2 years. He has never mentioned anything about a transfer, till a week ago, saying he could transfer to Tracy or Folsom? Why not Kern? How would you find out if he can transfer? He is still a level 3, and I kinda understand the points system now, although he couldn't really tell me in layman's terms, but I think I understand. His point level is between 36-39 which would make him where he is at a Level 3. Is there someone either at ISP or maybe Sac who could give me more specifics on a possible transfer? Any suggestions would be great! Happy Halloween by the way!!! Boooooooooooooooo~
The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminsbaby For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

There have been some major shifts in inmate housing involving Level 3s and 4s in the last six months. CDCR is anticipating a higher need for Level 4 beds in the coming year(s) and they are prioritizing moves for those who have dropped from a 4 to a 3 and have yet to be moved as well as those who are closer to the gate.

If he had his annual committee and they told him Tracy or Folsom, it could be because that's where they feel they have space. I believe he is able to make a request for a specific facility but they are not obligated to honor it. They will submit the transfer request to Sac who determines the facility, he'll wait for an endorsement and then wait for the move. Mine waited two years for the first move and about seven weeks for the second. It's a little unpredictable.

Also, remember there are two "Kern" prisons. I believe you are referring to North Kern as Kern Valley does not house Level 3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-31-2016), sidewalker (11-05-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Yes, it does appear that North Kern houses Level 3s. The prison directly across the street is a state run facility, KVSP. I believe the private prison is Modified Community Corrections (or MCCF).

Edit: I did a quick Google Map to see where they are in proximity to one another and the CCF is very close to both NK and KV. Explains why I see people being redirected at visiting.
Isn't Wasco a level 3 &4 prison aside from being Reception? I am in the process of doing his AB1291. Hope they will allow it. And soon. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:48 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Isn't Wasco a level 3 &4 prison aside from being Reception? I am in the process of doing his AB1291. Hope they will allow it. And soon. Thanks for your help!
I don't think they house 4's outside of reception and it looks as though the medium security housing is limited:

A 400 bed medium custody facility houses general population inmates to help support and maintain the reception center.

I'm not certain, but I think CCI (Tehachapi) houses Level 3 as well as PVSP.

Last edited by miamac; 11-19-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Old 11-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,258 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:

Yes, Wasco, Solano, Lancaster, Pleseant Valley, N Kern (Delano),Corcoran and CCI house level 3. Wasco doesn't house level 4. CCI Tehachapi is sny, I believe the entire facility is. I'm not 100% percent but last I read it was. There are others.
I mentioned these as I know in reading past - posts from you, you are in San Luis Obispo County.

Yes Mia your correct.

Good luck Benjamin's baby.

Last edited by Nica; 11-20-2016 at 04:58 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nica For This Useful Post:
IzzyLouWho (11-21-2016), miamac (11-20-2016), Sarianna (11-21-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Donation Award 

So if he puts in a request to transfer to a closer prison, Sacramento might decide to transfer him to a prison that is even farther away if they want to? Or can he change his mind and stay at ISP if Sacramento has decided to transfer him somewhere farther away?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita88 View Post
So if he puts in a request to transfer to a closer prison, Sacramento might decide to transfer him to a prison that is even farther away if they want to? Or can he change his mind and stay at ISP if Sacramento has decided to transfer him somewhere farther away?
Typically a move happens because it suits CDCRs interests and not ours. In other words, you can put in transfer requests til the cows come home but until they have a need to move you, it's not going to happen. Sometimes that happens really quickly, and that's awesome! But the downside is, they do decide where you go. It seems like they try to accommodate requests for inmates who don't have disciplinary issues. However, I have seen folks go to facilities that they did not request. :/