Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 3 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 3 Facilities Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Avon Park CI, CFRC-E, CFRC-Main, CFRC-S, Desoto Annex, Florida Women's Reception Center, Hardee CI, Hernando CI, Lake CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Marion CI, Polk CI, Sumter CI, Zephyrhills CI

Old 10-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Coast2Coast PTO Member

Default South Florida Reception Center (SFRC) Q&A

South Florida Reception Center (SFRC)
o P. O. Box 02-8538

14000 NW 41st Street
Miami, Florida 33102-8538
o (305) 592-9567
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/105.html
o FAX: (305) 470-5628
o E-Mail: sfrc@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office - (305) 592-9567
Directions: Take Turnpike south, exit 41st Street, right at light and facility is about two miles on left. Or, take SR-826 (Palmetto Expressway), exit 36th Street West (which becomes 41st Street) and facility is about 6.2 miles on left.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1985 to house male inmates. It is one of three reception centers for male inmates. SFRC-South, Hollywood Work Release Center, Pompano Work Release Center, Miami North Work Release Center and Opa Locka Work Release Center are under the supervision of SFRC.

Total Staff (on 8/04): 504 (not including SFRC-South Unit)

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units - 2

Cell Housing Units - 9
Room Housing Units - 0
Total Capacity - 1,100
Other Information:
Population Gender - Male

Adult or Youthful - Adult, Youthful (14-18, 19-24)
Facility Level - 6
Self Contained Housing Units - Yes
Designated Confinement Space -Yes
Custody Grades - Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades -1 through 4
Psychological Grades -1 through 5
Wheelchair Capabilities - Yes
Hearing Impaired Capabilities - Yes
Academic Programs:
None at this time.
Vocational Programs:
None at this time.
Wellness Education Services:
Fresh Start Smoking Cessation

Wellness Education
Library Services:
Library Program

Major Law Collection
Substance Abuse Programs:
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous
Screening Assessment Center

Chaplaincy Services:
Chapel Library Program

Prison Fellowship Monthly
Religious Education
T.D. Jakes Satellite Location
Kairos Week-ends
Worship Services
Institutional Betterment Programs:
None at this time.
Other Ongoing Programs:
Band Program

Transition Skills Program

P.R.I.D.E. Programs:

None at this time.
Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation - 3 Squads

Public Work Squads - 3 Squads
Interagency Community Service Work Squads - Yes
Contracted Work Squads - 1 Squad

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33’s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and don’t pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures – Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby
Attached Images
File Type: gif sfrc.gif (26.4 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by 1nonlyTeRe; 10-19-2004 at 08:50 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Default South Florida Detention Center

Does anyone know anything about this facility? My brother will be offered a plea bargain and very likely he's going to end up here. Just wanted to know what it was like. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Missing my hubby

I don't know if your talking about the same one but my hubby is at South Florida REception Center, here in miami. Let me know if this is where your talking about. I have been going there for 8 months so I can help you with any questions. PM anytime.
Carol
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM

Question South Florida Reception Center

Hi. My brother was moved out of Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office Facility on Monday and will be at the South Florida Reception Center. Can anyone tell me approximately how long he might be there, what it's like, are they locked up all day long, anything of that nature? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM

SFRC is not that bad they are not locked up all day and well it's pretty easy to deal with compared to other places, if he is getting transferred to another place it might take 2 weeks to 1 month but it really depends on his staus and what time he need to serve.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Anthony's love

south florida reception center is not so bad...you would have to fill out a visitor application and send it to SFRC...usually it takes at least 1 week to 1 month to be approved. You can call classification there about it or if you talked to your brother, have him send you an application. They are not locked up all day at all. They get to go outside at rec and go to canteens and things like that. You can have visit with him in person from 8 am to 3 pm and have breakfast and lunch together and even take pictures as well. It is relatively low key there. Keep clothes completely covered, you can wear sandals unless theyv'e changed the rules. I would suggest being at the center at 7 am so you can get in early and spend the entire day together. Hope this helps at all. You can PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Jeremys Wife

You can not go see your brother while he is at reception. He has to be at his perm camp before you can see him.

Angel and Jaydon Nicolodi

Old 05-22-2006, 11:51 AM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

I visited James while he was at the reception center. Why can't ya visit at the reception center? If you get approved while he's still there, you can visit. Just call that morning cause they never know when they will be moved just in case if you have to drive very far. Thats what they told me.

~Spikeswife~

Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Graphics Volunteer

yeah i always thought you could visit at the reception center...

also depending on how much time you have and how much time you spent in county waiting on the "blue bird" you might not even leave the reception center before your time is up.

i think they send you back to the reception center before your approved for work release too
Old 08-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Only God knows my pain!
Donation Award 

My son is now at the S. Fl. Reception Center. I talked to the classification officer today, he said that my son could be there 2 weeks to 2 months before being transferred. They cannot have visits for 5 weeks, but once they have been there 5 weeks, anyone who has been approved can visit.

The officer said we could get the visitation form off of the web but not to mail it in until my son told us we could.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Son transferred from CFRC to SFRC

What does that mean? I can only assume that it is a stop over to his permanent camp. So he could be moved anywhere. Why would they take a kid from Central Florida and move him to South Florida? We live in South Carolina so I guess the trip to see him will take us an extra day. I hate this system!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Only God knows my pain!
Donation Award 

I'm not sure why they would transfer from CFRC to SFRC. When my son first went it, he was at SFRC and I know that not only is it a reception center but it is also a regular prison. You can call SFRC and ask to speak to his Classification Officer and they will tell you why he was moved.

Incidently, we live in South Florida and my son was put into a North Florida prison, takes about 5 hours one way to get to him. They (the system) don't care how far away family is, it is not a consideration.

Hope this helps.

God bless!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 AM

If your son is at SFRC. He may be better off.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:07 AM
love of my life

Default SF Reception Center

Hi everyone - i got a call from vine yesterday which means my BF has left county and gone to SFRC. Can anyone tell me what happens there?
when will he be able to call or write?
how do i put $ in his account? i dont have his DC # yet and when i call the facilities they tell me he is not in the system yet.
Also in county jail he had a negative balance in his commensary. does that mean that now that i put $ in his account theyll take out the $ he owed before? and last question... how much $ should i put in his account?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:29 AM

well i will try to help you out the best i can... my husband was at the south fl reception center, and what happens there is well they evaluate him and see where he is gonna get transferred to be his permanent place.you can put money in his account through western union, but you do need his DC # try looking him up on the web site. and yea since he has a negative balance in his commensary they will take out the money he owed before. and send him as much money as you want....
Old 03-31-2007, 12:11 PM

Realistically, how long do you think it will take before an inmate can get his phone list approved so he can makes calls? My boyfriend was transferred to the SFRC on Wednesday, March 28th. Within 3 days his information was posted on line, so I was able to get his DC# to be able to send letter, but was wondering how long before he can place a call.

I called the SFRC and was given a stock answer of FIVE WEEKS...as the inmate goes through processing for three weeks, etc.. I just can't imagine it would take that long. Anyone have any experience here?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM
dangerously in love

You can find his DC# online. He is given a DC # from the first day he's there even before his evaluation is done. That takes a few days. Orientation is suppose to be something like 30 days. You'll have to figure out how to get MCI going, but you can't do much until he makes his first attempt at calling you. The account he had at county is different from the account he has now that he's in the prison system. One doesn't affect the other. When he was at county you used his arrest #, now you use his DC #. The mail. It seemed to me like they held up all the mail for 2 weeks because I started writing mountains and mountains when he first got there because I knew it would be tough on him. I got a letter, then a post card saying how he'd been there 2 weeks and hadn't heard from me and was wondering if I had turned my back on him. Then a week later they gave him everything. Write he'll get it. I put 100 dollars into my fiances account the day after he got to the reception center even though it took a while before he was able to access it because they had to set up his account and activate his card. Besides all the commissary at county, he had to leave behind. All the stuff at county was taken away--sweaters and all, then they had to buy stuff from DOC all over again.

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Default S.F.R.C (South Florida Reception Center)

Does anyone know the mailing address there? My boyfriend just got sent there and i want to write him asap but i cant find the address anywhere..
Old 07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Here you go. All the address fro all the prisons can be found on the FLDOC web site. Hope that helps.

Take care and God Bless,
~SPIKESWIFE~

South Florida Reception Center
14000 NW 41st Street
Doral, Florida 33178-3003
(305) 592-9567

Chaplain's Office
(305) 592-9567

Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM

thank you soooo much. i couldnt find it anywhere. im blind lol
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Sfrc

whats the shortest and longest time they can stay in there? and how do the determine which perm camp they go to?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM

The longest is the entire length of the sentence. The reception centers each have a place where they keep certain inmates for medical reasons, generally, though not always.

But usually it takes about 3-6 weeks to finish up everthing there and get assigned to and have a bed in a regular facility.

I am aware of a rare case in which the stay was two weeks.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Question S.F.R.C. no air condition

Does anyone know of the situtation @ SFRC having no a.c.? That sounds horrible because 1 we are in south florida and 2 it's the summer. Is this an onging thing?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 07:06 PM
ride or die, almost done!

Unhappy

I am 99% sure that largely the state of Fl does not aircondition thier Facilities. They have large fans and that is it. This is information i found on the FLDOC site about the subject of a/c in the facilities =
Only ten of the major state-managed prisons in Florida have air-conditioning in some portion of the facility housing inmates, and many of these are located in South Florida. The following institutions have air-conditioning in the areas indicated: Lancaster C.I. (confinement area); Union C.I. (13 dorms); Youthful Offender institution Brevard C.I. (all dorms); Lake C.I. and Zephyrhills C.I. (a/c installed in Mental Health areas in 1997 at Lake C.I. and 1995 at Z.C.I.); female institutions Broward C.I., Hillsborough C.I. and Homestead C.I. (all dorms); Dade C.I. (Mental Health area) and Charlotte C.I. (Mental Health area air conditioned in FY 1994-95) The five Florida prison facilities built under the privatization contract are also air-conditioned.
I know it is aweful to think of our guys having to wear those uniforms in the Fl summer heat and with no a/c to come in to, but unfortunatly that is how it is. Sorry hun

Last edited by tom's honey; 07-14-2007 at 07:08 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM

No they do NOT have air conditioning and it is hell. My husband tells me this is the most terrible thing. Its about 110 degrees in those brick buildings. I would think it would be considered at health hazard.