Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:49 AM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 632 Posts
Default If he got 18 months, how many days does the BOP consider a year?

I've been a little crazed since my husband went in on Tuesday, but just wanted to say yay that you are under the 300 mark!

Question - since my husband hasn't met with the counselor or had his orientation yet, we don't know his release date, so are just going off his sentencing for our countdown, which is fine because we would rather error on the side of caution at this point. But, here is my question. If he got 18 months, how many days does the BOP consider a year? I used 365, but when I multiply that by 1.5 I get 547.5 days and he obviously can't serve 547.5 days, so I'm trying to figure out worst case scenario what I use for his countdown. Is it 548 nights? Is it something less? The good news is yes, I assume it will go down drastically when good behavior is factored in after he meets with these other people, but that won't be for a few weeks, and we don't want to put the cart before the horse, so if you know the actual numbers to use, I would appreciate it!!

At this rate, I will just be happy when it is in the 530's

Or, I guess I can consider 18 months as 78 weeks, and come Tuesday, we will be down to 77 weeks and that sounds a lot better than 540.5 days!!!

He fortunately is managing ok and hoping to be able to watching a full day of football today!!

Last edited by patchouli; 12-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: removed quote for continuity
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I've been a little crazed since my husband went in on Tuesday, but just wanted to say yay that you are under the 300 mark!

Question - since my husband hasn't met with the counselor or had his orientation yet, we don't know his release date, so are just going off his sentencing for our countdown, which is fine because we would rather error on the side of caution at this point. But, here is my question. If he got 18 months, how many days does the BOP consider a year? I used 365, but when I multiply that by 1.5 I get 547.5 days and he obviously can't serve 547.5 days, so I'm trying to figure out worst case scenario what I use for his countdown. Is it 548 nights? Is it something less? The good news is yes, I assume it will go down drastically when good behavior is factored in after he meets with these other people, but that won't be for a few weeks, and we don't want to put the cart before the horse, so if you know the actual numbers to use, I would appreciate it!!

Or, I guess I can consider 18 months as 78 weeks, and come Tuesday, we will be down to 77 weeks and that sounds a lot better than 540.5 days!!!

He fortunately is managing ok and hoping to be able to watching a full day of football today!!
I would do 30 x18. It will be a few days shy. Times that by .85. ( I believe Bop is 85%)
540 x .85= 459

45930= about 15 months
I believe you are looking at March 2019

Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I would do 30 x18. It will be a few days shy. Times that by .85. ( I believe Bop is 85%)
540 x .85= 459

45930= about 15 months
I believe you are looking at March 2019
Yeah, supposedly the HWH/HC eligible date is around Feb 5, 2019 and the release date (assuming good behavior) is around March 25, 2019, but he doesn't want to take anything for granted, so until he meets with someone and gets a real sense that he can come out with good behavior he's going with the full 18 months, which is I guess June 5, 2019 (he went in on Dec 5).

He is leaning towards staying through his HWH time since it may only be 48 days, but will know more after he meets the counselor and obviously after he's been there for awhile and acclimates. He has to get through the winter too, as that may be so bad that he may want to come home, although Feb-March there isn't going to be much different than Feb-March here.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,258 Times in 15,262 Posts

rockchalk1, I moved your post to the Federal forum as a stand alone thread so as not to hijack someone else's countdown

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

http://federal-prison.org/sentence-calculator/
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post

My husbands day was on the BOP website. It has his time already served and his good time already deducted. You might want to look on there and maybe it will give you a better idea of a date. It showed up about a week or two after he went to his final designation.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkjonaas For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:36 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,533 Times in 11,945 Posts

The bop counts actual days, including leap year, and then subtracts 47 days for each year of the sentence (70.5 days on a sentence of 18 months). I have no idea how they count, or more likely ignore, the .5 days. You can decide by working backwards from his release date on the bop inmate locator.

The amount of HWH time, if any, he is offered will be determined by his bop unit team case manager. From what is happening throughout the prison HWH system (cancelling HWH contracts and shortening the amount of HWH time offered), the length of time is being reduced significantly for many prisoners as a "cost saving measure".
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjonaas View Post
My husbands day was on the BOP website. It has his time already served and his good time already deducted. You might want to look on there and maybe it will give you a better idea of a date. It showed up about a week or two after he went to his final designation.
Unfortunately, it is not up there yet. Tomorrow will be one week down. Of course if I go by worst case scenario, 18 months is 78 weeks, so we are down to 77 weeks after today! That sounds better than 540 days!!

The counselor is on vacation for 10 days. I figure with the holidays staff is light. He told me there is only 1 counselor. The facility is only budgeted for 475 people but they're up to 700 due to recent closing at Pekin.

Of course, maybe that is also a sign that there are a ton of people that shouldn't be in there or that there is a problem in general with our criminal system?

As I just told someone else, his two biggest complaints are the cold (even though he is getting used to it) because he has to go between buildings outside, and the lack of privacy. The two best things though he said are the food is good (pretty funny) and all the prisoners are helpful. He has yet to complain about being bored. He got to watch football all day yesterday, although the experience was not as typical as at home..it was very colorful with the language. I worry how tainted he will be and emotionally tainted as well when he comes home, but come on, this is prison, it sounds like I thought it would, a bad overnight camp. Who is ultimately being punished? The taxpayers are paying for this, and not necessarily the felon (my husband) but it hurts the family. Ridiculous. There seem to be worse things they can do than to send my husband to prison and break up a family.

Sitting in prison doing nothing is useless. He doesn't have a job yet and hopefully will when this counselor gets back from vacation, but who knows what kind of backlog there will be by then. The education jobs unfortunately are filled. They should put some of these guys out in the local community to perform some sort of volunteerism.

I did hear a funny story about Pekin and what they told my husband about one reason it was closed to turn into a women's prison, but not sure I really believe it because it wasn't only a camp. Apparently the guys were jumping over the gates to have sex with their girlfriends (and probably other women) and the facility just couldn't control it, so they finally just closed and moved them all to Duluth and Yankton. Who knows, but funny story to tell anyway. Lol.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:25 AM

My thought is they would round down, not up. Big penalties if they keep you over your sentence, even by just one day. When your release date falls in a weekend, they always release you the Friday before (as opposed to the Monday after). So maybe this will give you an indication on how they would handle a .5 day multiple.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 AM

FYI - The 47 days/year of "good time" doesn't kick-in until after 1 year served. So, I'd knock about half of that (23 days) off of your hubby's sentence.

Trust me, after spending over 4 years down and now out, 18 months is a drop-in-the-bucket and will go fast. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it is true.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I "WON" vs. the Feds given that I had under a 10-year sentence. The Feds swing for the fences in sentencing, so trust me, your hubby got a VERY GOOD deal.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,533 Times in 11,945 Posts

If a federal prison sentence is one year only, no good time is earned, period.

If the sentence is one year/one day or longer it will earn the full 47 days of good time for each 12 months of the prison sentence. 18 months will earn 70 1/2 days of regular good time without the reduction that CAL1927 posted. One year/one day will earn 47 days of regular good time.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
FYI - The 47 days/year of "good time" doesn't kick-in until after 1 year served. So, I'd knock about half of that (23 days) off of your hubby's sentence.

Trust me, after spending over 4 years down and now out, 18 months is a drop-in-the-bucket and will go fast. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it is true.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I "WON" vs. the Feds given that I had under a 10-year sentence. The Feds swing for the fences in sentencing, so trust me, your hubby got a VERY GOOD deal.
Yes, we are very grateful thank you. They even counted the day he was arraigned (which was about a 1 hour trip to court where he stood in front of the judge, had a dna swab, was finger printed and gave his passport) as 1 day served. We learned this when he got his letter last week laying out his various eligible release dates for good credit time and what they refer to as Home detention eligibility, which were assuming is Home confinement since the case manager told him he has no reason to send him to hwh, although we arent getting our hopes up it looks like he can be out as early as 1/31/19 which would be just under 14 months. The guidelines for him were 57-71 months and they did want the 57 months but there were a lot of problems with the case and the judge knew it. My husband took responsibility for his actions, paid full restitution, lost his career, and just wanted to move on. Not proud of the mistake my husband made but he took ownership of it unlike others in his case and as hes seen unlike so many others in prison.

It is hard to believe that it has been 5 weeks since hes been gone already. I finally see him this weekend!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-08-2018), Lytebryte (01-15-2018)