Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Son needs new glasses but not having any luck

Hi. I'm hoping somebody here may be able to help me. My son came in to VSP with his glasses he had in county. The arm has broke on one side (he has it tied on somehow, they are all cock-eyed looking) and his lenses are so scratched he can barely see through them. He cannot read without them. He is young and not the greatest advocate for himself. He put in a request and they saw him and told him he will have to request a repair on the arm of his frames but that he cannot get new glasses because his prescription is still close enough to his current glasses. They did not care that they are so scratched up (cheap plastic lenses!) that he has difficulty reading. Are there any channels to pursue to get this resolved? I'm worried he maybe just doesn't have the right info. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,398 Times in 6,959 Posts

I'm not sure about VSP specifically, but if you're willing to purchase the glasses from an outside vendor you should be able to send them in. You would just need a copy of the prescription from medical.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 AM

Thank you for replying. Do you have any idea how I would get that? He says they do not allow glasses to be sent it, but as I said before I do not know if he has the correct info. Of course I'd be willing to pay and send him some in. His prescription is expired now so I can't actually order them myself without a current one.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 AM

My husband saw the eye doctor last year and your son is correct. They do not allow glasses to be sent in anymore. He would have to order them from the infirmary. They are state issued. That is probably why they are telling him he's not eligible.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjax View Post
Thank you for replying. Do you have any idea how I would get that? He says they do not allow glasses to be sent it, but as I said before I do not know if he has the correct info. Of course I'd be willing to pay and send him some in. His prescription is expired now so I can't actually order them myself without a current one.
My husband is in a CDCR facility and needs glasses. We discussed it and he was under the impression he could get a copy of the prescription from medical, mail it to me and have them sent by the company (I would use an online company). When I speak with him next I will ask if I'm understanding that correctly. I'll update after.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
winjax (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by His_Queen13 View Post
My husband saw the eye doctor last year and your son is correct. They do not allow glasses to be sent in anymore. He would have to order them from the infirmary. They are state issued. That is probably why they are telling him he's not eligible.
Well, shoot. Maybe we're wrong, then. Do you know when they stopped allowing them to be sent in? :/
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 AM

I believe it was just last year :/ we've always mailed them in the past, but this time they said no. He wasn't too happy about their options either.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Oh, man. We've not tried yet so I'll bring it up again with him, have him ask around. I suppose this could be per-facility, but if it's CDCR policy then we're stuck, eh?

Good information sharing. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Oh, man. We've not tried yet so I'll bring it up again with him, have him ask around. I suppose this could be per-facility, but if it's CDCR policy then we're stuck, eh?

Good information sharing. Thanks!

Very true. He was in Soledad at the time. Hopefully things have changed back, you never know.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Well, shoot. Maybe we're wrong, then. Do you know when they stopped allowing them to be sent in? :/
Sorry miamac, I couldn't respond to your reply above as I have not had 25 posts and there was a link in it. Odd. But thank you and looking forward to hearing what you find out.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:52 AM

In my experience there is the "written policy" for the state, how the facility interprets / enforces the policy, and then what you can get away with.

I had a penpal in the women's prison at Chowchilla that needed a pair of glasses replaced. I was able to buy a cheap pair of glasses, then send them to the "medical officer" and he gave them to the inmate.

The biggest hassle was getting the the glasses as there was no prescription. But she knew what the correction was, and it was a simple diopter and both eyes the same so I was able to buy a pair from China! No, these were NOT "reading glasses", they were to correct for near-sightedness.

It took a while but I managed to get a pair of glasses to her.

If your son has seen an optometrist recently then you should be able to go there and get his prescription. Buy the cheapest pair you can off the internet. Meanwhile, send a letter to the medical officer at his facility and ask if he will forward a pair of glasses if you sent them to him (the officer).

Good luck

R. Mc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-13-2017), winjax (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc50 View Post
In my experience there is the "written policy" for the state, how the facility interprets / enforces the policy, and then what you can get away with.

I had a penpal in the women's prison at Chowchilla that needed a pair of glasses replaced. I was able to buy a cheap pair of glasses, then send them to the "medical officer" and he gave them to the inmate.

The biggest hassle was getting the the glasses as there was no prescription. But she knew what the correction was, and it was a simple diopter and both eyes the same so I was able to buy a pair from China! No, these were NOT "reading glasses", they were to correct for near-sightedness.

It took a while but I managed to get a pair of glasses to her.

If your son has seen an optometrist recently then you should be able to go there and get his prescription. Buy the cheapest pair you can off the internet. Meanwhile, send a letter to the medical officer at his facility and ask if he will forward a pair of glasses if you sent them to him (the officer).

Good luck

R. Mc.
Thank you! I will check that out. His prescription is expired, but maybe online sources don't care. There has to be a way to get this basic need to somebody in an easier manner!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 PM

That being said, does anybody know who the "medical officer" is at VSP by chance?