Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Pennsylvania.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Default New to PA DOC, lots of questions!

Hello everyone. I am sorry if this ends up being long, I am going to try to give a little background info before my questions.
So my boyfriend is on probation in Berks, Bucks, and Montgomery Counties. He recently violated in Montgomery and was sent from the PO's office to MCCF on 2/26, and has a Gag II hearing 5/7. Berks County violated him and ordered a Writ and he was transferred there and on 3/27 was sentenced to 4 to 24 months, which started his sentence that day. He is still sitting in Berks County with a Writ for Montgomery County for his court date.
My questions are;
How long does the intake & classification process usually take at Graterford & Camp Hill?
Does everyone have to go through classification even if it is a short sentence, and is fast tracked?
He has been told that every inmate has to do a program to get parole, is that true?
If his 4 months is up before he even gets to a state facility will he still have to go, or is there a chance he could be paroled before being transported.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,597 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk I am not familiar with PA myself but hopefully someone who is will comment shortly. Just wanted to say thanks for joining and welcome

Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,233 Posts

Hi and welcome.

First, I would not assume that the 4m-24m sentence in Berks County is the end of his problems. He is already waiting to see what happens in Montgomery County and Bucks County could still want a pint of blood. Any sentences they impose will be aggregated by the DOC, meaning they could be run consecutively if a judge so orders. If they run concurrent, they will "overlap", possibly extending the aggregate term.

The processing through GFRD (or Phoenix very soon) is a matter of a few weeks. The process at Camp Hill is a few months. There is no "fast track," despite jailhouse rumors to the contrary. If he sees the Parole Board before going to GFRD, he can expect to be denied parole.

If his minimum approaches while he's at CH, he will see the Parole Board there. The chances of being granted parole would be very slim. Depending on the nature of his crimes and his past issues, the Board will likely want to see programming completed. Those programs aren't available to inmates still in the classification process.

Two points to consider: If the judge really wanted him back out of prison in four months, he/she could have sentenced him to 4m to 24m less one day, keeping him in the county system with the possibility of good time credit. The judge knows he won't be out in four months by sending him up-state.

Next, the Board will see him as a parole/probation "failure." A green sheet issued at the end of the four months will almost certainly list "previous supervision failure(s)" as a reason for denial.

Sorry the information isn't more positive.
Sarianna (08-03-2018), sillygirlpa (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Thank you!

I am sorry that for some reason I am just not seeing your reply!
Since my original post we have gotten some answers and even more questions.
Montgomery County ended up giving him a 6-15.5 Month sentence running concurrent with his State sentence, and the judge wrote a special order to allow him to do his county time while in state. He is sitting in Berks County waiting transfer to Graterford at the moment (which we believe to be happening tomorrow)
His Montgomery County Parole Date is 7/21/2018.
Bucks County is not getting involved thankfully.
Now for the questions. His State RRI Minimum is 6/28/2018, his "regular" minimum is 7/28/2018.
His public defender (who has not returned any phone calls since his Gag II hearing ) had said that he will not likely get his RRI because to be eligible he would need to complete a program. He also was the one who told us he would be home right around his minimum date because the judge approved "fast tracking", which now I am thinking was BS.
My main question is my BFs brother was sentenced by Berks County to a state sentence and did 3 weeks at Graterford and was sent right to Chester, he never went to Camp Hill. I haven't been able to read anywhere that this is even a thing and wouldn't honestly believe it if I hadn't watched him transfer in and out the the facilities on the DOC website. Is this normal? Could that be the "fast tracking" the lawyer was talking about?
Do all inmates have to complete a program to get parole?
Also is it true that even if granted parole the first time around at his minimum we would be looking at 2-3 months after his hearing for a release date?
Thanks so much for any answers, this is all so overwhelming.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Aussie Card Fairy!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,029 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirlpa View Post
I am sorry that for some reason I am just not seeing your reply!
Since my original post we have gotten some answers and even more questions.
Montgomery County ended up giving him a 6-15.5 Month sentence running concurrent with his State sentence, and the judge wrote a special order to allow him to do his county time while in state. He is sitting in Berks County waiting transfer to Graterford at the moment (which we believe to be happening tomorrow)
His Montgomery County Parole Date is 7/21/2018.
Bucks County is not getting involved thankfully.
Now for the questions. His State RRI Minimum is 6/28/2018, his "regular" minimum is 7/28/2018.
His public defender (who has not returned any phone calls since his Gag II hearing ) had said that he will not likely get his RRI because to be eligible he would need to complete a program. He also was the one who told us he would be home right around his minimum date because the judge approved "fast tracking", which now I am thinking was BS.
My main question is my BFs brother was sentenced by Berks County to a state sentence and did 3 weeks at Graterford and was sent right to Chester, he never went to Camp Hill. I haven't been able to read anywhere that this is even a thing and wouldn't honestly believe it if I hadn't watched him transfer in and out the the facilities on the DOC website. Is this normal? Could that be the "fast tracking" the lawyer was talking about?
Do all inmates have to complete a program to get parole?
Also is it true that even if granted parole the first time around at his minimum we would be looking at 2-3 months after his hearing for a release date?
Thanks so much for any answers, this is all so overwhelming.

I'm not saying it is the cause, but there's a possibility that the hold up in him being transferred is because Graterford is being decommissioned (shut down) and everyone is being transferred to SCI Phoenix...hope that's all it is.

Hugs
Nomes
- " - " - I give a "hoot" about inmates
Old 06-17-2018, 07:50 AM

PTO Moderator 

I guess the good news is that the county sentence runs concurrent to the state sentence. The bad news is that a judge can't order the DOC or the PBPP to do anything. Those "comments" in the sentencing order (DC300B) are not binding. Once the judge commits someone to the state, he concedes all control.

There is no "fast track." The DOC is conscious of those who are committed with relatively short minimum sentences and works to expedite their classification. Will be be released by June 28th? not a chance. Will he be released on July 28th, equally unlikely.

When he hits GFRD/PHX, his file will be reviewed by their Records Office. They will calculate his minimum, RRRI minimum and maximum because BY STATUTE they are required to double-check the sentencing order for any legal errors. Once they determine his first parole eligibility date, they will forward that to the PBPP. The PBPP will then place him on their next available docket for the facility in which he is housed. At that point, the DOC will also expedite his classification in an effort to get him into programs quicker.

The wait time at GFRD/PHX is about 3 weeks. Camp Hill can classify him in another 3 weeks. So, that's six weeks to get to a "home prison" and access the programs. he then has to successfully complete them.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and it would be nice if things happened faster, but this is the reality in a system that was never designed for prisoners serving less than 3 years to minimum. The DOC is a behemoth that simply can't move fast. The judges know this, and up until a few years ago were keeping this "short-min" inmates in the county jails.

Please don't blame the attorney. when the attorney has nothing to work with, he isn't going to perform miracles. Your bf started out with violations in three counties. Judges don't take kindly to this. The PBPP sees these as supervision "failures", so don't be surprised if he sees that on the first green sheet. I doubt if any attorney could have pulled a rabbit out of his hat. the fact that the attorney doesn't speak with you can be attributed to two reasons: first, public defenders are extremely busy, and second, there's the issue of client confidentiality. He simply doesn't owe you.

Please keep us posted as he moves through the system.

Bob
nimuay (06-17-2018), Sarianna (08-03-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 05:55 AM

Hello,
Well we were right about the transfer last Tuesday. He hasn't called yet but I did get a letter. Of course he is hearing 100 different things from the guys in there. I'm not listening to any of it, just waiting to see what the next step will bring us.
Does anyone know how long of a wait it is until he gets visits? I also heard that the kids cannot visit until he is in his home jail. I couldn't find anything online.
Thanks again for all of the help so far!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 AM

PTO Moderator 

He should submit his visiting and phone lists ASAP. The staff at GFRD will enter them into the system. Once he gets his copy back, he knows the visitors are approved. It can take a couple weeks, but some of the men being going through GFRD get visits before they move to CH. (PHX has a visiting room for the "blues" that's equal to the one for those in population there, so they anticipate a lot of visiting for these men.)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Just thought I would leave an update for anyone that is wondering a time line. I am not sure if this is standard for someone who has a short sentence, but figured it could help someone.
Sentenced to 4-24 Months.
RRRI Date: June 27th
Minimum Date July 27th
Arrived at Graterford June 12th.
Arrived at Camp Hill July 2nd.
Arrived at Laurel Highlands Aug 1st.
Has to do TC Program, which will start Aug 6th.
Still waiting to see parole.
I will update with parole information as it comes.
Thank you to bobble60 for answering my questions!
I hope this post can be of help to someone else.
Fingers crossed for him to see parole soon!

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to sillygirlpa For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,597 Posts

sillygirlpa, thank you for posting that information!
Keeping my fingers crossed for the parole