Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:34 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,932 Times in 15,107 Posts
Default New mail rules at USP Marion & Camp effect September 21, 2018

A fellow PTO member sent me the following PDF of a Memorandum for Inmates from the Warden's office. Here we go again.....seems to me any drastic changes in rules pertaining to mail, visits calls would / should be system wide & posted on the BOP's website in advance of the change
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mail Rules Marion(1).pdf (352.8 KB, 12 views)

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 609 Posts

My husband at Duluth just told me today that the mail changes are coming there as well, so perhaps it is going to be a systemwide thing. He said it's effective sometime in November. Two changes, only white paper and envelopes from now on and the other change is no using of labels on the envelopes of any sort when sending him mail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-25-2018), patchouli (10-24-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 AM

Can anyone confirm (JohnM - are you still around?) that I can mail correspondence on unlined white copy paper, that has been printed on with a typical personal ink jet printer, to USP Marion? I have a lengthy piece of correspondence to send, and boy am I out of practice with writing legibly by hand. I need to send it quickly and would rather not waste the time rewriting it, but I also don't want to lose time by it being rejected. I've heard random rumors and would prefer factual information, if available, for this particular facility, as of early November of 2018. We all know how it can vary and I've had no luck getting a return phone call from staff at the facility. Thank you for any help you can give.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSCHULZ789 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:08 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,333 Times in 11,846 Posts

bop mail rooms schedule "open houses" where he can inquire, Asking his counselor is also a good idea. That way he will have an answer directly from his prison. If it is important for him to receive it quickly, mail a copy (keep one too) and see what happens.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
bop mail rooms schedule "open houses" where he can inquire, Asking his counselor is also a good idea. That way he will have an answer directly from his prison. If it is important for him to receive it quickly, mail a copy (keep one too) and see what happens.
Thanks for your advice, as always. I appreciate you suggesting an alternate solution. I have no way to communicate directly with him. He has no phone or email privileges, currently. I was so used to Corrlinks being an easy way to communicate. Ugh. I'm getting a taste of what it's like for friends and family who don't have that privilege or access to a messaging service.

He is 600 miles away, so a quick road trip is out of the question. I guess I don't even know if visitation was taken away.

But, absolutely, you are right. I can put it in the mail, keeping a copy, and hope for the best. It won't hurt to try.
fbopnomore (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 08:03 PM

My husband told me for his place white paper is ok. If you're printing out a letter that is typed, I would think that qualifies as being ok, but these days who knows what these Co's will send back.

I have sent cards to my husband this month and they've come through. The envelope is white, the card obviously isn't. He said he thinks that's not an issue because I didn't make the card.

I guess we'll see if things start to get held up, or how much they really crack down on it where he is. I guess it is different though since he's at a camp. Fortunately, only about 87 more days of this nonsense! Just bought his plane ticket home from that hell hole!!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:30 PM

You are so kind, always trying to help people, and not leave them feeling like no one cares about their question, even if you don't have the specific info they are looking for. It does sound like there is a big difference between your loved one's camp and the facility my friend is at, but that was sweet of you to tell me what you and your husband have learned.

I'm happy for your upcoming release date. A bit jealous, of course, but so happy that the worst will soon be behind you. Best of luck to you and your husband, and all of your family, as you move forward from this.
fbopnomore (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 PM

I would then just try to contact the institution directly and ask for the supplement to the correspondence policy, since the policy on their website is from 2011. Or at least just ask them what the changes are. Then no issue.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCHULZ789 View Post
Can anyone confirm (JohnM - are you still around?) that I can mail correspondence on unlined white copy paper, that has been printed on with a typical personal ink jet printer, to USP Marion? I have a lengthy piece of correspondence to send, and boy am I out of practice with writing legibly by hand. I need to send it quickly and would rather not waste the time rewriting it, but I also don't want to lose time by it being rejected. I've heard random rumors and would prefer factual information, if available, for this particular facility, as of early November of 2018. We all know how it can vary and I've had no luck getting a return phone call from staff at the facility. Thank you for any help you can give.
I have sent printed off copies, of things from the internet (obituaries, news articles, etc.), and they have all gone through. I can't imagine why they wouldn't (or, to quote Trump) would keep him from getting it LOL! I do agree with the previous post that you should have him go to open house and ask...just to be safe!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I would then just try to contact the institution directly and ask for the supplement to the correspondence policy, since the policy on their website is from 2011. Or at least just ask them what the changes are. Then no issue.
Oh Rockchalk - you ARE getting excited about your husband's upcoming release! This thread started with a post regarding the new rules, with the PDF attachment of those rules. I laughed, with you, not at you, at how your head and heart must be spinning. I'm still not able to get a response from staff and my friend can't call or email, same old story, right? But I did as FBOPNoMore suggested and mailed it, keeping a copy for myself, and am hoping for the best. I hope you have a good Wednesday!
fbopnomore (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
I have sent printed off copies, of things from the internet (obituaries, news articles, etc.), and they have all gone through. I can't imagine why they wouldn't (or, to quote Trump) would keep him from getting it LOL! I do agree with the previous post that you should have him go to open house and ask...just to be safe!
Thanks John. I just got myself a bit flustered and believed a rumor. I bet my letter will be fine, also. I hope you and your friend have been doing well!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks John. I just got myself a bit flustered and believed a rumor. I bet my letter will be fine, also. I hope you and your friend have been doing well!
We'll be doing better in about 13 years...unless the folks, in Washington, get off their butts and do their jobs about making people's lives better!
CSCHULZ789 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Oh Rockchalk - you ARE getting excited about your husband's upcoming release! This thread started with a post regarding the new rules, with the PDF attachment of those rules. I laughed, with you, not at you, at how your head and heart must be spinning. I'm still not able to get a response from staff and my friend can't call or email, same old story, right? But I did as FBOPNoMore suggested and mailed it, keeping a copy for myself, and am hoping for the best. I hope you have a good Wednesday!
No worries. Since they can still get magazines and such, I would think copies of things and what not as John stated are fine. The big worry is the labels and other items due to the K2 issue. But as usual, the crazy gets crazier and we just continue to shake our heads over this nonsense. It blows my mind at the amount of wasted resources they spend. I can't imagine what it is at a max, although probably more necessary, but at the camp it is beyond wasteful.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
CSCHULZ789 (11-08-2018)