Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 PM

Default Lots of movement at VSPW?

My wife is still on A-yard and let me know that alot of women have been being transferred. Some of the women have gone across the street and some to CIW. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sacharm View Post
My wife is still on A-yard and let me know that alot of women have been being transferred. Some of the women have gone across the street and some to CIW. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks
I know they changed and CCWF is now the only reception center. They were moving Ad-Seg or Shu (which ever one was at VSP) over to CCWF. Back in Sept it was in the newspaper that they were going to convert VSP to a male prison or close it. They expect AB109 to clear out a prison. Apparently there has been a lot of movement through the whole system.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Correction people in SHU are being moved to CIW not CCWF
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

The State finally made their decision - VSPW will be converted to a low to medium level men's prison!

The women at VSPW will be transferred out, one yard at a time and the men will begin to take their place.

See the CDCR website/news for information about this decision.

Wyrenut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WyreNut For This Useful Post:
GsMom (10-18-2012), sidewalker (12-19-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Destitute & homeless

Talking Concerns of jail break

I called VSPW last month to confirm news report of conversion to a men's facility, and they denied it. Then my significant other mentions they're (SHU A4) being moved in small numbers starting in January. I'd gather VSPW is anticipating possible attempts to rescue an inmate by blocking or hijacking an inmate transfer vehicle. If my guess is correct, they'd have the windows heavily tinted so you can't see which inmate is being transferred that day. Planning a jail break will require inside info. Someone on the inside (VSPW staff or CO) will have to be bribed to give intel on when an inmate you want to rescue is leaving VSPW. While you're reading this, the tune to Mission Impossible is playing in the background.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

Chowchilla will be a mens level two prison and the women there will be moved to two other womens prisons.
It was on the prison web-site recently.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

Here is the link to the press release about the conversion to a Mens prison:

http://cdcrtoday.blogspot.com/2011/1...rt-female.html

Oh, and transportation vehicles do have tinted windows, both vans and busses!

WyreNut
Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 AM
I love my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
The State finally made their decision - VSPW will be converted to a low to medium level men's prison!

The women at VSPW will be transferred out, one yard at a time and the men will begin to take their place.

See the CDCR website/news for information about this decision.

Wyrenut
This is what I've heard too! Converted to men's facility by 2013
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 AM

FYI: The city of Chowchilla sued CDCR and on January 25, the court issued a stipulation and order that prevents CDCR from converting VSPW into a men's prison until at least sept 12, 2012.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 AM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1980 View Post
FYI: The city of Chowchilla sued CDCR and on January 25, the court issued a stipulation and order that prevents CDCR from converting VSPW into a men's prison until at least sept 12, 2012.
Yes, this is true. The City wants CDCR to perform an Environmental Impact report before going through with the conversion.

I've read quotes that "the men behave worse than the women, and more pepper spray will be used and possibly washed into the ground..." Really? I thought pepper spray comes from plant-based chemicals (capsaicin).

So now it's on hold until September. The State of CA will continue to try and pack inmates back into County jails wherever there is room. More support staff and guards will be laid off (including me, possibly!)

WyreNut
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Sacramento Bee article

This article may be of interest to some.

“Valley State Prison Inmates Express Concerns Over Pending Conversion” (01/25/2012)

I cannot post the link for this article. If you are interested, just put it in Google.

I have a question; I found an online petition to stop the conversion of valley state prison for women to a men's prison. I do not know if I can post the URL here. Can anyone tell me if I can or not?

Google: Petition to Stop the Conversion of Valley State Prison for Women to a Men's Prison

Last edited by shadowdesign; 02-11-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

Unfortunately, if the conversion to a Men's facility gets permanently blocked the State has made it clear they will simply close the facility and lay off the staff, adding to the huge unemployment problem this area suffers from already.

The inmates will get divided up between CIW and CCWF either sooner or later as the population continues to decrease due to AB-109's mandates.

WyreNut
Old 02-11-2012, 06:42 PM

I have also heard that the men won't be put in there till sept this year. But even then they will still have to move the women long before then to get it ready for the men. My girl is there and is thinking she will get transferred soon to one of the other 2 facilities. She actually gets out in July and has applied to get out early through a program . So we are just waiting to see what will happen.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM

Not sure if this is news for anyone but they are beginning interviews with the inmates on Monday the 27th of August, starting with the LWOPs, then Lifers, and so on at VSPW to determine which facility they will be transferred to. Then starting in September, the transfers will begin.

I don't know what factors will determine who will go to CIW or CCWF but it may be worth a try to send letters of recommendation for your loved one to be transferred to the preferred facility (or ad seg in the not preferred facility if that is the case). They may or may not get there in time to be read, much less considered but who knows. Just a thought.

Also, I was informed that it may be around 100 inmates being transferred per week.

Last edited by TugHarborGirl; 08-25-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,569 Times in 715 Posts
Default VSP Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sacharm View Post
Hi there, my wife is currently in CCWF across the street. The word and evidence point to the closure of VSP as a womens facility.SOme are being sent to local Sheriffs custody, CCWF and other programs
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Coffee Addict

Hi. My husband is at SCC now and just dropped to Level 2 and is being endorsed to VSP(W). His counselor told him that women will still be housed on the 2 smaller yards, but that the big, main yard is going to house Level 2 SNY men beginning the first of November.

I'm not sure if they will continue to move the women out or just leave them on the other 2 yards. If I get any other info, I'll post here for others. He was also "told" that the prison's name will change to VSP (Valley State Prison).

Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Magnolia~ View Post
Hi. My husband is at SCC now and just dropped to Level 2 and is being endorsed to VSP(W). His counselor told him that women will still be housed on the 2 smaller yards, but that the big, main yard is going to house Level 2 SNY men beginning the first of November.

I'm not sure if they will continue to move the women out or just leave them on the other 2 yards. If I get any other info, I'll post here for others. He was also "told" that the prison's name will change to VSP (Valley State Prison).

There is no housing on the "Main" yard. The way I hear it, the men will arrive to the former receiving yard (A yard) which is walled off from the nearby B yard.

After that, it will be a game of moving men into yards away from the females. Empty C yard of females, then move men into B yard. Empty D yard, then move men into C and D yard...

The transition is going to cause all sorts of headaches... Who will work in the kitchens? Can't mix the genders, but still going to have problems with the females seeing the males and vice versa during food service. Heck, they'll probably keep everyone locked down and feed each inmate in their cell.

I may be taking a job @ VSP soon!

WyreNut
The Following User Says Thank You to WyreNut For This Useful Post:
~Magnolia~ (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Coffee Addict

Really? That's not what his counselor told him. Something about a big yard that has been closed for some time due to an inmate death? Sounded off to me - I mean if they closed every yard with a murder, there'd be no open yards anywhere in the system.

His counselor specifically stated it was the "big yard" that was being converted first for men arriving early November. I'm going to ask him to go back to his counselor and question him again. I'll post when I hear back.

Doesn't really matter to us which yard it is, now that I think of it, but it seems silly to move all the women and cause them and their families upset. Damned CDCr. It's not like there isn't plenty of space in a men's prison for these new Level 2's.

Thank you so much for your info and post.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

Quote:
Really? That's not what his counselor told him. Something about a big yard that has been closed for some time due to an inmate death? Sounded off to me - I mean if they closed every yard with a murder, there'd be no open yards anywhere in the system.

His counselor specifically stated it was the "big yard" that was being converted first for men arriving early November. I'm going to ask him to go back to his counselor and question him again. I'll post when I hear back.

Doesn't really matter to us which yard it is, now that I think of it, but it seems silly to move all the women and cause them and their families upset. Damned CDCr. It's not like there isn't plenty of space in a men's prison for these new Level 2's.

There were two TV shows about VSPW - the latest of the "Beyond Scared Straight" series on the A&E network. One of the first was a touching episode with several young females who toured the facility. They showed the area where the inmate was killed, and I believe it was A yard.

Only housing on the Main yard would be the Gym. Doubtful CDCR would intentionally start housing there, but who knows?

WyreNut
The Following User Says Thank You to WyreNut For This Useful Post:
~Magnolia~ (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Actually, there isn't much room for level II inmates, now that alot of the men's points have dropped the population has gotten larger. Instead of releasing them, they will do whatever it takes to keep them inside. I did get word that Mule Creek Prison will be opening a level II yard, but that just got approved so it will take a few years for construction...

Last edited by monkeyseesall; 09-06-2012 at 11:28 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeyseesall For This Useful Post:
~Magnolia~ (09-20-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM

My husband is at Mule Creek now. With the new lvl 2's including him now they are moving them all out. He has not heard of them converting any yards to a lvl 2 because they are shipping them all out. If they were going to convert a yard they would just keep them there. He did say there is another new prison in Stockton that opened up or is opening up shortly but it is only for critical medical needs inmates. So according to what my husband has heard from other inmates and where they are already endorsed to is Mule Creek is shipping all the lvl 2's out either to SATF or VSP. That's why I am here to see where he might want to put his choice in for where to go. He's worried that he will loose his TV if he goes to a lvl 2 prison.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Account Closed

My husband was just endorsed to vsp, he is currently in mule creek, because of his points he has dropped to level 2, his counselor had said that it could be any day, oct. November or never because of it still having women there. I have been dealing with CDC for over 2 decades and it is really hard for me to see that CDC would move men in a womens prison until the women are 100% gone. The liability issue alone. Different yards and all it would really shock me if it had both, think of the possibilities of future lawsuits. Any contact and huge lawsuits! We will have to see. In the meantime can you tell me where you stay while visiting, hotels, etc. Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlainnocence View Post
My husband is at Mule Creek now. With the new lvl 2's including him now they are moving them all out. He has not heard of them converting any yards to a lvl 2 because they are shipping them all out. If they were going to convert a yard they would just keep them there. He did say there is another new prison in Stockton that opened up or is opening up shortly but it is only for critical medical needs inmates. So according to what my husband has heard from other inmates and where they are already endorsed to is Mule Creek is shipping all the lvl 2's out either to SATF or VSP. That's why I am here to see where he might want to put his choice in for where to go. He's worried that he will loose his TV if he goes to a lvl 2 prison.
You're right, they are shipping level II's out of the prison but Mule Creek will have a level II yard in the future. They were just approved but construction has not started. It can take a few years before it's done. My husband is there also and is endorsed to VSP. I'm not sure if they can have TV's or not.

Last edited by monkeyseesall; 09-13-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
There is no housing on the "Main" yard. The way I hear it, the men will arrive to the former receiving yard (A yard) which is walled off from the nearby B yard.

After that, it will be a game of moving men into yards away from the females. Empty C yard of females, then move men into B yard. Empty D yard, then move men into C and D yard...

The transition is going to cause all sorts of headaches... Who will work in the kitchens? Can't mix the genders, but still going to have problems with the females seeing the males and vice versa during food service. Heck, they'll probably keep everyone locked down and feed each inmate in their cell.

I may be taking a job @ VSP soon!

WyreNut
It's kinda like the situation that happened at Tehachipi! SNY inmates were moved to the yards while it was still occupied by mainline inmates. The end result was a shower every few days, being fed in the cell and no yard for over 3months...basically,total lockdown..My friends husband was transferred there and he was miserable.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 AM

Sweetheart is SNY coming from MCSP do you think the women will mess with their food?
The Following User Says Thank You to Joy Juego For This Useful Post:
Tp122591 (11-16-2012)