Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 PM

FYI LADIES AND GENTS FROM VPASS..
Recently at Valley State Prison (VSP) there have been several inmates identified as exhibiting the signs and symptoms of an Influenza-Like Illness. As a result, and in accordance with Health Care protocols, VSP is modifying the visiting program for Saturday, January 18th and Sunday, January 19th, 2014. The portion of the inmate population who have displayed the signs and symptoms of the illness will not be permitted to visit this weekend. In addition, in order to prevent further spread of the illness, non-contact visits will be authorized for inmates housed in the following areas: Building B-1, Room 17; Building B-2, Room 12; Building B-3, Room 5; Building B-4, Room 10; C-4, Rooms 20 and 26; and all inmates housed in C-3. Non-contact visits will be limited to two hours. Inmates who have exhibited signs and symptoms of the illness will not be permitted to visit this weekend.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Does anyone wear flip flops and not had an issue with it?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Okay I have a few questions that hopefully someone will help with... as for bras, how sensitive is the metal detector? I know that under wires are a no no, but what about clasp on the back of the bra?? Also, how about Brown cargo pants or is it best to stick to black? I always feel like Johnny cash when I visit California prisons.. This is my first trip to valley state... any info would be greatly appreciated. What are safe colors besides black? Has anyone gotten in with flip flops... oh believe me I'll have all my luggage in the car but dang I'm so much more comfortable in flip flops... also can we wear zip up sweatshirts with a hoodie?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGLTG View Post
Okay I have a few questions that hopefully someone will help with... as for bras, how sensitive is the metal detector? I know that under wires are a no no, but what about clasp on the back of the bra?? Also, how about Brown cargo pants or is it best to stick to black? I always feel like Johnny cash when I visit California prisons.. This is my first trip to valley state... any info would be greatly appreciated. What are safe colors besides black? Has anyone gotten in with flip flops... oh believe me I'll have all my luggage in the car but dang I'm so much more comfortable in flip flops... also can we wear zip up sweatshirts with a hoodie?
You don't need to worry about the clasp on the back of your bra. I haven't seen anyone have issues with this as of yet. You can pretty much wear any color pants as long as they are not blue. You should say clear of blue of any shade and lime green. Think theres another one but can't remember at this moment. As to the flip flops I haven't tired but was told recently that they would allow them. I don't know though. If you try bring an extra pair of shoes for just in case and yes you can wear a zip up with a hoodie. If you have any other questions you can pm me if you like. Other information… make your appointments on vpass or you'll need to pick up a pink number and wait. Although sometimes they call the numbers when theres no shows. Bring the max amount of money in dollars bills and coins as the food is way over priced. Hope you enjoy your first visit at vsp.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM

I already made vpass appointments.... had to do that at chino... it makes it easier that's for sure... thank you for the info... I really really hope flip flops are okay..
Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Donation Award 

Default appointments

is there a needed update from 2-13/214th/2014? about scheduling policy for VSp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
If you have an appointment, you should be there at 8:30. There are three appointment times, 8:30, 8:45, and 9:00. They call names and keep going until all appointments have been processed. If you miss them calling your name, you will have to take a number and be processed as a non-appointment.

If you do not have an appointment, you can go to Visitor Processing any time after 6am and pick up a number. Then you must leave the prison until 8:30. They will start calling numbers as soon as they have finished appointments.

Appointments are made by phone for up to 4 weeks in advance. Appointments can be made Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:00-3:00 by calling 559-665-6100 x8950. You can also make an appointment after your visit in the Visitor Processing center for 2 weeks in advance. VPASS will be coming in April.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Donation Award 

Question max amount of money

What is the max amount of money allowed? i' guess it would be in just coins? in a see through plastic baggie? is there lockers or friends outside to store a wallet or purse? Or cell phone in case of emergency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
If you have an appointment, you should be there at 8:30. There are three appointment times, 8:30, 8:45, and 9:00. They call names and keep going until all appointments have been processed. If you miss them calling your name, you will have to take a number and be processed as a non-appointment.

If you do not have an appointment, you can go to Visitor Processing any time after 6am and pick up a number. Then you must leave the prison until 8:30. They will start calling numbers as soon as they have finished appointments.

Appointments are made by phone for up to 4 weeks in advance. Appointments can be made Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:00-3:00 by calling 559-665-6100 x8950. You can also make an appointment after your visit in the Visitor Processing center for 2 weeks in advance. VPASS will be coming in April.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.garcia. View Post
You don't need to worry about the clasp on the back of your bra. I haven't seen anyone have issues with this as of yet. You can pretty much wear any color pants as long as they are not blue. You should say clear of blue of any shade and lime green. Think theres another one but can't remember at this moment. As to the flip flops I haven't tired but was told recently that they would allow them. I don't know though. If you try bring an extra pair of shoes for just in case and yes you can wear a zip up with a hoodie. If you have any other questions you can pm me if you like. Other information… make your appointments on vpass or you'll need to pick up a pink number and wait. Although sometimes they call the numbers when theres no shows. Bring the max amount of money in dollars bills and coins as the food is way over priced. Hope you enjoy your first visit at vsp.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 AM

You can take $50 in dollars or quarters in clear bag. if you have no car I believe they have lockers but not for sure. they have the friends outside trailer that should help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CloaknDagger For This Useful Post:
firkttn (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thumbs up Friends outside trailer

Yes if they for sure have a friends outside trailer they will hold my cill phone and stuff until 3:00 pm thanks #
karen <=_=>
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloaknDagger View Post
You can take $50 in dollars or quarters in clear bag. if you have no car I believe they have lockers but not for sure. they have the friends outside trailer that should help you.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM

My experience with visiting may be useful to some of you. First off, only one pair of earrings, two rings, one necklace and one bracelet allowed. Black jeans are okay, no problems with metal button or clasp on the back of the bra. You can hug and kiss, even sneak in a few kisses here and there. The male guards are okay and actually easy going. The female guard is a little more by the book. My Mann and I call her the Nazi! The vending machine prices are ridiculous so bring plenty of money. The bathrooms are nice and the visiting room is clean and well kept. Processing was quick and easy, they aren't as strict as the last place my man was as for clothing. Flip flops are okay as long as they have a little bling or whatever. I enjoyed my visit, I went two weekends in a row and had no problems.

Last edited by MTGLTG; 03-02-2014 at 11:11 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MTGLTG For This Useful Post:
Pray4Joseph (10-18-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 AM

My son just got transferred here on Friday . He was in reception at Wasco for only 6 weeks before being moved so they did not approve our visitation yet. I guess I have to start all over again here. Any one know if its ok to send in copies of the visitation form with my sons signature on it or do I need a new one?Also any idea how long it's been taking to get approved here? Thanks for any info about this place.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
CloaknDagger (03-10-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM

Okay, here is the deal. I'm a co defendant on my husband's case. He told me I can call and plead my case, that I was trying to take the charge for him and my current compliance with probation, etc. He told me to talk to the visiting lieutenant, not sergeant, and I could get approved within minutes. Anyone heard of this happening and what is the visiting lieutenant's extension so I don't have to jump through too many hoops to get to him.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 AM
p0R SiieMpRE p0R ViiDA

My man just transfered from CHINO (reception)...hes been at CHINO since early Dec and I've sent in my visitstion form the sametime and still haven't heard anything. Thankfully I revieved my 1st phone call from him since he caught the chain...Am waiting patiently for approval so what gives? Any advice and/or thoughts are welcome.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM

My son was at wasco reception and my application for visiting was never approved( wasn't there long enough , only 7 weeks) so when he got transferred to VSP I sent a copy of the signed visiting application to VSP and it only took 2 and a half weeks to get approved. Good luck hope it goes quick. I had my first visit and he had only been there 3 weeks , so much better than reception.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:17 AM

Donna May. , go to the thread E-mail address of employees and it has the info you are looking for from a year ago. Not sure if its still current, good luck. I don't think it could hurt to at least try.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firkttn View Post
is there a needed update from 2-13/214th/2014? about scheduling policy for VSp?
If you miss them calling your name you do not have to take a number. You just have to wait until the end of that appointment group go up to the desk and ask them if they called your name and then they will process you. I am late all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlainnocence For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (04-14-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 PM
''TILL DEATH DO US PART''

If already approved to visit does that follow to this prison or do you have to fill out new visiting form? Do you schedule appointments on vpass?

faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 AM

From what I have read on line here it is suppose to follow but you might want to call just to verify . Yes they have V pass . 1201am Sun night/Mon morning is the new sign up time. You can also just go and get a number at the check in office if you don't make an appt.
sac_girl (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM
''TILL DEATH DO US PART''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchmisery4me View Post
From what I have read on line here it is suppose to follow but you might want to call just to verify . Yes they have V pass . 1201am Sun night/Mon morning is the new sign up time. You can also just go and get a number at the check in office if you don't make an appt.
Thank you .what time do they start taking walk ins?

faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Go to the web site. VSP-IFC.com. This site is the most complete for this prison . Under the visiting tab it gives you all the info. It is run by the Inmate Family Counsel . They have all kinds of valuable info on here . Hope it helps. It also talks about family visits.
sac_girl (05-20-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Praying all are safe :)
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchmisery4me View Post
My son just got transferred here on Friday . He was in reception at Wasco for only 6 weeks before being moved so they did not approve our visitation yet. I guess I have to start all over again here. Any one know if its ok to send in copies of the visitation form with my sons signature on it or do I need a new one?Also any idea how long it's been taking to get approved here? Thanks for any info about this place.
Am I right 2much? Did I read on one of your other posts that you sent in a 'copy' of your visiting form and it got approved? That's lucky. When I first did mine I had sent 2 in that were copies (can't remember why I made copies) and one that wasn't. Mine got approved but the ones that had the copied signature on them didn't. They said it had to be the original signature. So it took prolly close to a month for those 2 to finally get approved.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Yep made 10 copies and sent them out to family and friends and so far 9 of us have been approved . Only one still waiting and he may have sent his in later. I know it's crazy , just depends on the facility and who you get I guess. I thought I might have problems also but my son could only find 1 copy at the time so I gave it a try.
Another crazy example . They told me I could mail in clear pens 2 at a time in the mail with a letter . The first one went through . The second time I did it they sent my whole letter back telling me only help the pen was clear and not acceptable. It was the exact same pens I sent the first time. Haha you never know!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Has anyone stayed at chowchilla inn recently? Is it decent?
Old 07-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Default shingles quarantine

Does anybody know about this? Planning on visiting my husband tomorrow and before driving 4 hrs would like to confirm thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2014, 03:10 AM
Praying all are safe :)
Donation Award 

Well I just called the 'visiting hotline' and it said normal visiting for all inmates. This is the first I've heard about this.....
The Following User Says Thank You to tialooey For This Useful Post:
Beebeek1 (07-13-2014)