Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default VSP Sending Packages/Money/Books/Mags Info

Please use this thread for any & all questions regarding quarterly packages, sending $, Magazines, Books....etc!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Praying all are safe :)
Donation Award 

Hi, does anyone know if VSP accepts money for inmates with 'Western Union'?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tialooey View Post
Hi, does anyone know if VSP accepts money for inmates with 'Western Union'?
Got my answer. They do.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 PM

Default Sending money

At all other prisons my husband has been to, I would send checks/money orders directly to his address and they would take them out in the mail room and apply them to his account. He just recently moved to VSP, and he said he heard that there's another PO Box we're supposed to send money to. Can anyone fill me in on the procedure?

I see on the CDCR page it says "MoneyGram" is PO Box 94. Maybe that's what he means? But I'm not familiar with moneygram... I was thinking that was different than sending a check. But I'm just not sure. I may try to call the prison tomorrow to ask, but I'd appreciate any input I can get in the meantime.

Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM

I was told by the mail room that they would take it out of the letter or card you send but she said it was best to send it with a card and not other papers so it doesn't get misplaced or missed if you are sending other things like photos , letters ect. Let me know if they tell you any different as I have only used Jpay so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 PM

I forgot to call, but I think I'll just send it to his regular mailing address (since that's what they told you to do) and see what happens. If I do find out anything different I'll post again... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchmisery4me View Post
I was told by the mail room that they would take it out of the letter or card you send but she said it was best to send it with a card and not other papers so it doesn't get misplaced or missed if you are sending other things like photos , letters ect. Let me know if they tell you any different as I have only used Jpay so far.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyR View Post
I forgot to call, but I think I'll just send it to his regular mailing address (since that's what they told you to do) and see what happens. If I do find out anything different I'll post again... Thanks!
Yes, send it to the inmate mailing address (PO BOX 92) and I would put it in a card as 2muchmisery4me suggested. I send mine through Access Secure Deposits. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to tialooey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Has anyone ordered art supplies for their loved one, and if so what vendor did you use? I know dick blick is an option but I'm looking for a certain kind of pencil they do not carry. I'd really like to surprise my man if I can find these dang pencils, haha.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

Default Special Package(s) & Quarterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by traviesita View Post
Please use this thread for any & all questions regarding quarterly packages, sending $, Magazines, Books....etc!
Hello

My son was recently (last week) mainlined to VSP. He needs (wants) some electronics but he has not been classified as of yet. He is classified "U" which I assume means unclassified. If I order the articles will he receive them or will VSP send them back to the vendor, thus costing me 10% restocking fee.

Does anyone have any idea how long this classification ordeal takes. I would like to get a quarterly package also.

Thank you.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 PM

Default MP3 Player Purchase

Has anyone purchased a MP3 player? If so, can you tell me how the purchase of additional music works? Do you buy and the company sends the sd card? Is there a limit as to how many cards they can have at once?

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,680 Times in 14,446 Posts

sandyh00
I wish I knew. All I know is you can order thru whichever company the prison allows....and that the vendor will know (with the info you put on the order form) what is allowed.
As far as sd cards....sorry I dont know! They didnt allow those when my hub was there. All he had was a radio and headphones. lol.
I did see where you could also order tapes (yeah, tapes)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-26-2016, 09:27 AM

We bought an MP3 player from Access, and my husband is really happy with it. When you order new music to add to it, the vendor sends a new SD card with ALL of the music you've purchased since buying to player. So each time they send a new SD card, you don't need the old card anymore because all the previously purchased music is included with the new music on the new card. I'm not sure what they guys do with the old card, though... If they bring it to R and R to turn in when picking up the new one, or if they can mail it home or discard/recycle it or whatever.

Walkenhorsts also sells MP3 players, and I'm not sure what their process is. But this is how it works with Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh00 View Post
Has anyone purchased a MP3 player? If so, can you tell me how the purchase of additional music works? Do you buy and the company sends the sd card? Is there a limit as to how many cards they can have at once?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Cheri S; 06-26-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Old 07-07-2016, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Sorry this "thanks" is overdue!
The Following User Says Thank You to sandyh00 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-09-2016)