Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Default C3 is under Quarantine

The entire building 3 on C yard is now quarantine'd due to H1N1 flu virus. There are 5 confirmed cases in the building. Due to this visiting is also going to be modified so anyone from that building will most likely be having NON-Contact visits (behind glass) and a limited time. This information is coming from IFC who has been in contact with the prison trying to figure out what procedures to follow for everyone's health and safety. As of 11:30am Jan 17th (today) this is what the current update is. Please check the VPass website or call the visiting hotline for further updates before you leave for visits this weekend they may decide to cancel all visits for C3.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlainnocence For This Useful Post:
firkttn (01-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 02:51 PM

I just received more information that there are a few other buildings pods that have confirmed cases. I do not have details on them but once the building gets 5 confirmed cases they quarantine the entire building.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlainnocence View Post
i just received more information that there are a few other buildings pods that have confirmed cases. I do not have details on them but once the building gets 5 confirmed cases they quarantine the entire building.
yes my hubby is in b4 and there is a cpl cells affected as of yesterday
Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM

The facility visiting message has now been updated with all effected cells.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlainnocence For This Useful Post:
CloaknDagger (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM

1/17 – Flu and Weekend Visiting Restrictions

January 17, 2014Posted by Administrator under Latest News

Updated 1/17/14 1:10pm
Human Influenza Virus Update

Valley State continues to see additional cases of the flu. As cases are confirmed, the affected inmates are isolated and the cell is placed on Medical Confined-to-Quarters (CTQ) status for 5 days. Once a building has 5 cells confined to quarters, the whole building is restricted. At this time, Building C3 on C-Yard has been placed on Medical Confined-to-Quarters status. All inmates in C3 are confined to their cells, so there is no yard, no phone calls, no work, etc. until the restriction is lifted.
What this means for visiting this weekend

For inmates who are showing symptoms or are sick, there will be NO Visiting. Normal visiting will happen except for those who are sick or those areas which are CTQ. For those cells which are under restriction, and for Building C3, there will be non-contact visiting only. The Visiting Staff and the Administration are working out procedures now for how this will work. Please be patient with delays in processing. The staff will accommodate as many non-contact visits as possible and allow the visits for as long as they can. Please understand that there will be many families who also want to visit with their Loved Ones. For non-contact visits, only three visitors are allowed at one time, including minors.
The VPASS Facility Message and the Visiting Hotline will be updated as new information becomes available. This website will also be kept updated with the latest information.

This is from the IFC website.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 PM

HERE IS AN EMAIL I GOT FROM VPASS
Recently at Valley State Prison (VSP) there have been several inmates identified as exhibiting the signs and symptoms of an Influenza-Like Illness. As a result, and in accordance with Health Care protocols, VSP is modifying the visiting program for Saturday, January 18th and Sunday, January 19th, 2014. The portion of the inmate population who have displayed the signs and symptoms of the illness will not be permitted to visit this weekend. In addition, in order to prevent further spread of the illness, non-contact visits will be authorized for inmates housed in the following areas: Building B-1, Room 17; Building B-2, Room 12; Building B-3, Room 5; Building B-4, Room 10; C-4, Rooms 20 and 26; and all inmates housed in C-3. Non-contact visits will be limited to two hours. Inmates who have exhibited signs and symptoms of the illness will not be permitted to visit this weekend.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Default I also got this email

Yesterday I got a quick call from my friend there telling me he was being quarantined due to a fever of 102 and I wouldn't be hearing from him for a few days, then today I got the same email from CDCR/VPASS about visiting.I know there are some men there who cannot afford to catch that flu, mine among them - so I am glad they are staying on top of it by limiting movement (although once it's in the building there isn't much they can do to stop it from spreading seeing how it is contagious both before and after they actually show signs of it . So now I get to sit here and worry until I hear from him

I feel bad for the people who do not use VPASS and will probably have no idea what their visits will be like until they get there in the morning. Hopefully friends will be able to contact them and let them know before they make the trip there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebeek1 View Post
HERE IS AN EMAIL I GOT FROM VPASS
Recently at Valley State Prison (VSP) there have been several inmates identified as exhibiting the signs and symptoms of an Influenza-Like Illness. As a result, and in accordance with Health Care protocols, VSP is modifying the visiting program for Saturday, January 18th and Sunday, January 19th, 2014. The portion of the inmate population who have displayed the signs and symptoms of the illness will not be permitted to visit this weekend. In addition, in order to prevent further spread of the illness, non-contact visits will be authorized for inmates housed in the following areas: Building B-1, Room 17; Building B-2, Room 12; Building B-3, Room 5; Building B-4, Room 10; C-4, Rooms 20 and 26; and all inmates housed in C-3. Non-contact visits will be limited to two hours. Inmates who have exhibited signs and symptoms of the illness will not be permitted to visit this weekend.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Donation Award 

Default Thanks

I missed a phone call from my son at VSP on Thursday. I was waiting for another call. Being that they are out in the day room every other day I thought today i would get a call. But now that you tell me that i am just going to continue to get his pics out and not wait on his call to touch base. poor baby's. if I were an administrator there right now i would send all kitchen people-including deputy staff-out of the kitchen and get a whole new crew...that would be first for me..lets keep in touch about this...Thanks again for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlainnocence View Post
The entire building 3 on C yard is now quarantine'd due to H1N1 flu virus. There are 5 confirmed cases in the building. Due to this visiting is also going to be modified so anyone from that building will most likely be having NON-Contact visits (behind glass) and a limited time. This information is coming from IFC who has been in contact with the prison trying to figure out what procedures to follow for everyone's health and safety. As of 11:30am Jan 17th (today) this is what the current update is. Please check the VPass website or call the visiting hotline for further updates before you leave for visits this weekend they may decide to cancel all visits for C3.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Praying all are safe :)
Donation Award 

Just got off the phone with my son and apparently it's moving into the D wing...starting this morning I guess D1 is infected as well. Don't hold me to that, though...could be wrong. Some of the co's are off work cuz of it. I hope our boys stay safe!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Has anyone heard anything else????
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGLTG View Post
Has anyone heard anything else????
I'll ask my son when he calls tonight what the latest is.

Last edited by tialooey; 01-20-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 12:13 AM

Has anybody heard any updates?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM

I haven't heard anything BUT I keep checking here like I'm a stalker.....
Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 AM

Me too
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM

VSP will be having a meeting this morning and will then provide updates to IFC. I am sure once IFC gets updates so will the web page. Vpass will be updated as the weekend nears because things are changing daily. At this time the buildings and dorms affected as stated on vpass are still the same. They will continue to monitor the flu as both men and staff are sick. Lets hope better news comes out of the meeting with medical and staff this morning.

Last edited by ms.garcia.; 01-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: error
The Following User Says Thank You to ms.garcia. For This Useful Post:
CloaknDagger (01-21-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 AM

The word is C3 will be locked down until at least Thursday (Jan 23rd) and that is as long as there is no other reports of sick inmates. When I spoke to my husband on Sunday at visit he told me that the guys in 14 & 16 were under quarantine but it was just a precautionary measure because they were sick weeks ago. When they were asked Saturday night if they were sick or had any symptoms they all said they felt fine as they have been saying all week. So there are 2 cells quarantine causing the whole building to be locked down for no reason. I am also still waiting for mail. When ever my husband and I can't talk on the phone we always write each other every day and I haven't received anything yet. This is very frustrating. I understand wanting to catch this before other guys get sick but even when the first cases showed up they were allowing the sick inmates to go to the chow hall they just went after every one else. The prison is not following proper procedures about this or anything and if they would have sent the first guys who got sick to the SHU and not let them go to the chow hall and had been cell fed this might not be an issue right now. I'm very upset a whole building of guys are suffering with out contact with their loved ones because this prison doesn't follow proper procedures from the beginning of turning into a men's prison and apparently don't know how to handle lvl 2 male inmates at all. We have been completely miserable since we moved to this prison and it just gets worse and worse. Even though its supposed to be a "pilot prison" for privilege inmates to get more privileges yet they haven't done the things they promised and the guys are locked up more then any other prison we have been to in the entire past 4 years we've been doing this. Its very frustrating.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 AM
Donation Award 

I agree with you jlainnocence, the guys aren't saying if they're sick or feeling sick. My LO has a couple of celly's that are sick. It just seems like it's gonna keep being passed back and forth.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Banned

Ladies, make sure your men look out for symptoms of Valley Fever, it is rampant in this area. All of Central Cali is known for this. If they stay sicker than longer have them look for the symptoms.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM

Anyone heard from their loved ones??? Any new news?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGLTG View Post
Anyone heard from their loved ones??? Any new news?
I heard another week
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Valley Fever

According to CDCR, Valley State Prison is not affected by Valley Fever. I don't believe it for one second. (but then again, I don't believe much they tell us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsgirl2013 View Post
Ladies, make sure your men look out for symptoms of Valley Fever, it is rampant in this area. All of Central Cali is known for this. If they stay sicker than longer have them look for the symptoms.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Flu at VSP

I got a call today (6 of them actually lol) and my friend is out of quarantine. He said a lot of the areas are still under it though - and I have a feeling he will go back to quarantine again, seeing how other than washing everything with bleach they don't seem to be doing anything other than keeping them in their dorms/cells - which only help prevent the spread of it, not treat them.
From what he told me there don't seem to be any going to the infirmary and he hasn't heard of any being sent to local hospitals. Hopefully the bleach treatment will keep them somewhat healthy and safe.

They were offered the flu shot about a month before the breakout, so if your man got that then they shouldn't stay sick for very long (they keep them quarantined for 5 days unless they are still showing signs of the flu). If they have had the flu shot and are unusually sick, or still sick after 5 days then they should question Valley Fever (as stated in another post)
I hope you all get you calls soon. I know I was very relieved when I got mine. Not just knowing he was ok, but just to hear his voice after all that time with no calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloaknDagger View Post
I heard another week
Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 PM

This post was so helpful... I have been so worried because i havent heard from my lil brother in a week...Bless them all that they stay healthy
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Donation Award 

My LO had a fever and was throwing up all night last night. He said he felt like he was gonna die. He did have the flu shot as well. He and some of his cellys have been sick. I'm going to pay attention to how long it lasts and keep praying.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 PM

Omg....your post just scared me....I have anxiety over not hearing from my lil brother..
I pray that hes not sick....its been 5 days and not one phone call...hes in C3