Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Info about telephone calls from institutions in WI/Outdated

This comes from the website of Correctional Billing Services.com

Contact them any time at:1-800-844-6591

CSR Hours (Central time):
Monday-Friday 7AM to 9PM
Saturday 8AM to 6PM
Sunday 8AM to 6PM

email: customer_service@correctionalbillingservices.com

To communicate by telephone with an inmate at a facility, you must have a touch-tone phone that emits a tone when the buttons are depressed.

Due to security reasons, failure to comply with the following could cause your call to be disconnected.

Don’t attempt to make a 3-way call.
Don’t transfer the call.
Don’t put the inmate on hold.
Don’t use or answer Call Waiting.
Don’t use cordless phones
Don’t press extra (additional) numbers on the touch-tone keypad.
Don’t stop your conversation for any length of time. Even short pauses may result in a disconnect.

Rates
Collect calls are considered "operator assisted calls". There is a surcharge applied to this type of service. The surcharge is in addition to the applicable per minute rate of the call. In addition, providers of collect calling services from correctional facilities typically adopt the rates for operator assisted calls of dominant carriers such as AT&T, MCI/Worldcom, or the Bell Operating Companies.

CBS's rates are in compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations. Calls from a correctional facility will usually have a time limit. The time limit will vary depending on the correctional facility. The inmate may place another call, however, a separate surcharge will apply.

Promotional discounts that are often offered by long distance carriers do not apply to collect call service and there is no use of long distance calling cards or toll free numbers.

The cost of providing operator assisted calling is substantially higher than the cost of providing long distance. These costs include such things as special equipment, equipment maintenance, billing validation, billing and collections, customer service, and other expenses.

If you would like to know the rates for the calls you are receiving, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800 844 6591 and a representative will be able to provide you with the surcharge and per minute rate. You may also request rate information by contacting us at customer_service@correctionalbillingservices.com . Please be able to provide the exact name and location of the facility from which you are receiving calls.

Due to security concerns, the correction industry typically contracts with a long distance service provider to handle all calls originating from their facility. The requirements that all calls be collect and therefore, positively accepted by the called party, helps ensure that harassing or unwanted calls are not placed to witnesses, lawyers, judges or others. In many cases, this also provides a tool for family members to manage and control calling expenses by utilizing our line restrictions or by taking advantage of our prepaid collect calling program.

The contract to provide service to the facility is usually granted based on competitive bids that are solicited by local, state, or federal authorities responsible for the correctional facility. Bidders must meet strict requirements that will ensure that all equipment can provide the security necessary and aid the facility in managing inmate calling privileges.

Universal Service Fund
In the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission set up a mechanism to ensure that the rates of local telephone companies would remain affordable to all customers. Telephone companies are required to contribute to various universal service programs including programs that provide service to schools, libraries, rural health care and to telephone customers who live in areas where the cost of providing telephone service is high.

The federal and state governments determine the Universal Service program fees. These fees will change periodically to reflect the demands of the universal service programs, therefore, the amount on the customer's bill will increase or decrease as appropriate. Evercom and it's affiliates, just like any other telephone service provider, must pass these charges through for the Federal Communications Commission for interstate calls. Various states have also adopted a similar state funded program that requires a separate fee.

The Universal Service fees are shown as a separate line item on the customer's monthly statement. The amount of the Universal Service fee on your current telephone bill, would be based on the total of your collect calls that appeared on your last month's telephone bill.

Payment Options
Pre-paid
There are no restrictions as long as funds are available in your account. Sign up for the pre-paid plan with a minimum payment of $50.00. You may use your credit card or checking account to make a payment.

The automated system can notify you and let you know when you need to make additional payments to prevent any restrictions from receiving calls. Payments can be made through our IVR, through our website and you can even mail your check in to our billing office.

You may mail checks to:

PO Box 2022
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055-0700

Your payment may take 7 to 10 business days to process. To ensure timely processing of your payment, please include your ten digit telephone number on the memo line.

Direct Bill
Our direct billing plan is another option. With a credit check, you can receive an invoice for your calls just like your telephone company. Please contact us to sign up.

Western Union
You may also make your payments to our pre-paid and direct bill payments options through Western Union. Payments can easily be made online through a Western Union® Quick Collect® payment.

Instructions on Using Quick Collect®
The receiver of the Quick Collect payment will be Correctional Billing Services.

You will be asked for a Code City and Code State for the receiver.

The Code City should be "Correctional".

The Code State should be " AL ".

If you are not a registered user at Western Union® you will be asked to register.

To find a Western Union® Agent location near you click here.

Local Telephone Payments
We do have billing arrangements with some local phone companies. With this option, you have a 90 day spending limit and are subject to more rigorous controls. Payments must be made to your local telephone company

Finally, you can also request a friends and family guide.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Default waupan

anyone know the service provider for Waupan Correctional institution who they go through
Old 12-12-2006, 09:24 PM

Default calls

who is the long distance provider for waupan I know it's not correctional billing so who is it?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:41 AM
I love and miss my baby!

its sprint but i called CBS and put money on my prepaid account and finally after 3 wks it finally went through but the carrier is sprint
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyshy24
who is the long distance provider for waupan I know it's not correctional billing so who is it?
The network is owned by Sprint... (hence.. when they say.. "Thank you for using Sprint'.) BUT.. CBS is the company that carries the actual lines to make the collect calls possible. They are the ones that charge you for the calls,.. etc.

He'll be home by June of 08' the latest!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 AM

Thank you so much I've been trying to figure it out so I can talk to my fiance.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Default collect call question

I recently accepted a collect call from my son who is at JCI. The first call didn't go through ( I was using a cordless phone). A short time later, I answered again this time on a regular phone and was able to be connected with him. My question is: is it cheaper to contract with CBS or continue accepting collect calls? I have not received a phone bill yet for the first call. I live near Fond du Lac.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:53 PM

What no one seems to understand is that when someone calls "collect" from the inside, they are actually not calling your phone at all. No matter what number is dialed, or what company owns the phone, the call is going to CBS and if your phone is with a company that they have an agreement with to bill your calls for them (like AT&T) then CBS puts the call through. If your phone is not set up with someone they have an agreement with, then the CBS computer does not place the call unless you have one of the other options of payment set up. CBS is the one that gives the "collect call from an inmate ..." message and records the call. The rates are different than if someone were to call you collect from a phone outside the walls. They are what CBS makes for their service and what ever long distance charges they will be billed for making the call. So it isn't really like calling collect as we know it. There is no cheaper option.

Update: I guess CBS is no longer doing the agreement thing with AT&T, Verizon etc. My guess is you will be getting a bill from CBS. CBS has the contract with Wisconsin DOC. All calls from inside any state correctional facility and some, if not all county jails go through CBS. There is no way around that.

Last edited by darqueyes; 06-05-2007 at 07:56 PM..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi everybody !

Thumbs down

Yes... CBS rules the phone calls... Now if anybody in Europe could reach this phone number : 1-800-844-6591 and get throught the machine that ask you to "enter the telephone number you're calling about" , so, I would be really happy to know it... But above all to know "how"
As it seems this machine is programmed for only 10 numbers and that with the international code it's make 14 numbers and not 10... And that without the international code it makes 9 numbers and not 10, and so that the machine can't recognize it, and again less I guess the american area code they ask you to dial... So, in the best case, you can open a phone account, but then, as you can't go through the machine, so, your pal couldn't phone you as it won't be approved by the Institution as your phone number wasn't recognized by Securus and that the machine follows to say "That is an invalid entry"...
Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 PM
~~ Love you... Always ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah
Yes... CBS rules the phone calls... Now if anybody in Europe could reach this phone number : 1-800-844-6591 and get throught the machine that ask you to "enter the telephone number you're calling about" , so, I would be really happy to know it... But above all to know "how"
As it seems this machine is programmed for only 10 numbers and that with the international code it's make 14 numbers and not 10... And that without the international code it makes 9 numbers and not 10, and so that the machine can't recognize it, and again less I guess the american area code they ask you to dial... So, in the best case, you can open a phone account, but then, as you can't go through the machine, so, your pal couldn't phone you as it won't be approved by the Institution as your phone number wasn't recognized by Securus and that the machine follows to say "That is an invalid entry"...

Try to email them and ask them how you should set up your phone line.

https://www.correctionalbillingservices.com/

Follow this link and find their email address under contact us.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM
funny how the tables turn

Does anyone know the provider for Sturtevant Transitional Facility??
Sturtevant, WI
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 PM

What about IC Solutions? is there any alternative? 6 dollar phone calls are sooooo expensive!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Mad Maddie

Default calls

http://www.securustech.net/

these guys are not that bad
The Following User Says Thank You to Dagnall For This Useful Post:
Siesie617 (01-06-2014)
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 AM

Ok so I only have a cell phone but I am looking into getting a land line so my guy can call us... but since I'm such a noob - how much do the calls from the inmates tend to cost? What are the hours they can call? And did I read the calls are only 15mins long?

Just some insight would be helpful. I've been trying to get the info I want without posting but I'm not seeing it (or just not looking in the right places yet).

Thank you!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Amarella

Thumbs down Options OTHER THAN Securus?

The business you speak of is now called Securus Correctional Billing Services and they are a fraud. Look them up on BBB and see what they get away with. I think the only reason they remain is because they are a Monopoly.

So my question is... is there another option?

What if you don't want to work with Securus?